[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
SMBC Comics Forum • View topic - [2018-11-07] Literary Turing

[2018-11-07] Literary Turing

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

[2018-11-07] Literary Turing

Postby Klaus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm

http://smbc-comics.com/comic/literary-turing

This is pretty much what happened to be in German class once in high school.

I had to prepare a presentation about two short books; One I was allowed to discuss based on a summary, one I should read myself. Ever the motivated pupil that I was, of course I did read it, and prepared the other from an interpretation found on the internet. The teacher thought I had read the other one :(

Klaus

Re: [2018-11-07] Literary Turing

Postby Thoringaard » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm

He lost me when he channeled Yogi Berra in the second frame, essentially telling us to pair people up in threes.
Thoringaard

Postby Protagoras » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:55 am

Though he rejected the label postmodernist (because philosophers hate to be labeled, even if it's accurate), Foucault was definitely no modernist.
Protagoras

Postby rpresser » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm

rpresser

Postby Azazeltje » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:50 pm

I am so lost on the math here - is he saying that random chance would lead to correct guesses from Group A two-thirds of the time? Why is that not 50/50?
Azazeltje

Postby NeatNit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 pm

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Postby Azazeltje » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Azazeltje

Postby Azazeltje » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Azazeltje

Postby NeatNit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm

As per the comic:
67%-100%: book passes the test
34%-66%: book fails the test
0%-33%: book is assigned for a class on philosophical modernism

(it broke my heart sightly to use 33/34/66/67, but I didn't want to make this more confusing than it needs to be)

Edit: and as I said, the actual figure of 1/3 to 2/3 is completely made up. Real experiments usually use much tighter error margins, which they calculate using statistics and math based on the number of measurements and other factors. So by using such a huge margin Zach is actually giving the book a really big chance to fail the test - or rather, it requires that the test would give such a clear answer that there's absolutely no doubt.
NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2