too many gay couples

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

foerno

too many gay couples

Post by foerno »

i like how Zach portrays normal couple situations using both straight and gay characters but i feel the SMBC population differs significantly from the general population by the number of homosexual people, being skewed towards the gay side. has anyone run any statistical tests on that?

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: too many gay couples

Post by Kaharz »

Really? This again?
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: too many bigots

Post by Kimra »

"Hey guys, I feel uncomfortable seeing all these 'gays', can someone go and run the numbers for me because I'm also incredibly lazy?"
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Well here's the numbers from the last time it came up a few years ago:
Carcinogeneticist wrote:Just for fun, I went through every comic from the last 4 months and tallied up every depiction/reference to a romantic/sexual partner:

Hetero: 35
Homo: 6
Zombie: 2
Robot: 1
Dinosaur: 1
TOTAL: 45

There were also a handful of relationships left too ambivalent to tally, but as you can see the representation of homosexual couples in SMBC is actually far closer to reality than you claim.
if somebody less lazy than I am would like to compile a new four-month tally, that would be nice.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

And yet replicants remain entirely underrepresented within the SMBC canon
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Post by Guest »

foerno wrote:SMBC population differs significantly from the general population
SMBC is a comic. Since there are more issues (psych, not political) towards homo- than heterosexuals, it stands to reason they would show up more often in comedy. Honestly, I'd say they are underrepresented.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I'm angling for more robot-dinosaur relationships
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Wait. In that whole four month stretch there wasn't a single lizard couple? Zach is slacking.
King Prawn

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Kimra wrote:Wait. In that whole four month stretch there wasn't a single lizard couple? Zach is slacking.
Lizardmen are an invisible minority. It is both a weakness (in that they don't show up in comics) and a strength (in that they did 9/11)
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

DonRetrasado wrote:Lizardmen are an invisible minority. It is both a weakness (in that they don't show up in comics) and a strength (in that they did 9/11)
Just because they did 9/11 doesn't mean they shouldn't get representation. #notalllizardmen
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Why are you all spreading anti-lizardmen propaganda? Bush did 9/11 and he is not a lizardman.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

OK but what do you say to this indisputable proof that I found on non-partisan news site google images:

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Dude everyone knows Google is owned by owned by Alphabet, which is owned by Larry Page, who I've heard once shook hands with "Shillary" Clinton. It's obviously biased.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Destructicus

Post by Destructicus »

DonRetrasado wrote: Lizardmen are an invisible minority. It is both a weakness (in that they don't show up in comics) and a strength (in that they did 9/11)
Shillary ain't exactly invisible.

BigWhoCares

Post by BigWhoCares »

Ok, I was curious so I looked at comics from the last 5 months. This was counting people in relationships, or where there was a clear romantic/sexual attraction, where both were depicted in the comic.
Hetero: 10
Homo: 4
That's more than 25% of all relationships depicted as being homosexual, though this is a very small sample. One thing to note though is that all the homosexual relationships were between two males, and 3 of the 4 depicted them having sex. To me it seems that homosexual relationships receive different treatment to heterosexual relationships in this comic.