:)

Re: [2014-06-04] Efficient market

Post by :) »

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Regular forum goer quoted as saying "nobody actually gives a shit."
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

:) wrote:blah blah whatever
Boy, you really put me in my place.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

DonRetrasado wrote:blah blah whatever
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

HAM SANDWICH
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

:) wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:blah blah whatever
"Bad men need nothing more to compass accomplish their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."
Given that a troll's end is usually to provoke an angry/upset reaction, I think that people looking on and doing nothing is the best course of action really.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

He's* quoting John Stuart Mill, who also brought us such gems as
John Stuart Mill wrote:"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error."

"To refuse a hearing to an opinion, because they are sure that it is false, is to assume that their certainty is the same thing as absolute certainty. All silencing of discussion is an assumption of infallibility. Its condemnation may be allowed to rest on this common argument, not the worse for being common."
I'm just pulling these off the top of Wikiquote. There are like a million of 'em. The guy just goes on and on.

*or she's, et cetera
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Yeah I'm aware of the quote, I just thought it to be a bit absurd in applying it to this situation.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

I completely agree, especially when there are much more pertinent JSM quotes available.

But in the original, it was 'compass'.

Apocalyptus wrote:Given that a troll's end is usually to provoke an angry/upset reaction, I think that people looking on and doing nothing is the best course of action really.
Inaction is fine for the individual reader, but moderators have a responsibility to promote a welcome and interesting environment in forums. The moderators here are not thinking of the people who will be put off from posting here by what passes as worthwhile posting.

And free speech? Really? Do you see a lively collision between truth and error here? :roll:

Clearly people who care about racism, etc. are not particularly wanted around here.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Wow, what an impassioned call for action. I think you've really put our moderators into a corner here, whoever you are who just started posting anonymously in this thread with a strange amount of concern for a troll no-one else cares about. It's great to see that you've taken the charge to speak on behalf of everyone else in the forum too.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I felt personally threatened.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I'm tempted to go back on my word and give a shit.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Sahan wrote:Wow, what an impassioned call for action. I think you've really put our moderators into a corner here, whoever you are who just started posting anonymously in this thread with a strange amount of concern for a troll no-one else cares about. It's great to see that you've taken the charge to speak on behalf of everyone else in the forum too.
I'm posting anonymously because, judging by the general attitude around here, I don't think I'd want to get any more familiar with anyone here. I did sign up for an account but don't want to draw attention by asking for it to be deleted.

I happen to think it's important to confront people with nasty attitudes. Is that so wrong?

When did I speak on behalf of everyone else in the forum? I'm not seeing it.

Surely you guest

Post by Surely you guest »

:) wrote:I happen to think it's important to confront people with nasty attitudes. Is that so wrong?
You have a nasty attitude and should go soak your head.