[2014-01-01] Philosopher rhymes with philosopher

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Jewlian

[2014-01-01] Philosopher rhymes with philosopher

Post by Jewlian »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3224#comic
I usually don't complain about free comics on the interwebs...but goddman. Rhyming "one' with "one" four times is baaaad. Then he had the chutzpath to refer to this as "a comic in verse" in the votey.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Re: [2014-01-01] Philosopher rhymes with philosopher

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I don't see why that is bad.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Jewlian

Post by Jewlian »

There once was a troll named GUTCHUKER
Who came to defend Zach's pure mucker
He deigned to maintain
One should rhyme same with same
You can't possibly be such a sucker.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Who the hell is GUTCHUKER?
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Wouldn't the bigger complaint be that there's no joke? I would have gone with that complaint.

I don't personally see much wrong with the rhyming scheme. If I could be bothered (I can't) I'm sure we could find some professional modern poets who have done similar things. Not saying he should make a career out of it, just saying at least it rhymes.
King Prawn

soulman82

Post by soulman82 »

He's not rhyming "one" with "one", he's rhyming "nursed one" with "cursed one" with "worst one" with "first one". See?

Kipz

Post by Kipz »

One fish
Two fish
Red fish
Blue fish

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Well, you certainly didn't explain why it's a bad thing. I'm not defending the comic, either. I'm just curious.

Jewlian

Post by Jewlian »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Well, you certainly didn't explain why it's a bad thing. I'm not defending the comic, either. I'm just curious.
It's widely considered bad form for the most part because there should be some sense of 'surprise' in the word that the poet chose for the rhyme. It's also trivial rhyme and that takes no effort to come up with. I didn't think I'd have to debate this because it's just so widely accepted to be bad form. Anyways, I can always withdraw this complaint and go with kimra's suggestion of pointing out that there is no joke in this comic.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Look at me! I'm helping!
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Fair nuff

??

Post by ?? »

Jewlian wrote:
GUTCHUCKER wrote:Well, you certainly didn't explain why it's a bad thing. I'm not defending the comic, either. I'm just curious.
It's widely considered bad form for the most part because there should be some sense of 'surprise' in the word that the poet chose for the rhyme. It's also trivial rhyme and that takes no effort to come up with. I didn't think I'd have to debate this because it's just so widely accepted to be bad form. Anyways, I can always withdraw this complaint and go with kimra's suggestion of pointing out that there is no joke in this comic.
Actually it is better in classical poetry right? In modern and contemporary poetry that is not always true. Sometimes the form may be simple because the author wants to emphasise something else? Well I don't really know poetry but I believe it your complying is quite lame...

Post by Guest »

Poe's The Raven rhymes "door" with "door", "lining" with "lining", and "maiden" with maiden" (and these are far from the only examples). Still, it is considered to be pretty darn good.

Post by Guest »

SMBC is not of the quality of The Raven by any means. However, this criticism strikes me as quite foolish primarily for the reason that the complete rhyme isn't just with the word one. The rhyme is between nursed, cursed, worst, and first with one essentially as an appendage to each. Big deal. If the entire rhyme was based on the word "one," I would find the criticism valid. In this case, it's more like complaining that each rhyming word ends with the same syllable.

Tisk

Post by Tisk »

The point wasn't to create rhymes, the point was to repeat "one." It's one of the easiest words to rhyme in the english language, if he'd wanted to, he could have rhymed it.