Post More Inane Drivel

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: Post More Inane Drivel

Post by Apocalyptus »

Hooray! Living on your own is pretty good.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I'm probably going to join you soon.

Toronto, right?
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I'm probably going to join you soon.

Toronto, right?
That depends, what do you mean by "join me"?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

DonRetrasado wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I'm probably going to join you soon.

Toronto, right?
That depends, what do you mean by "join me"?
I'm in the closet.

But really, I do want to live alone alone for at least a year or two.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Having a place that is all yours is pretty great. I only got to live alone for about nine months, but it was a fantastic nine months. I got so much sleep.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I'm in the closet.
hopefully that can change once you move out of north carolina
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kaharz wrote:Having a place that is all yours is pretty great. I only got to live alone for about nine months, but it was a fantastic nine months. I got so much sleep.
It would be pretty hard to part from my solo domicile, even though it can be a struggle financially. I've been on my own for about 5 years now.
At this point I can see 2, maybe 3 situations where I'd be willing to step back into a shared-living situation:
1. A significant other. It would be a huge adjustment, but living with someone who I was in relationship with, and who I could consider to have a lengthy future with.
2. Some level of shared living with long-term friend(s) where I'm reasonably certain personal areas/space could be achieved.
3. Shared living with a new(ish) friend where I feel there is a somewhat kindred spirit situation.

So far I've only seen a potential in a kinda/sorta #2.
I can see a potential #3 (the hardest to step into) on the horizon, but that's largely speculative and would require a living space that was heavier on personal space as opposed to shared.
#1 seems to be, at best, a vague idea.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

My last roommates were ideal. It was another couple that I am good friends with. They had a house in the neighborhood I wanted to move to, they extremely respectful of my personal space, we had a great division of labor and there were never any issues over money. The only reason I moved out is because I wanted my own place. I only moved out to live with my girlfriend, now wife. Our situation is less than ideal as roommates go, but is worth it. She lived alone for 12 years and is still adjusting to living with someone and having opposite schedules causes a fair amount of conflict. Neither of us get as much sleep as we would like.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kaharz wrote:My last roommates were ideal. It was another couple that I am good friends with. They had a house in the neighborhood I wanted to move to, they extremely respectful of my personal space, we had a great division of labor and there were never any issues over money.
I was hopeful that a similar situation would arise for me recently. A couple I was quite close to was looking for actual housing (rather than the rentals they'd previously lived in) for the first time in their history. Unfortunately the local market (plus their finances) proved difficult, and unfortunately they were unable to find a place that could be viable for both their family (2 adults and a 5-yr-old) and myself (living in a relatively autonomous apartment situation).
Thankfully they found appropriate housing.
Alas it wasn't enough for me to be included. Not enough space/amenities/so on... to precipitate my relocation.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Things are going well so far on my own! I hate washing dishes and the faucet leaks but everything else so far is great. I'm also not used to cooking for myself; so far, I am Bad at it.

The real thing that's killing me right now is my new job. I'm working Monday through Friday for 6-7 hours with an hour-long commute. It's the most I've worked in my whole life and it sucks!! I'm too exhausted to really do anything fun with the modest amount of money I get. The job is OK; a little repetitive, but I don't have to deal with the public anymore. I've also started to run into the workplace drama; I get along with pretty much everyone, but we're getting into pretty regular fights about really dumb crap, and people expect me to take sides when I don't really understand any of the nonsensical conflicts going on. I plan to stay here for up to a year, so I'm really trying to keep my head down on this.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

The whole regular hours day job thing can take a bit to get used to, but most people do. Sometimes that is kind of crappy though. I'm lucky if I can sleep past 7 on the weekend even if I went to bed at 2am.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I had the horrible vision of 9-to-5, 7 days a week, 50 weeks a year stretching for decades into the future a month or so after I started my job. It is vaguely nauseating.

And yeah, I've been waking up around 5 minutes before my alarm for a few months now, no matter when I went to bed.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Where does the expression 9-to-5 job come from? That's just 8 hours. There must be at least a lunch break of at least 30 minutes. So it should be 8:30-to-5 job or 9-to-5:30 job, shouldn't it?

Also 50 weeks OMG, Germany got 3 weeks vacation in 1963 and some time later (couldn't find the year) 4 weeks which still is the legal minimum (also in the EU). And most people (in Germany) have 6 weeks (average is 29 days if Wikipedia is to be trusted).
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

I'm going to guess it is because some higher level, professional office jobs used to have a paid lunch. So if you didn't work over, you were only at work for 8 hours a day. But it doesn't seem like 9 to 5 was ever really a thing in the US.

Two weeks vacation is pretty standard in the US for office jobs. Jobs like retail, food service and labor are often lucky to get two, if any. I get four weeks, plus nine holidays. I never manage to come close to using it all though. I currently have over four weeks saved up. The company that just bought allows for 5 weeks, but that includes holidays. We will be able to carry up to two weeks from the previous year though.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I'm also classed as temporary (it takes a while to get the university to add a permanent position) for the time being, so I don't accumulate vacation time. More practically, I'm in charge of performing the experimental exposures with the mice and we always have at least 100 chronic (6th months of exposure) mice that can't go longer than 3 days without. I get 12 holiday days, but I have to come in on a few of those.

I won't be working in this lab forever, but currently not being able to take a longish vacation is really depressing.