[2014-1-21] Wherein Zach steals jokes from other comics

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Re: [2014-1-21] Wherein Zach steals jokes from other comics

Post by DonRetrasado »

Would you rather have a billion hilarious jokes but some might be similar, or the ability to tell if a joke is a rip-off or not instantly
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

DonRetrasado wrote:Would you rather have a billion hilarious jokes but some might be similar, or the ability to tell if a joke is a rip-off or not instantly
Yes, I would.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

a1s

Post by a1s »

DonRetrasado wrote:Would you rather have a billion hilarious jokes but some might be similar, or the ability to tell if a joke is a rip-off or not instantly
I already have that second one- turns out virtually all jokes are ripoffs, and very few "authors" will own up, even after you show them the originals. This is very frustrating, since I got it because I wanted to be right. What I'm saying is... I should have picked the billion.

StCredZero

Post by StCredZero »

So the "protagonists people" went from incest and murder to just incest...and murder. Progress!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

a1s wrote:
I already have that second one- turns out virtually all jokes are ripoffs, and very few "authors" will own up, even after you show them the originals. This is very frustrating, since I got it because I wanted to be right. What I'm saying is... I should have picked the billion.
You are an idiot. Originality has been dead a long while. It's been long-dead since the advent of these here interwebs.

GGf

Post by GGf »

I demand that Zach steal the following joke:
Tetsuro: So that’s Mars.
Maetel: They’ve raised the air pressure here up to the levels on Earth, but it’s taken them a century to do so.
Tetsuro: They created it artificially?
Maetel: Exactly. It’s a place where humans can live without any difficulty. Yet, the only ones who live here are people with machine bodies.
Tetsuro: So they didn’t even have to bother raising the air pressure to Earth levels.
Maetel: Indeed. It was a complete waste of effort.
— Galaxy Express 999

Post by Guest »

That is not a joke.

You can't just have two characters relating facts, even fictional made up facts, and call it a joke. Yes, you could make a joke with that concept, but the delivery of the dialogue is so far from being fashioned in anyway proximate to any acceptable form of what could be called a "joke," that it simply can't qualify. I'll assume that's why you posted it in mockery. Regardless, I weep for the sad sack who wrote that actually believing it to qualify as a joke.

Post by Guest »

And then after posting that I look it up and see it's a manga.

It's plausible that it actually was a joke, but the translation did a disservice to it.

GGf

Post by GGf »

Japanese humor can be a bit on the dry side for the uninitiated...

als

Post by als »

Well the joke is that if someone raises an attribute like pressure or temperature for a whole planet, they must be doing it on purpose. And we're not. (You thought I was talking about Mars. 8) )

a1s

Post by a1s »

Ask and ye shall receive.

Nox Noxorious

Post by Nox Noxorious »

These kind of joke is very old, and it doesnt mean it is a ripoff. There is no new snow, that is all.
There is a 100 years (yes, 100) old jewish joke similar to this, about a russian eating the heads of some fish to get smarter.
There are thousands of variations.

ButtFriendly

Post by ButtFriendly »

I'm not so sure about the other jokes in this thread either. Plenty of wiggle room.

The one mentioned by a1s above is, however, a blatantly obvious direct ripoff.

Post by Guest »

It's obviously the same exact idea. I wouldn't say it's obviously a ripoff, because the idea isn't that hard to come up with. I'm sure many people who don't make comics or tell jokes for a living have also thought of it. Also, I don't know the source of the cited comic, it looks like it might be a very limited circulation (read: low hits) comic, which would cast further doubt on Zach having stolen it.

what do you mean, Username?

Post by what do you mean, Username? »

[2015-08-16] newspaper headline: Zach's Economist jokes are always ethical to steal for amusement!
it's true, based on supply/demand curves.