Tropic Thunder

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Tropic Thunder

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Just saw a trailer for Tropic Thunder. Thought today's comic might've had something to do with it. Perhaps not, though.

Anyways, it looks like it could be fairly entertaining. I mean, I love Robert Downey Jr. right now. His post-drugs performances have been absolutely stellar (see Zodiac, Scanner Darkly, and especially Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and others). I've heard that people have gotten upset about his character (reverse White Chicks anyone?), but I definitely need to see it.

Maelstrom75

Re: Tropic Thunder

Post by Maelstrom75 »

Hate to bump such an old topic, but I saw it the other day, and it was freaking hilarious. Every actor did their part with humor and grace, but Downey Jr.'s performance was gut busting. Extremely funny movie, highly reccomended.
The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

None of it was funny, except every part involving Downey Jr. He was spot on all the way through the film, from his 'retard' speech to his transformation back to Lazarus (complete with Australian accent). He made the film worth watching.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

I actually really enjoyed the whole movie. It was pretty hilarious.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I'm the dude playin the dude, disguised as another dude.

I guess these days they can't make hilarious movies with just one star.

Then again, rat race had like 12 main characters and was one of the most entertaining movies of my life. Comedywise.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

AHMETxRock wrote:I'm the dude playin the dude, disguised as another dude.

I guess these days they can't make hilarious movies with just one star.

Then again, rat race had like 12 main characters and was one of the most entertaining movies of my life. Comedywise.
Yes, but everyone in it was a B actor at best. (Not necessarily quality-wise, as Atkinson and Cleese, at least, are brilliant). I would argue that there wasn't one "star" in Rat Race. Not that I didn't like the movie (I actually own it, though I've never watched it since I won it at a tournament), just that it is an ensemble cast with a bunch of people you know, but don't go see movies for their sake (such as you might for Tropic Thunder).
Generally, though, I love B-list ensemble casts. Southland Tales was a bit weird, but I really enjoyed it. Big Trouble was great. And those are just a few.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Yes, but everyone in it was a B actor at best. (Not necessarily quality-wise, as Atkinson and Cleese, at least, are brilliant). I would argue that there wasn't one "star" in Rat Race. Not that I didn't like the movie (I actually own it, though I've never watched it since I won it at a tournament), just that it is an ensemble cast with a bunch of people you know, but don't go see movies for their sake (such as you might for Tropic Thunder).
Generally, though, I love B-list ensemble casts. Southland Tales was a bit weird, but I really enjoyed it. Big Trouble was great. And those are just a few.
I know it had some A-listers in it, but Mars Attacks! is easily the best ensemble cast comedy ever made.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I loved the movie when I saw it, thought it was top notch. Robert Downy, Jr. can apparently do no wrong right now, I've loved everything the last few years that I've seen him in, truely an amazing performance. I enjoyed jack black for once, normally I find him just kinda.. droll, oh a penis joke, dandy? Ben Stiller did a better performance then I normally expect of him, which is a decent amount but not to much.

I loved the intros the best, at least partially cause I was watching in a theater and didn't Quite pick up when they started vs. the normal commercials, so the 'drink' commercial was just.. disturbing and neato. I loved the explosives guy a lot too. Plus the directors monologue felt like a great lead up to Hamlet 2 that came out at just about the same time(before or after I forget.)

Big trouble(I assume in little china) had a-list people! It was also one of the best cheese movies ever done, though I'm allll about the B-films. Especially anything with Bruce Campbell. I own the majestic purely for his 2 minutes of screen time, which the dvd is even nice enough to seperate out into its own mini movie on the disc :D
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

This was a good movie. I would have watched the fatties if it was a real one.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Asherian wrote:Big trouble(I assume in little china) had a-list people!
I'm guessing he meant the movie Big Trouble, but Big Trouble in Little China was way better and did have an A-list actor at least.
Last edited by ruotwocone on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

That is indeed the Big Trouble I meant. Based off of a Dave Barry novel (I thought it was a short story? IMDb says novel, though).
The closest thing to A-list in that cast would be Rene Russo. There might be a few people in there that might qualify for near A status, but they certainly weren't back then.
But it has a great cast, and despite being rather awkward, I found it quite endearing.
I actually rather liked The Majestic. I went in not expecting much, and found it to be an interesting, feel good movie. I thought it was one of Jim Carrey's better movies.
And I definitely smile whenever Bruce Campbell shows up. The Majestic did this and his cameos in the Spiderman trilogy pretty much made the movies for me. I'm so glad Raimi continues to invite him out. I was really disappointed that his scene was cut from The Quick and The Dead, though. I don't know if it is on the DVD (I don't own it) but I'd love to see the scene, as he'd fit real well into a western.