[2015-11-1] Sorf

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Peon

[2015-11-1] Sorf

Post by Peon »

Three squared isn't eight in base eleven, it's nine. Votey failed.
Ask the next question.

Five

Re: [2015-11-1] Sorf

Post by Five »

Because Sorf is three, eight is nine.

fiercedeity

Post by fiercedeity »

^^ "Sorf is three, three is four, four is five, et cetera."

Peon

Post by Peon »

Oh yeah, duh. I was careful with the sorf to the sorf power but I'm used to nonstandard bases adding the extra numbers after nine. Carry on.
Ask the next question.

dgcaste

Post by dgcaste »

That must be embarrassing.

VK

Post by VK »

Isn't 2*sorfteen-1 in traditional decimal 25. Shouldn't it be +1?

Pauk

Post by Pauk »

Nine is ten, so ten is eleven. So sorfteen is 14, 2*14-1=27 in decimal, twenty-four in snorf.

one two sorf three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven thelve sorfteen thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty-one twenty-two twenty-snorf twenty-three twenty-four twenty-five twenty-six twenty-seven twenty-eight twenty-nine thirty

Five

Post by Five »

Sorfteen=14
2*14=28
28-1=27
Sorf=3
3^3=27

1 2 Sorf 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Sorfteen

Five

Post by Five »

Pauk is such a ninja. This forum even showed me your post but I still had submit mine.

Toper

Post by Toper »

I just came in to say I'm impressed that what's-his-name actually did get it right, though it took me a couple minutes to figure out.
Pauk wrote:thelve
This, however, is my favorite part of the thread.

Mizsó

Post by Mizsó »

Tell me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion she isn't right, not even technically. Three is two plus one by definition, unless defined otherwise previously. One can't say a word not meaning what it usually means consensually, without declare it beforehand. (Sorry if I made some grammar mistake, english is not my native language.)

muteKi

Post by muteKi »

Mizsó wrote:Tell me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion she isn't right, not even technically. Three is two plus one by definition, unless defined otherwise previously. One can't say a word not meaning what it usually means consensually, without declare it beforehand. (Sorry if I made some grammar mistake, english is not my native language.)
That's only sorfta right, though. Like, in an academic context it's usually okay to not define commonly-used terms in a field, but "commonly-used" changes as soon as you get outside of that field. Not only do lots of communities studying related phenomena have a completely separate set of vocabulary for it depending on the traditions they came from, communities studying mostly unrelated stuff probably don't have any idea what the commonly-used terms in the other fields even are.

That's how you get stuff like the medical researchers who invented calculus a few years back. They didn't even know that "trapezoid rule" referred to something in the mathematical field, let alone that it was well-understood and wouldn't require specific definition in a paper.

And that's among humans, who all live on the same planet and have means of communicating with one another. Why would we assume that the aliens in the thought experiment would even agree with us on using a base-10 system for counting? Which is the point -- numbers refer to something specific in order for math to work correctly (i.e., in a math system where sorf = 3, and 2 < sorf < 3, then 0=1, 1=2, etc. and the math system we just defined prevents any useful logical inference) but numerals can be defined arbitrarily.

Like, if sorf is to represent a specific number we could say there are sorf dots in an ellipsis ("...") and not break math, but we can't say that a colon (":") also has sorf dots in it. (And if "sorf" means "less than what we'd call 4 in any other context" then we can't use it for counting.)

sarwanov

Post by sarwanov »

sort is there.four is five , five is six etc.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Post by Guest »

Mizsó wrote:Tell me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion she isn't right, not even technically. Three is two plus one by definition, unless defined otherwise previously. One can't say a word not meaning what it usually means consensually, without declare it beforehand. (Sorry if I made some grammar mistake, english is not my native language.)
It has been defined ("Three is sorf* plus one", "(*)sorf is two plus one"), but the other character is not informed of this.

dankmememaster

Post by dankmememaster »

big math fail there ya