[2016-06-09] Golden Goose

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

jgh

[2016-06-09] Golden Goose

Post by jgh »

Classic physics problem. How to ensure Oxygen-18 + Iron-56 = Gold-197 occurs sustainably.

Pedant

Re: [2016-06-09] Golden Goose

Post by Pedant »

I don't think Zach understand how shorting works.
In order to short Gold, you have to borrow Gold, not money. Once you borrow Gold, you sell it, hope for the price to drop, then buy it back a lower price and give it back to the person you borrowed it from.

In any case, the owner of this goose would be long gold to start with, so would actually profit form an increase in the price of Gold.

So an Economist would actually recommend not publicising it and sell your Gold as the goose produces it, in order to maximise your profit.

Flora

Post by Flora »

The hover text mentions what a physicist would do. I can't tell if it was an intentional reference or not, so I wanted to share the amusing existence of Pate de Foie Gras.

Enjoy your day.

gvest

Post by gvest »

You can short gold by simultaneously publicizing the goose and selling it off at an auction. Since it is a unique item, the goose is likely to get sold above it's ROI value. The only danger, of course, is someone buying up all the cheap gold, and killing the goose.