the story of a family whose future was abruptly cancelled

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

the story of a family whose future was abruptly cancelled

Post by DonRetrasado »

Happy Arrested Development Day! I've just watched the first five episodes of the new season with the fam'. What's everyone's thoughts?

My initial impressions:
The first two episodes were really, really slow. And more depressing than anything. But it picks up over time. I think the issue is that unlike the original series, which had a lot of standalone episodes, the new series is just one giant story arc (in fact, every episode takes place at the same time). It's also there to tell fans about what all the characters have been doing, and also to set up the highly anticipated future movie. Anyway, it's pretty funny, but not as funny as the original series. Some of the callbacks are also a little hamfisted, which I understand is just to impress fans who've been waiting to hear all the old catchphrases, but frankly isn't pulled-off as well as the original.

I also don't understand why they released all the episodes simultaneously. I feel like the interest surrounding the new season is gonna blow over pretty quickly as a result. I think they were trying to do a high-concept thing where "oh, it all happens at the same time, so every episode should be RELEASED at the same time." Since maybe some crazy person is watching the episodes out-of-sequence, even though that doesn't really make any sense.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: the story of a family whose future was abruptly cancelle

Post by Apocalyptus »

It's because that's what Netflix does with their original series, I imagine because they're trying to make the point that they're not a television channel, so once the show is ready viewers can watch it according to whatever schedule they want. Their other shows Hemlock Grove and House of Cards were available all at once too.

I haven't actually started watching it yet, because Mr Apoc and I are hosting an AD marathon on Thursday with some friends to watch it all at once.
I will be making frozen bananas.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I just finished it, and I largely disagree that it was not as funny as the original. It was funny in a different way, for reasons not least of which because it had to explain exactly what they had been up to for the past eight years as well as tell a story that sets up for the movie. I do agree that many of the references felt hamfisted though.

Overall, I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. It definitely had a different pace as compared to the original series and there were some very questionable decisions made, but for the most part it felt right. More specific thoughts behind the spoilers, rot13'd for that extra bit of protection from stray mouse cursors.

A COUPLE OF MASSIVE WHOLE-SEASON SPOILERS AHOY!

Jub gur shpx gubhtug vg jnf n tbbq vqrn gb unir Frgu Ebtra cbegenl n lbhat Trbetr Oyhgu? Ur ybbxf naq fbhaqf nofbyhgryl abguvat yvxr Wrsserl Gnzobe, naq vg gbbx zr evtug bhg bs nal rcvfbqr gung srngherq uvz. Ng yrnfg gurl unq gur qrprapl gb pnfg Urael Jvaxyre'f fba nf n lbhat Oneel Mhpxrepbea; vg'f hapnaal ubj oryvrinoyr ur jnf.

V terngyl rawblrq gung gurl jbexrq va n ersrerapr gb Gbovnf orvat oynpx gubhtu! Vg jnf n fngvfslvatyl fhogyr ersrerapr. Nyfb rawblnoyr jnf gur ersrerapr gb gur Snyybhg frevrf jura gurl hfrq na Vax Fcbgf fbat bire gur cneg nobhg n ynetr ahzore bs rzcgl pehzoyvat ubzrf va Pnyvsbeavn. V trg gur srryvat gung n ybg bs crbcyr jvyy zvff gung bar, gubhtu.

There were a ton of unresolved plot points though, and I kind of wish they had a few more seasons to explain it all rather than just one movie to tie it all together and end.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

So I was only introduced to the series since the new season, and I have to say I've really enjoyed it.

Also Ed your cypher thing is pretty neato.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Handy, but vaguely disappointing because the cypher is so uncomplicated.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Haven't seen it yet. I just introduced my girlfriend to the original seasons a little bit ago and am still catching her up before we watch the new episodes. We have the last partial season plus a few episodes from the season before left.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.