[2015-10-13] Benefits of Insider Trading

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

RealGrouchy

[2015-10-13] Benefits of Insider Trading

Post by RealGrouchy »

http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3890

Panel 3 is from a true story. They* actually did spend ungodly sums of money to build fiber-optic lines between Chicago and New York on improbably straight paths through ridiculous ground conditions, just to get a couple milliseconds' advantage over the competition (*evil people who used this to screw people over for profit), even paying princely sums to have their trading servers located in the rack closest to where the connection comes in the building. The book retraces the steps of the Canuck trader who smelled something amiss and upon much investigation discovered what was happening.

Ther's a book about this called "Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt" by Michael Lewis, and despite being about hedge fund financing and IT infrastructure, is actually very well written and quite a page-turner. I highly recommend it.

- RG>

Quantumplation

Re: [2015-10-13] Benefits of Insider Trading

Post by Quantumplation »

Can we get that last frame as a t-shirt?

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Quantumplation wrote:Can we get that last frame as a t-shirt?
No.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I second that no.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?