[2012-Dec-02] What the fuck are they riding in?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Anon21

[2012-Dec-02] What the fuck are they riding in?

Post by Anon21 »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2812

What the fuck are they supposed to be riding in?

Hoo, yeah, I hate when we have to stop the green ... box ... carriage? boat? to let someone go to the bathroom.

Or maybe they're walking? In which case the premise of the strip makes zero sense.

ThatThereLazyGuy

Re: [2012-Dec-2] What the fuck are they supposed to be ridin

Post by ThatThereLazyGuy »

Or maybe they're walking? In which case the premise of the strip makes zero sense.
Yeah, I mean, they should just leave the kid behind so he can go pee. GOD it's like they don't want to leave him all alone miles away from civilization! What freaks.

Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

ThatThereLazyGuy wrote:Yeah, I mean, they should just leave the kid behind so he can go pee. GOD it's like they don't want to leave him all alone miles away from civilization! What freaks.
The reason that the trope ("God, you have to go again? Didn't I tell you before we left?") exists is that in the specific context of highway driving, it is annoying to pull off and also annoying to find a business that allows non-customers to use the restroom. In the context of people walking on a public road in 1595, there is no inconvenience associated with a bathroom break other than the ~40 seconds it would take to accomplish the physical act.

Post by Guest »

Backstory:
I've long been sick of the whole "look down on literature graduates" bollocks that tends to come from here and xkcd.
Yes, I do understand when you make a maths/science/economics/engineering joke. Yes, I do get them. I have something called a brain, and experience of reading books. Much like you, I don't rigidly stick to my academic discipline and could (and have) given undergraduates of more number-based courses a run for their money.

So I'm going to take a lot of glee in this.

Shakespeare didn't take his wife and kids to London with him
He was a deadbeat dad who (depending on your sources) either committed a crime and fled the law, or just plain upped-and-left to forward his career.

When you brought maths to the table, I took it in my stride, but give you a little arts/history and oh how you stumble! How you fall from so high a horse.
Yes, it's a blatant over-reaction, but someone was wrong on the internet and I knew what had to be done. That said person was oftentimes somewhat pious about their learning (and patronising about mine) has irked me no end, and only adds to this, my eventual satisfaction.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Bully for you, guy.
Bully for you.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Anonymous Coward

Post by Anonymous Coward »

I've long been sick of the whole "look down on literature graduates" bollocks that tends to come from here and xkcd.
Don't know if you realized this, but Zach has a Bachelor of Arts in Literature. His second degree (which he only went back for after SMBC became a big deal) is in Physics.

The more you know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Weinersmith

ShallAlwaysBeTooLazyToRegister

Post by ShallAlwaysBeTooLazyToRegister »

A concept, if you will: A joke does not require historical accuracy.

In fact, at the risk of explaining the joke, the joke here is not the reference to having to make a restroom stop but the reference to Romeo & Juliet and it's easily avoidable climax. Given the play was meant to be satirical (it was poking fun at other romance works at the time, and was sadly taken seriously), it's not too far off base either, despite it's historical inaccuracy.

C3ed

Post by C3ed »

Just wanted to point out that Zach drew Shakespeare as a left-handed.
While there is no actual proof about whether he was really right-handed, we believe he was.

Is this some sort of historical conspiracy ? Is Mr Wiener trying to brainwash us all ?
Are left-handed people will, someday, rule the world ?

nobody
[Insert Here]

Post by nobody »

zach's left handed, for freaks like him it seems natural to draw people riding with that most shameful of hands#;

the left one!