Obesity contributes to global warming

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Obesity contributes to global warming

Post by Sahan »

Linky

That's right. Obesity people are no longer just endangering their health, they're now getting the blame for damaging the planet's health. Al Gore must be fuming.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Husper

Post by Husper »

:lol: Got to love crazy journalists and scientists, they will say anything to get a story/money

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I love it. They push to a source, but it just feels like they are blaming fat people for a much more deeply rooted problem. Western consumerism/modernism, that is.

Sahan

Post by Sahan »

I think the article has some valid points, healthier lifestyles by all will reduce our demand on fossil fuels to some extent, but perhaps a little exaggerated.

Don't forget this is from a news site trying to jazz up some science.
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Sure. I mean, the thing is that probably 95% or more of obesity could be linked to western consumerism and greed. It is just interesting that they make the leap from global warming to fat people, but not to the deeper root.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

ABC: A trusted news source!
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Sahan

Post by Sahan »

I'm not sure how your your American ABC channel is, but the quality of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation news is generally a cut above the commercial news stations.

This is primarily because it is entirely government-funded and follows a strict code to provide balanced journalism. As a result, no-one ever watches ABC news.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Most of our media has a slant (I mean, all news does). Only one news corporation in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area, or as some of us call it, Southern Ontario...) is really noticably so, though. And I hate them. They are just ridiculous. They are ridiculous participants in the fear-mongering Michael Moore talked about in Bowling For Columbine (speaking of people I hate...). The front cover of the Toronto Sun, preys on hockey lovers, pop-culture lovers, and generally reactionary pictures. For example, on September 12, 2001, their front page headline was the expected picture of the WTC, with the title "THOSE BASTARDS!" Yeah, that's journalism.
Mostly I hate them because my best friend's mom died in a car crash (in which he was seriously injured, though recovered) and at the site of the crash, approached his dad, and started asking him really intrusive questions right after filming the paramedics or police telling him his wife had died. I don't know if they aired it, but nonetheless, that is just awful. This is on top of all of the gruesome (not bloody, but awful) pictures that they show/include of car wrecks and the like (other papers do it, but not as frequently at all).
When I say they, it is a media corporation that has both a few television stations (one public access, the rest cable and the like) and a newspaper, and several radio stations. They would probably most likely be likened to FOX. And I hate them, despite the fact that I have conservative political leanings, and their bias is that way as well.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Abc is ok on the t.v., but if that's what they've resorted to online, they might as well be FOX news. I like CNN best, to be honest.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away