[2019-04-21] Hobby

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

ckridge

[2019-04-21] Hobby

Post by ckridge »

I think about this one a lot. It has a developed form that I call the Inquisitor's Fallacy, that goes like this.

1. You believe A, which is false, but of no great consequence.
2. In order to support A adequately, or even to have A be meaningful, you must also believe B, C, and D.
3. B. C, and D have abominable consequences.
4. If you believe B, C, and D, you must be silenced, suppressed, and anathema, to save others from your abominable beliefs.
5. If you don't believe B, C, and D, we are going to silence, suppress, and make you anathema anyway, for doing your logic wrong, you dumb son of a bitch.

This way of thinking is so very attractive that I first diagnosed it in myself. It is an extension of effective argumentative technique, in that it looks for impossible, untrue, or unwholesome consequences of an opponent's beliefs and exposes them. Where it goes wrong is in its contempt for people who don't believe logically necessary consequences of things they do believe in. It is a feature, not a bug, that many fundamentalist Christians would intervene at danger to their own lives if they saw a crowd stoning a gay person to death. There are all kinds of things wrong with such fundamentalists, but failing to follow their beliefs out to their final consequences and then act on them no matter what is not one of them.

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Re: [2019-04-21] Hobby

Post by NeatNit »

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/hobby

Title text: Eventually, SMBC will be nothing but irritating redheads faithfully describing their own flawed reasoning.

Here's an older comic this is probably referring to: http://smbc-comics.com/comic/perspective

There are probably loads more, I just happened to run into this one today.

AlixeTiir

Post by AlixeTiir »

ckridge wrote:It is a feature, not a bug, that many fundamentalist Christians would intervene at danger to their own lives if they saw a crowd stoning a gay person to death. There are all kinds of things wrong with such fundamentalists, but failing to follow their beliefs out to their final consequences and then act on them no matter what is not one of them.
1. how dare you call the Christians bugs you bug-hater

2. I think they're not so much failing to follow their beliefs to their final consequences, but rather choosing which part of their belief system they're going to choose to follow to their natural consequences, considering that they adhere to a set of beliefs which is confusing and self-contradictory. The bible says gay people should be stoned or whatever, but it also says something about not throwing rocks at people unless you're Jesus. Which one you choose to follow to its logical conclusion is up to you, but they aren't consistent with one another. That being said, we can resolve the contradiction by saying that stoning someone means giving them a lot of weed, and casting stones means throwing rocks.

of course, stoning someone to death would still be a big deal but a lot harder to do.

Angel Angle

Post by Angel Angle »

Fantastic blog. Your articles were interesting to read. This is an excellent read for me. I've bookmarked it and look forward to reading more articles. Continue your excellent work! Game slope unblocked is a fantastic game that you can play whenever you want without any difficulty.

nickofernandes

Post by nickofernandes »

My hobby is traveling to other countries and expanding my horizons. I have visited many countries and found many ways to save money on flights. One of them is a resource where you can find london business class flights you can buy a ticket at a good price and fly in business class

game

Post by game »

Your article's content seems to pique the interest of quite a few readers, and I must say that I am quite impressed with your post. I am looking forward to reading more of your excellent articles. nytimes crossword

Alina12

Post by Alina12 »

1v1.lol unblocked The primary objective of Unblocked is to employ weaponry to strike enemies in a more efficient manner, making it a shooting game designed to improve defensive capabilities.

Marko

Post by Marko »

Anyone here into camping/hiking? Recently picked up a full gear set from a few sporting goods stores like https://gritroutdoors.com/ and looking to give it a proper test :D So if anyone here knows a good beginner solo trail that'd be great!