Microaggression? Microaggression!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: I read the news today, oh boy

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Astrogirl wrote:Just no.
Right?

Skip the middle-man.
Take my weekend course on taxidermy, and you can put the actual severed head of your loved ones on your mantle.

My recent presence in this thread has taken a dark, dark turn.

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist »

And just in time for Christmas. Imagine looking into your stocking to find your own semi-eternally preserved head. Or would you be looking out from your stocking? Hmm. Anyway, it is the perfect gift.
The tracks are curved and my train of thought accelerates tangentially. Whooo whooooo.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I think I'm going to write it into my will that they have to keep my ashes in an urn shaped like my head. So I can creep everyone out from the grave.
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Don't die in Germany, here getting buried is legally required.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Oh man I want to make a joke but it is in terrible taste and incredibly inappropriate so I'll just spoiler tag it.

Gee, it seems a bit of an overreaction, no? Just because several million people were cremated against their will is no reason to ban the practice altogether.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:Don't die in Germany, here getting buried is legally required.
It's okay, I always get the travel insurance which means they'll cart my dead body back to Australia. I hope everyone on the plane knows I'm in the bag compartment with their bags. I really hope they do. (Apparently) I want my death to creep out as many people as possible.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I poked around out of curiosity. Apparently you can be cremated in Germany, but then the ashes have to be buried. No sitting on someone's mantle or being scattered to the wind.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Cremation is legal, but the urn has to go into the ground, then.

I don't know why the state thinks it can rule what we do with our bodies after death. Only recently burials following Muslim traditions (in a cloth) have been allowed and only on some cemeteries.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

My dad is actually a big proponent of "green burials" here in the US where there's no embalming or anything and you get buried in a nice biodegradable container* in a non-standard graveyard.** He's gotten one of the nature preserves he manages approved for green burials and they'll be starting in the next couple years. I'm really excited myself about them taking off, because how horribly unnatural are burials now? Visiting a passed loved one now, you're surrounding yourself with hundreds or thousands of reminders of death, whereas in a green burial location in the woods, you're surrounding yourself with life, and seeing your loved one transformed around you into something beautiful.***

*A wooden coffin, burlap sack, what have you
**Random spot in some woods
***I get real sappy
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:My dad is actually a big proponent of "green burials" here in the US where there's no embalming or anything and you get buried in a nice biodegradable container* in a non-standard graveyard.** He's gotten one of the nature preserves he manages approved for green burials and they'll be starting in the next couple years. I'm really excited myself about them taking off, because how horribly unnatural are burials now? Visiting a passed loved one now, you're surrounding yourself with hundreds or thousands of reminders of death, whereas in a green burial location in the woods, you're surrounding yourself with life, and seeing your loved one transformed around you into something beautiful.***
I haven't made a will, but if/when I do, I think green burial is what I'd prefer. And, I'll be honest, it was Six Feet Under that put me onto that. I mean, I'm okay with cremation as well, but only insofar as the placement of my urn/ashes doesn't take up more real-estate than an urn/ashes should. But I have no wish for an embalming, viewing, and the type of burial that goes with it. But that's because the viewing has never given me the closure that it seems to be intended to do.
I mean, I didn't even see my grandfather in the coffin except at a distance. It wasn't who I remembered by any stretch of the imagination. Nor with the other viewings in my life. Closure, for me, comes with the reminiscing, being with friends/family, and so forth. With my grandfather it hit hard with being a pallbearer, but that would've been the same in a green burial.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Put me down as a +1 for ditch funeral, real excited to be buried with you guys
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

So if I remember right, my state had a rule that a licensed funeral home / undertaker had to conduct an burial or cremation within 3 days if the body was not embalmed. But there was a bit of a loophole. A regular citizen had no legal obligation to report a corpse if there was no criminal implication and no health risk to the public. That was until a woman that had died of natural causes was found six months or so after death in a family's chest freezer because they couldn't afford burial and the state realized they couldn't press charges. Law can get weird. I don't know if the law actually got changed to close the loophole.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:My dad is actually a big proponent of "green burials" here in the US where there's no embalming or anything and you get buried in a nice biodegradable container* in a non-standard graveyard.** He's gotten one of the nature preserves he manages approved for green burials and they'll be starting in the next couple years. I'm really excited myself about them taking off, because how horribly unnatural are burials now? Visiting a passed loved one now, you're surrounding yourself with hundreds or thousands of reminders of death, whereas in a green burial location in the woods, you're surrounding yourself with life, and seeing your loved one transformed around you into something beautiful.***

*A wooden coffin, burlap sack, what have you
**Random spot in some woods
***I get real sappy
This made your dad sound like the Balangalow State Forest Killer.

Side note: Burn me and toss me in a nice bit of ocean.*

*when I'm dead only please
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Burial in a designated "Friedwald" ("peace forest") is now also allowed in Germany. But only urns can be buried there.