[2018-08-06] Laws and Sausages

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

The Cat and Ape

[2018-08-06] Laws and Sausages

Post by The Cat and Ape »

Not getting a link to the new comic from the SMBC page. Just me, or "technical difficulties"..?

The Cat and Ape

Re: [2018-08-06] Laws and Sausages

Post by The Cat and Ape »

As this discrepancy now appears to be corrected, I hereby rescind my earlier expression of consternation.

Awesome new comic, dudes. One thought: a linked index to the first page of each "lesson".

Thank you for this!

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

It seems a bit lowlevel. Come on, *everybody* knows about the separation of powers, don’t they? But in principle a good idea.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

ronzie9

Post by ronzie9 »

Pagination in the form of "Page x of y" would be nice. Makes it easier to slog through if you can see you're near the end.

Do I need a username?

Post by Do I need a username? »

I almost gave up on the comic early on, and I'm glad I didn't, it gets significantly better early on. There's one big flaw in the comic, and unfortunately, that is the character "Zach". As a regular reader (and huge fan) of SMBC I know that you have substantially better knowledge of the law and government than the average layperson (if not the knowledge of your brother who has a PhD in the field). Having the Zach character pop in with his supposed complete lack of knowledge seems disingenuous, worse, it insults the intellect of the reader because Zach is the character that is most supposed to represent the reader. For example, when Zach says he thought impeachment is a kind of fruit I feel insulted either because A. I'm knowledgeable enough to know about impeachment, and I find the insinuation that I don't to be insulting or B. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know about impeachment, but I find the idea I thought it was a fruit insulting. Basically the Zach character comes off like poochie the dog.

I think the Zach character would be better used to ask why things aren't a different way. Things that could work in theory, but ignore how our political systems historically developed. Or, fixes that sound good at first but could lead to unintended consequences. For the current Zach role, use students! Create a few regular students, and have them ask genuine questions that don't accidently belittle the reader. If desired, there can even be different personalities (a know it all, someone not typically interested, liberal, conservative etc.)