[2019-11-25] Flash

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

HikaruYami

[2019-11-25] Flash

Post by HikaruYami »

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/flash

Okay but just in case anyone was unaware, the Flash can think super-fast. The speed force accelerates every part of their biology that they will for it to accelerate, including neural processing (they could hyper-age if they wanted to. But, uh, generally they don't want to, so they leave cellular reproduction at the normal rate unless they need to quickly regenerate damage they've taken).

Yes, it's super bullshit, but hey, you're reading a superhero comic. It strives to actually make internal sense.

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Re: [2019-11-25] Flash

Post by NeatNit »

Since when is Flash a 'they'?

Klaus

Post by Klaus »

My main thought was: Either the author doesn't know how reflexes work, or he's trolling us ;)

Hilton head

Post by Hilton head »

There are multiple speedsters who have taken the name "The Flash", and there are often multiples active Flashes at the same time. The they is plural, and correct, since they all use the speed force in the way described.

HikaruYami

Post by HikaruYami »

NeatNit wrote:Since when is Flash a 'they'?
When there are several of them. I wasn't trying to PC gender-neutral it, I was literally acknowledging that multiple people have gone by the name The Flash, and all of them share the core of their powers (literally all speedsters in the DC universe have variable amounts of access to the speed force). Read more comics.
Klaus wrote:My main thought was: Either the author doesn't know how reflexes work, or he's trolling us ;)
Zach simultaneously doesn't know a lot and also loves to troll nerds. That's why my PSA was directed to the audience, not Zach.

EngineerNotADoctor

Post by EngineerNotADoctor »

More interesting than the similarity of function to reflexes (which are too simple for this imho) is the similarity of function to CPGs, which even more-so act as little localized brains for repetitive activity. Locomotion in particular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_pattern_generator

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Post by NeatNit »

HikaruYami wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Since when is Flash a 'they'?
When there are several of them. I wasn't trying to PC gender-neutral it, I was literally acknowledging that multiple people have gone by the name The Flash, and all of them share the core of their powers (literally all speedsters in the DC universe have variable amounts of access to the speed force).
I had no idea there was more than one. I did interpret the word "they" correctly (I did not think it was some PC nonsense), I just assumed that The Flash was a simple "he" so it was odd.
HikaruYami wrote:Read more comics.
You know, maybe I should.

But if there's many of them, what makes The Flash 'The Flash'? What differentiates him from the others? And what's the point?

HikaruYami

Post by HikaruYami »

NeatNit wrote:You know, maybe I should.

But if there's many of them, what makes The Flash 'The Flash'? What differentiates him from the others? And what's the point?
There's a chronological ordering to The Flash. You can start with the first one (Jay Garrick) or the second and most well-known/popular one (Barry Allen) or that one's nephew who eventually became the fastest entity in the multiverse (Wally West, who at one point literally absorbed the entire concept of the speed force).

Of course, it's also easier for the Flash to time travel than any other DC hero (some incarnations of superman can do it with similar ease, but not all), so chronological ordering maybe doesn't matter all that much.

AlixeTiir

Post by AlixeTiir »

HikaruYami wrote:Okay but just in case anyone was unaware, the Flash can think super-fast. The speed force accelerates every part of their biology that they will for it to accelerate, including neural processing (they could hyper-age if they wanted to. But, uh, generally they don't want to, so they leave cellular reproduction at the normal rate unless they need to quickly regenerate damage they've taken).

Yes, it's super bullshit, but hey, you're reading a superhero comic. It strives to actually make internal sense.
this is exactly what I was thinking when I read it but unlike you I'm not goddamned nerd who actually, like, speaks

i'm a goddamned silent nerd

EDIT: *cough*ALSO FUN FACT JAY GARRICK IS A METAHUMAN AND NOT JUST A SPEED FORCE CONDUIT SO WHEN HE LOSES THE SPEED FORCE HE CAN STILL GO LIKE 60MPH*cough*

hmijail

Post by hmijail »

HikaruYami wrote:https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/flash

It strives to actually make internal sense.
My eyes rolled so hard I had to pop them out with my tongue.

HikaruYami

Post by HikaruYami »

hmijail wrote:
HikaruYami wrote:https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/flash

It strives to actually make internal sense.
My eyes rolled so hard I had to pop them out with my tongue.
So I take it you conveniently forgot about "Yes, it's super bullshit" literally one sentence earlier just so your edgy "point" would seem more valid? Yes, very mature, I can tell you'd be a great person to converse with.

hmijail

Post by hmijail »

HikaruYami wrote:
hmijail wrote:
HikaruYami wrote:[
So I take it you conveniently forgot about "Yes, it's super bullshit" literally one sentence earlier just so your edgy "point" would seem more valid? Yes, very mature, I can tell you'd be a great person to converse with.
"It's super bullshit, but" is up there with "I'm not racist but".

That you find the point "edgy" is amazing, too.

That you wouldn't find me a great person to converse with makes me think I'm doing something right.

Aaand just to make sure that I'm/we're not missing anything, we're discussing the kind of medium in which retconning is kinda the thing to do every couple of years, just so the latest mutant affected by the latest cosmic force in the latest parallel universe in the latest time loop can be kinda justified to be slightly stronger than the next iteration of the new/resurrected/unleashed/darkforced/possessed Big Boss, so they can once again fist-fight while smirking, right?

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Post by NeatNit »

I don't think this "conversation" is going anywhere, you two. Just don't reply. Unless you enjoy having a nice little flame war that makes the both of you look bad, in which case go right ahead!

AlixeTiir

Post by AlixeTiir »

hmijail wrote:Aaand just to make sure that I'm/we're not missing anything, we're discussing the kind of medium in which retconning is kinda the thing to do every couple of years, just so the latest mutant affected by the latest cosmic force in the latest parallel universe in the latest time loop can be kinda justified to be slightly stronger than the next iteration of the new/resurrected/unleashed/darkforced/possessed Big Boss, so they can once again fist-fight while smirking, right?
ok now kiss

NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Post by NeatNit »

AlixeTiir wrote:ok now kiss
Not helping.