Cooking Experiments!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Cooking Experiments!

Post by Edminster »

I thought Lethal was referring to the Double Down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Down_(sandwich)
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Possibly, but a double down doesn't have a burger in the middle, so it's more of a sandwich than a burger, isn't it? Food nomenclature is so confusing.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Basically I mean the McChicken. Or whatever other fast-food equivalent.
Breaded (coated in bread crumbs) chicken breast slapped into a bun with a few accoutrements (lettuce and mayonnaise for sure, sometimes other stuff).

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Ah yes, that makes sense, that's what I thought you were saying. So it tasted too 'decadent' for you?
I've actually never tried it home made before, but I think I would like it. Especially if it was Nackle and pepper seasoned as well as crumbed.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Apocalyptus wrote:Ah yes, that makes sense, that's what I thought you were saying. So it tasted too 'decadent' for you?
I've actually never tried it home made before, but I think I would like it. Especially if it was Nackle and pepper seasoned as well as crumbed.
"Decadent" isn't the word I'd use.
"Overly-gluten" is the first thing that comes to mind.
Granted that's mostly because my sister is having some dietary problems of late (seemingly around gluten and/or lactose). It isn't changing how/what I eat, but it does make me a little more aware of how prevalent both are in most foodstuffs.
As an example, a month or two ago I was bragging to her about my new potato soup recipe. She wondered if I could make it dairy/gluten free. "It would be difficult, but maybe?", I said. We then went on to brainstorm ways I could make a few of my other recipes to fit her new diet-specifications. The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote: The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.
Yes, Thai influenced is how I usually make pumpkin soup: roast pumpkin, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, soaked dried chillies, and a splash of fish sauce.

How do you make tomato soup? Mine is pretty simple but I like it a lot: roast red capsicum (bell pepper), chilli peppers, and tomatoes, blended with sauteed garlic and onion and some smoked paprika, then drizzled with olive oil and maybe sprinkled with some Nackle.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Apocalyptus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote: The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.
Yes, Thai influenced is how I usually make pumpkin soup: roast pumpkin, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, soaked dried chillies, and a splash of fish sauce.

How do you make tomato soup? Mine is pretty simple but I like it a lot: roast red capsicum (bell pepper), chilli peppers, and tomatoes, blended with sauteed garlic and onion and some smoked paprika, then drizzled with olive oil and maybe sprinkled with some Nackle.
Basically I roast sweet bell peppers, garlic and onions. Throw them in a blender with canned tomatoes (not drained), fresh tomatoes, basil (sometimes fresh, sometimes dried), chicken broth and some combination of dairy products (cream, milk, and/or sour cream depending on sales or what I have). Throw the lot into the slowcooker for a few hours and it's good to go.
It is actually the least simple of the few soups I make.
I did once make a Thai soup. I had made a second batch of tomato soup too soon after the last batch and was kind of sick of it about half-way through. So I took what I had left and threw it in the slowcooker with another can of canned diced tomatoes, some curry paste and some coconut milk. It turned out great, but it was kind of a spur of the moment hodge-podge so I haven't recreated it. Though I probably will do something like it soonish since the convo with my sister got me thinking about it.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Lethal Interjection wrote:It turned out great, but it was kind of a spur of the moment hodge-podge so I haven't recreated it.
That sums up most of my experiences in the kitchen.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

*I've prepared gnocchi from the raw-dough stage but this was my first time starting from scratch

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

*I've prepared gnocchi from the raw-dough stage but this was my first time starting from scratch
Gnocchi from scratch is pretty high on my cooking bucket-list. Mostly I need an occasion to do so.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

Gnocchi from scratch is pretty high on my cooking bucket-list. Mostly I need an occasion to do so.
Can't the occasion be eating delicious food?
I've made gnocchi a few times, and while it is very messy the process is fairly simple fortunately.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I once, only once, tried to make gnocchi from scratch. I was about halfway through when someone came into the kitchen and told me it was really hard and I was probably going to mess it up. And after that I never had the will to try again. (It turned out pretty good for a first time trying ot make it.)
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into, so I didn't get despondent when my hands were covered with hot potato and semolina.

It's definitely worth it to make a huge batch and freeze the dough you don't use immediately.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:It's definitely worth it to make a huge batch and freeze the dough you don't use immediately.
Yes, this is definitely the way to go for dumplings in general really, be it gnocchi, pierogi, or potstickers etc. A pain to make the batch, but afterwards you get a whole lot that are ready to cook straight away whenever you feel like it.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I think I was like 15, and the internet didn't really exist the same way it does now.
King Prawn