Twilight

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Re: Twilight

Post by AHMETxRock »

Six hours is impressive. Are you a quick reader, or do you skim? I can speed read, but my eyesight is bad so it hurts and I have to stop. I end up being average.
Are you choosing to read the entire series, or is it still your significant other asking of you?

There's a fifth book coming out, written from Ed's point of view. If you loved bella talking about how bland she is, then imagine how much you'll love ed saying, oh she's so clumsy, she's be awesome prey.

And dear god, hide the sharp objects once you reach book 3. That's all I can tell you.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

I'm a quick reader. I hate skimmers. Skimmers claim to have read a ton, and then you question them, and they don't know have the information.

And I started for the significant other (who has subsequently left me for a girl, but I'm sure she'll come back), but I'm now reading to finish the series. It isn't that bad. I've realized the problem though. Stephenie Meyers rushed the series. Money talks, I guess.
I Believe In Harvey Dent.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I can skim with a high retention rate, but it kills the story for me. I often reread a page or two, just so that I don't have to ever wonder if I missed something. Most people tend to read it once over, then again. I reread it before I even finish.

Aside from the fact that twilight has a low reading level, I can't criticize it all that much without going into typical masculinity issues. All the love interests are pretty little dolls for the girl to play with. Playable puppy and glittering charmer, but they want to kill. They'd be perfect in every way, except they endanger her life. NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'll speed read a book that I've read before, but if it is something new, where I want to appreciate the style and such, then I tend to take my time. Especially if it has a lot of symbolism and imagery.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

I can speed read with some retention (although not as good as many), but if it is a book i am reading for pleasure my pace is typically around 40 pages an hour - which is slowish i realize, but it's the rate that maximizes my getting lost in a story. Any faster and i realize that i'm just reading a book instead of actually becoming immersed in it.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'm a fast reader, probably on par with kidd, but I have this problem where I will start thinking about something that has nothing to do with that I'm reading, and then I'll wind up reading the same lines over again. But I did manage to read book 7 of Harry Potter in less than nine hours (Bought it at the midnight release and finished at 9:00 a.m.) so I still manage pretty good speeds. But I've always been good at reading; during first grade I read around thirty-two of these books and they were around 200-300 pages long (mind you the font wasn't tiny, but it was still around size 14, I believe).
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

So, uh, Wal-Mart is out of the fourth book, and since I looked for it and couldn't find it when I got the third one, I decided to take it slow (Saturday night-Sunday morning) and my thoughts on the book are this;

Fucking awesome, actually. I enjoyed most of the third book, only because it built up for this awesome battle. Of course, the battle was over in like two pages (with no description of said battle) but still. If the series hadn't have been rushed, I think Twilight could have easily been a great series. Unfortunately, it was and the books all leave a lot lacking. Not to mention, the antagonist in book two was completely forgotten about until a quarter way through book three. Weird, it'd be like Voldemort not being mentioned for an entire book. Either way, I'll get the fourth book soon and finish it.

I have a knack with writing stories, and I'm trying to come up with an idea of something to write about. I've gotten four ideas, but the one that I keep returning to is this;

It's like Twilight, in exact opposite. Instead of being about a girl who falls in love with a vampire, it will be about a guy who is turned into a vampire. He'll be 17 (18 at the oldest) and it'll chronicle his attempt at normalcy and it is going to show his struggle against what he has become. Sound...interesting? Or stupid? Because I'm thinking about going back into writing.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

you guys and your crazy Wal-Mart thing. It's mostly imaginary to us here since there is only one in my county and it's a solid hour+ drive from my house. We're forced to shop at smaller, local stores.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Target has nicer things, but Wal-mart is generally cheaper.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

That's your in a nutshell concept, Kidd, and I'm aware you're not selling us the script yet. If you'd like feedback, I'll give it to you.

How you are approaching the story can be important. Is it a one shot deal, or do you plan to let it run its course?
What are his attempts at being normal? You might remember that old movie about that teenager that was in high school and would turn into a werewolf? And it would happen spontaneously and he'd act all animalish, which helped him in basketball games at times but at others caused him to chase cats instead of admiring the girl he likes? Is it, to a degree, a similar story of a single boy/guy/man who's different just like everyone else, except in this case he's a vampire?

I'd judge a story by the story itself mostly. If you can eloquently write a story that basically says "tacos are great, eat more tacos," I'll commend your ability to write the story but criticize your attempts to be popular on the behalf of tacos. Similar to my criticism of those comics that just draw characters engaging in sexual sitations without any driving force besides sexuality and the creator's lack of self respect. I'm looking at your Exiern and Flipside. Twokind actually is a really good story, even though it is basically bestiality. Wierd.

I digress. Knowing so little about your story makes it difficult to tell you whether it is good or not, but in reality in depends both on your ability as a writer and your ability as a storyteller. No matter what angle you take on this, the story needs to be interesting, first and foremost.

I recommend trying out short story writing. Brainstorm a topic that begins generic. Then, find a way to deviate from the typical angle. IF you rpractice by starting with something typical, then those that read over it will judge it by what is different. After you get a feel for your writing style and carve out the storyline more in your mind, then feel free to start.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I'll give you the best advice I've ever gotten about writing Kidd, Never tell your story to anyone. Not cause "oh nos they stole it!", but it'll hurt your motivation. Once you tell it to someone else your urge to write it down, to tell it in that format lessens. That being said its not a bad idea to discuss and brainstorm concepts, just keep the actual plot/core of the story to yourself. Don't let it feel like you've told it yet, it'll help keep your energy up about the project.

Also as far as it comes to vampires.. two things to make sure of before you start. What is special about yours? Why should we give a rats ass about a teen turned vamp, what about his particular story is compelling? Something has to be if its not to get lost in the crowd. Two, what the hell is up with your vamps? Determining the mythos/rules they work under before you even get started. No, not all vampires are created equal, from things like in twilight where 'they avoid sunlight cause they *sparkle*, to being allergic to wood (Mercedes lackey has some examples like that.). Having at least a limits/power list can give you a good starting point to spring off of, and unless your planning to go serial a lot of things like over-arching vampire society ectra doesn't have to be bothered with except lightly.

As far as starting in short story goes.. a lot of people find it easier, but it might not be enough. Doing rough outlines then working chapter by chapter works for a lot of novel authors. Or you can do it fight club style(not recommended unless your chuck palahinuk in disguise) and just string short stories into a cohesive novel.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

Yeah, the reason I haven't started yet is because I'm making sure the idea and concept would be uniquely different. As of now, it's on the 'to do' list. Along with my remake of Eragon in which the book doesn't fucking suck.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Kidd wrote:Yeah, the reason I haven't started yet is because I'm making sure the idea and concept would be uniquely different. As of now, it's on the 'to do' list. Along with my remake of Eragon in which the book doesn't fucking suck.
Some things just weren't meant to be.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Kidd wrote:Along with my remake of Eragon in which the book doesn't fucking suck.
Last I checked that was called "Pern". Or at least thats what the series made me think it was a bad rip off of.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

tucker
Master of the single Entendre

Post by tucker »

mountainmage wrote:Target has nicer things, but Wal-mart is generally cheaper.
in that case i think its safe to say that my mom came from wal mart...

on a seperate note im pretty much the only guy i know who has read the entire series...and i thought it was awesome...im not one of those "lit junkies" either that only reads so they can appreciate the "art" of writing...i just love good stories...and twilight is a very good story
huh?