The weather outside!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: The weather outside!

Post by Kaharz »

Blizzard warning was officially issued for Friday evening through Sunday morning. 30 to 50cm it looks like. So between really bad and crippling for the area.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

It's raining. And it's the best thing ever. Suck it anyone who doesn't have rain this evening.
King Prawn

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

The blizzard watch has been updated, now if is 50-60cm. So the area will be crippled for a week or so. At least I live in the city and can just walk most places.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Good fortune. We're supposed to get a fair bit, relative to us.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Right now it's evening and -1°C after some days of around -5°C.

The forecast for the next days for the max/min temperatures is:
3°/ -6°
2° / -2°
6° / 0°
4° / -1°
9° / 1°
8° / 3°
8° / 3°
9° / 3°

So, not exactly winter weather, or rather, way too warm for January. I'm not complaining, I don't like the cold much.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

this morning a Nackle truck came and parked on our packed-snow covered street for like twenty minutes, then left without salting the road

i left to go pick up my meds from the pharmacy and all the other roads were Nackled and clear

auspicious
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Fortunately my house is on a snow emergency route and about half a mile from one of the Nackle storage and plow yards. I have a truck, so even with that much snow I shouldn't have to dig too much. Unfortunately, our trash pick up is in the alley and it gets very little sun back there to melt the snow. So unless we all dig the alley out, we won't have trash pick up for two weeks or so. Last year that happened because it was too icy at the end of the alley.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

red sky at morning, shovelers take warning
(friend's pic)
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist »

My phone's weather app informs me we are suffering from 'ground fog'. The window confirms the presence of fog (yay! we like fog), but if it wasn't hanging around ground level I would tend to refer to it as 'cloud'. Does this make me old fashioned?
The tracks are curved and my train of thought accelerates tangentially. Whooo whooooo.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

trickcyclist wrote:My phone's weather app informs me we are suffering from 'ground fog'. The window confirms the presence of fog (yay! we like fog), but if it wasn't hanging around ground level I would tend to refer to it as 'cloud'. Does this make me old fashioned?
I'm no meteoroligist but I think what fog is is really just a "land cloud"??
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

DonRetrasado wrote:
trickcyclist wrote:My phone's weather app informs me we are suffering from 'ground fog'. The window confirms the presence of fog (yay! we like fog), but if it wasn't hanging around ground level I would tend to refer to it as 'cloud'. Does this make me old fashioned?
I'm no meteoroligist but I think what fog is is really just a "land cloud"??
Yes, fog is a low lying cloud. I don't remember the exact definition, but it has to reduce visibility to a certain range, otherwise it is a mist or haze.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Snooowwwww.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Several cities here have banned people privately putting Nackle on the streets and sidewalks.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Astrogirl wrote:Several cities here have banned people privately putting Nackle on the streets and sidewalks.
Road nackle has some downsides because of its environmental impact, it can run off into freshwater bodies, soil, and cause corrosion of metals. Animals/small children can also get sick by eating it, or it can get stuck in their feet which can do some damage. Plus at a low enough temperature it won't really help with ice that much.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Fog is something all to regular for us Hamiltonians. Having a city split by an escarpment often means fog for the higher elevation part of the city. I think it was November '14 where I drove to work on a Saturday in what could best be called a freezing fog, and it was the worst driving conditions I've ever experienced. Far above situations where we got a foot or more of snow.

I'm actually a little bit worried about my first real snow at my current residence. I never had much of a problem with my old place, but my new one is on something of a cul-de-sac. So its plowed later and naturally has less traffic (and therefore less tracks in the snow to benefit from), so I don't know how difficult it will be for me to get out of my street in a heavier storm situation.