[2-22-14] Copied joke in today's strip?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

blaine

[2-22-14] Copied joke in today's strip?

Post by blaine »

It's probably just a coincidence, but today's strip is very similar to one I read recently elsewhere. I can't find that strip's provenance, so I've linked an image on Facebook's servers, below. Seriously, couldn't find it even with reverse image search, but I do feel bad linking it without credit.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7857_n.jpg

blaine

Re: [2-22-14] Copied joke in today's strip?

Post by blaine »

Sorry, I meant the strip below, and was referring to the turn of the "joke" (although it's actually a good point too) being that there is an inherent downside in covering the unpleasantness of death with stories about an afterlife infinitely more appealing than reality, which is that anyone who believes it will necessarily embrace death--not only welcome it, but march eagerly into annihilation. If we could let them keep that mentality while somehow arresting their ability to spread the infection of their beliefs, we could be rid of the scourge of religion in no time.

Post by Guest »

Meh. It plays off a similar idea, but one is more related to childlike innocence about the concept of death. Honestly, even if Zach did copy I think he made it better, so kudos on that.

yitzaklr

Post by yitzaklr »

really, a lot of people have this idea at some point. its more of a common idea than copied from that one comic

noone

Post by noone »

Are these 'Zach copied this unrelated comic' posts going to get more common? I hope not.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

noone wrote:Are these 'Zach copied this unrelated comic' posts going to get more common? I hope not.
Look, just because they deal with a similar subject matter doesn't mean they're the same asdgashfaskjgrhsg fkgasgh k awd vgkf kae fterhk OPDSH OQWG F BK uie sfkf g ah uspeot bndcnsd mh a,kmcn eop
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

ALL IDEAS MUST BE COMPLETELY NEW AND INDEPENDENT OF ANY OTHER PREVIOUSLY EXISTING IDEAS EVER.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote:ALL IDEAS MUST BE COMPLETELY NEW AND INDEPENDENT OF ANY OTHER PREVIOUSLY EXISTING IDEAS EVER.
Hey, I think I said that!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:ALL IDEAS MUST BE COMPLETELY NEW AND INDEPENDENT OF ANY OTHER PREVIOUSLY EXISTING IDEAS EVER.
Hey, I think I said that!
Pics or it didn't happen.
King Prawn

46hand

Post by 46hand »

Family Guy already did it

Max Z

Post by Max Z »

I for one am outraged that every time Mr Wiener creates a comic strip he doesn't search through every other comic, novel, film and TV programme till he is sure nothing similar has been done before. I mean, he only does one of these a day. Is it too much to ask that each one is a thought that nobody has had before that is hilariously funny and has something interesting to say about the world? I could produce such a comic strip on a daily basis if I didn't have to spend my days snarking about other people's work on the Internet. I blame Mr Wiener for his failures meaning I have to spend time correcting them, and so the world is denied the benefit of what my art would have been,

He should create a comic strip about that but anyway I'm fairly sure it has been done, and it would be my idea here anyway, and it would be a bit rubbish and unfunny.

Dead on teh inside

Post by Dead on teh inside »

Guest wrote:Meh. It plays off a similar idea, but one is more related to childlike innocence about the concept of death. Honestly, even if Zach did copy I think he made it better, so kudos on that.
the old the last person you want in the army (your squad) is someone who believes in the afterlife

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Dead on teh inside wrote:
Guest wrote:Meh. It plays off a similar idea, but one is more related to childlike innocence about the concept of death. Honestly, even if Zach did copy I think he made it better, so kudos on that.
the old the last person you want in the army (your squad) is someone who believes in the afterlife
Why?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Dead on teh inside wrote:
Ah, but unfortunately there aren't any atheists in foxholes.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Dead on teh inside wrote:the old the last person you want in the army (your squad) is someone who believes in the afterlife
Why?
I have never heard this saying, but I'm guessing it refers to not wanting someone who believes so strongly in the afterlife and martyrdom that they would actually desire dying at the hands of the heathen enemy and receiving their place in the afterlife as a martyr. Basically the stereotype of the religiously motivated suicide bomber.

I've known a lot of US soldiers and even the ones who were very religious never seemed to express the idea that dying in combat would earn them some kind of heavenly reward. Probably partly because even if they thought God was on their side and enemy were a bunch heathen sinners, they still recognized they were solider of the state, not the church. All the religious ones were were also Christians and it has been a while since the mainstream Christian churches really pushed the idea of holy war. It may also be that any bravado aside, none of them felt good about killing people. I'm just guessing though, I never actually asked any of them. They were mostly interested in not going to war in the first place and if they had to, not getting shot or blown up. Some who were wounded in combat even tried to avoid being awarded the purple heart* because they considered it the "You fucked up medal."

*The purple heart is a medal awarded to US soldiers for being wounded or killed in combat in case the context didn't give that away. Some soldiers are very proud of receiving it.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.