I HUNGER FOR LINKS

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Re: I HUNGER FOR LINKS

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I no longer have even the slightest interest in seeing American Sniper after reading this.
My buddy and I were talking about this just before he left for basic training. He said the movie sounded cool, but only if it were actually about how murderous and messed-up Chris Kyle was. Unfortunately it seems like a typical "rah rah america" thing.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I think it's so weird that some* people can glorify both the US war of independence and brutal, unnecessary invasions of other countries (not just Iraq).

*a lot of
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

A theme park based around the mundanities of everyday life

No, actually Thomas Jefferson was a really shitty hypocrite about slavery
In another communication from the early 1790s, Jefferson takes the 4 percent formula further and quite bluntly advances the notion that slavery presented an investment strategy for the future. He writes that an acquaintance who had suffered financial reverses “should have been invested in negroes.” He advises that if the friend’s family had any cash left, “every farthing of it [should be] laid out in land and negroes, which besides a present support bring a silent profit of from 5. to 10. per cent in this country by the increase in their value.”
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I wish I'd had this article on-hand when I visited UVA and was given a lovely tour by a T-Jeff fangirl. I don't think more than 30 seconds went by without her mentioning how amazing he was.

Looking forward to this though!
Barto explains proudly that if the length and width of the 18-part mirror was increased so that it covered the US, and its height increased proportionally, there wouldn’t be a mountain or valley higher than two inches (5cm).

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

A couple I'm friends with read a children's book they wrote and illustrated at Goddard and got a tour of the work they were doing on the James Webb out of it. The guy, Steve Archer, was also recently commissioned to compose the music for the NASA video Bennu's Journey about the Osiris-Rex mission.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/ben ... MtvYMr0CBY
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Do you like to eat figs?

Guess what, they're full of dead wasps.

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I've only had dried figs before, and in general I don't care for any dried fruit. I always find it too sweet.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Fresh figs w/goat cheese. Yum yum. Figs and wasps. Yum yum. One of my neighbors has a couple big fig trees (big for the US, not Australia) and the figs I get from them during the fall are the best I've had.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Yeah, fresh figs are the best. When I was sharehouseing with my cousin there was a fig tree in the next yard that would hang over our fence and give us delicious fresh figs in winter to eat straight off the tree, make ginger and fig smoothies and such.

It was quite disappointing when a new guy moved in next door and cut the tree down. My cousin also caught him trying to look in her bedroom window so it seems he was a douche all round.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

My neighbours fig tree is dying and she's about 80 years old and can't fix it and I never built a rapport with her so that I can offer to fix her trees for her. I'm kind of annoyed at myself, but my social anxiety is too impressive to overcome it now just to save a fig tree. I don't even eat figs.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I enjoyed reading this article.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I enjoyed reading this article.
I feel like it's important to remember that a lot of emotionally abusive people hang around in social justice spaces.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

smiley_cow wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I enjoyed reading this article.
I feel like it's important to remember that a lot of emotionally abusive people hang around in social justice spaces.
Yes, for example I've heard of a lot of cases of men becoming well versed in espousing feminist theory and values, very loudly discussing the importance of consent etc., becoming accepted and well known in feminist circles and then going ahead and assaulting multiple people who have trusted them because of this.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

That's actually pretty clever. They don't have to spend a lot on ads 'cause they know if they're weird enough, they'll end up going viral anyway.