Cooking Experiments!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Cooking Experiments!

Post by Edminster »

The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days. We normally eat out because the landlady enjoys 'experimenting' in the kitchen but since she's away I've finally had a chance to cook. I've made tacos, gorditas, totopos de maiz, quesadillas, pico de gallo, and tostadas over the course of the weekend and am utterly happy. I didn't take pictures of any of them but the boyfriend had enough presence of mind to snag one of the tostada I made for him.

Life Is Good.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

stomach twinging in hunger

I made another mango and cardamom cheesecake, this one for my one of my housemates' birthday. Sitting on the table cooling, now.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days.
Why can you only visit your boyfriend when his landlady is away?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:
Edminster wrote:The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days.
Why can you only visit your boyfriend when his landlady is away?
Answering this in the pet peeves thread because honestly that's the place for it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Edminster wrote:The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days. We normally eat out because the landlady enjoys 'experimenting' in the kitchen but since she's away I've finally had a chance to cook. I've made tacos, gorditas, totopos de maiz, quesadillas, pico de gallo, and tostadas over the course of the weekend and am utterly happy. I didn't take pictures of any of them but the boyfriend had enough presence of mind to snag one of the tostada I made for him.

Life Is Good.
That looks fucking delicious. On the topic of Mexican food, I am really excited to visit La Tortilleria, which is a place my Mum just told me about that make their own traditional nixtamalised corn tortillas from scratch, as well as being a restaurant.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I have a complicated relationship with Mexican food. Mexican food in Mexico: Great! Fantastic! I was there three times for 2-3 weeks each for work and I was able to eat delicious things each and every day. Something that I usually only manage in Germany and Italy. Man, nothing can beat Italian food.
Mexican food outside of Mexico: OMG what is this terrible stuff?! There never seems to be anything remotely edible among it. Not sure how they manage to do it. Maybe it's because Mexican restaurants outside of Mexico only have spicy stuff on the menu and in Mexico I always pick the not-spicy food. (And everywhere else. Spicy food is really not my thing.)

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

It varies a huge amount. You get pretty good at differentiating. I've had a fair bit that has left me queasy and anxious for the commode.

Carrburritos, for instance, is fantastic. I haven't been to Mexico except as a foetus, so I can't tell you if it's 100% authentic, but it's the most gourmet-quality Mexican food I've had and it still manages to be really casual. Just down the road (not even three minutes walking) is Armadillo Grill, a Tex-Mex restaurant. Very different, not authentic Mexican, but super delicious.

Then there are fusion-type places, like Crafted: Art of the Taco*, which expressly says on the menu that they are not a Mexican restaurant, but a taco restaurant. A couple of my friends have been disappointed because they didn't make that connection, but I dig that they're not trying to be something they aren't.

*The head chef/owner just opened a second restaurant, Crafted: Art of the Street Food, which might be even better than the first. There's a Central/South American section and a [Southeast] Asian section. Every item on the menu can be made vegetarian, with two choices for replacement protein (tofu or seitan) and all but a couple can be made vegan. I almost cried. Again, these street food items might not be completely authentic in their preparation/taste, but they're crazy delicious. They don't have any durian dishes, sadly.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Astrogirl wrote:Durian? This fruit? https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
Yes, that delicious fruit.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:delicious
Why are you using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

It would be a little too obvious to say that's inconceivable.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

My Breakfast:
-fried bell peppers (burnt on the outside, tough on the inside!)
-fried egg (yolk got broken, was generally a mess)
-frozen hash browns (by far the best part of the meal, but incredibly salty)

That's about the most involved cooking I've done before. It wasn't amazing but everything was edible! And the most time-intensive food by far was the hash browns, which spent 20 minutes in the oven, and meant that I could finish everything well in time to pick out courses and get to work.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:delicious
Why are you using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means.
It means pleasant to eat, like Durian is. So custardy and sweet...

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Yum. It's like a pre-made dessert.

Made some delicious banana bread. Gone through it pretty quickly. Guess I'll have to make another???

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Maybe durian bread???

Habeneros are so delicious. I like using them in garlic & butter sauces for pastas. The chocolate habeneros I had were even more delicious but almost scarily hot.