Thisfox

Re: [2016-11-12] John Searle's Chinese Room

Post by Thisfox »

I'm stumped too.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

MeisterKleister

Post by MeisterKleister »

"The Chinese Room" thought experiment is a famous argument by philosopher John Searle against the possibility of "strong" (conscious) AI.

It goes something like this:
You are locked inside a room which is part of a system that passes the Turing test in Chinese (ie. some Chinese guy is chatting with you via text thinking you're a genuine Chinese speaker).
But in fact you're just using a set of (presumably unimaginably complex) rules to process the Chinese letters and output a coherent response. You don't understand any of the Chinese, therefore there is no understanding of Chinese and no consciousness in the Chinese room.

I think the rebuttal is pretty simple: the system itself does "understand" Chinese. And this "understanding" would be indistinguishable from human understanding in every practical sense.

Related comic strip:

For more see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room
Last edited by MeisterKleister on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

GollyRojer

Post by GollyRojer »

What he thought was a Chinese room actually belonged to a guy named Schrödinger.

Billie34

Post by Billie34 »

Strong AI, according to Searle, "the computer is not only a tool in the study of the mind, but the properly designed computer truly is a mind in the sense that computers with the right programs can word wipe literally be said to understand and have other cognitive states."