[9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

bobusdoleus

[9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Post by bobusdoleus »

Help. I feel like a dumb. I do not understand this comic even slightly.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Post by Kaharz »

One question that may be on a bioethics exam would concern animal testing.* So I assume instead of giving their own answer, the student is just going to agree with the professor. I'm just guessing that is the point. It isn't a very good joke.

*for medical purposes, since medicine and scientific research is mostly what bioethics is concerned with. Not whether a new mascara will irritate a rabbit's eyes.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I read it as the student being the animal subject in question being "tested" and that's how they avoid the exam.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Old Red Biscuit

Post by Old Red Biscuit »

That's how I read it as well. The test he's about to take is for non-medical purposes, and he's tricked the teacher into saying she doesn't agree with that. Most amusing.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I read it as the student being the animal subject in question being "tested" and that's how they avoid the exam.
Probably a better interpretation than mine.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

bobusdoleus

Post by bobusdoleus »

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Thanks a lot! I feel more with it and hip to the doo-dad now.

walkerite

Post by walkerite »

And the mouseover text demonstrates that the difference is that the student is taking the exam voluntarily, unlike the 100 million+ beings we 'sacrifice' to ourselves every year.

Post by Guest »

walkerite wrote:And the mouseover text demonstrates that the difference is that the student is taking the exam voluntarily, unlike the 100 million+ beings we 'sacrifice' to ourselves every year.
wat.
(for the record, mine just says "The only downside was the F.")

walkerite

Post by walkerite »

Re: Guest - If a student doesn't wish to take a test, they just fail. If a non-human animal doesn't wish to take a test, they'll be starved or beaten until they do, then killed when they are of no more use to their experimenters. I.e. this comic hinges on the different contexts of the word 'test'.

Post by Guest »

walkerite wrote: this comic hinges on the different contexts of the word 'test'.
Well, I got that. What you should have said is that your reading hinges of the context of the word 'downside'. i.e "I had to endure this much punishment" vs. "I had to endure this little punishment". Thank you for explaining it though.