The farside

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.
we_are_138

The farside

Post by we_are_138 »

Is it just me or does this comic remind you of "The farside"?
was it possibly an inspiration?

Sheriff Dani
Site Admin, Moderator

Post by Sheriff Dani »

Let me put this to fucking rest right the fuck now. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I'd like to address this issue for absolutely everyone, because I've heard this more than once.

Zach's comic is not The Far Side, nor has he ever attempted to emulate The Far Side. I think you're having trouble distinguishing SMBC from The Far Side because they are both single panel comics, and they are both funny. There aren't that many single panel comics, and of those that exist, maybe three of them are funny. Just because Zach is successful should not give you the right to put him in your underdeveloped analytical crosshairs. It's not his fault Gary Larson came first, and it's not his fault that Gary Larson retired.

Why don't you try being funny? Try it. Let's see how far you get. Are you funny? Can you update consistently, every day of the week? Try it, I dare you. Not only that, but try drawing guest comics and ads for other sites in your 'spare time' after working a full time job at an agency like he does.

SMBC is original, creative, and really fucking funny. I don't see any similarities between its content and The Far Side's content at all. I think you're just confusing two hilarious one panel comics because that's the only other great one panel example that jumps to mind.

If you enjoy SMBC, it's not because its creator emulates someone. It's because you enjoy quality work and don't settle for puns and political snooze fests. And if you're too simple to distinguish good stuff from other good stuff, then I feel sorry for you.

In a way, it can be considered a compliment to be compared to someone so loved and talented. But at the same time, you should recognize the fact that Zach puts time and effort into his original jokes and art, and really stresses over its creations. You should recognize the fact that even though Gary Larson was talented and it's nice to be compared to someone like that, it can also be considered very rude.

You're not giving Zach the respect he deserves for being original; you're just being lazy and lumping him together with someone else with no real grounds for doing so.

we_are_138

Post by we_are_138 »

lol okay..... :P

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Woah... All very nice points, and you certainly know your shit, but I don't think it was an accusation of any sorts... Ya might've overreacted just a tad.

PsychicBacon

Post by PsychicBacon »

To me the style of joke telling between the two comics is way different. SMBC seems to add on an extra joke in the caption, while Far Side's caption just have dialogue or the joke itself.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, what bacon said. SMBC is funny because of the twists in the captions. In that sense I think it is one of the more original styles around that I've seen. Plus he can do that crazy type of humour which not many people can pull off.For example.
"What was less funny was the fact that Cynthia died alone at age 35 from a congenital heart defect"
(God I love that cartoon)

Snakesonaplane

Post by Snakesonaplane »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, what bacon said. SMBC is funny because of the twists in the captions. In that sense I think it is one of the more original styles around that I've seen. Plus he can do that crazy type of humour which not many people can pull off.For example.
"What was less funny was the fact that Cynthia died alone at age 35 from a congenital heart defect"
(God I love that cartoon)
Goddamnit. This is me. I am having some real trouble with this board logging me out everytime I try and post
And if this post comes up as guest as well I'll....probably go cry in my room

we_are_138

Post by we_are_138 »

Lol I was not saying that zach was copying Gary in any way I was just saying that in the picture it could go one way and in the caption it takes you a whole diferent direction, I like it.

SMBC is more edgy and I like it.
:P

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Sheriff Dani wrote:Are you funny? Can you update consistently, every day of the week? Try it, I dare you.
Y'know, I've often wondered how Zach does it. Each and every day, there's something remarkably amusing at the very least, and jaw-droppingly hilarious at best. I swear, one day my spleen will eject from its comfy home in my abdomen, all from laughter induced by SMBC.

When friends see my desktop wallpaper -- commonly an SMBC strip -- they'll show their delight and amusement, and for that instant I can bask in the reflected glory of Zach, and then I die a little inside knowing I can never be that funny. :cry:
Pirate.

theflyingorc

Well...

Post by theflyingorc »

It seems to me that since he put on BuzzComix at one point - "It's like The Far Side with more dead toddlers.", that he himself considered it a decent enough comparison.

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

My attitude is basically that, while I enjoy the Far Side immensely, I rip off other artists FAR more directly. Go read: Parking Lot Is Full, and Glen Baxter.

Sheriff Dani
Site Admin, Moderator

Post by Sheriff Dani »

wiztoast wrote:My attitude is basically that, while I enjoy the Far Side immensely, I rip off other artists FAR more directly. Go read: Parking Lot Is Full, and Glen Baxter.
HAHAHAHA yes.

Snakesonaplane

Post by Snakesonaplane »

so I checked out parking lot is full. Theres some funny stuff over there. I'm glad you chose to rip them off rather than something less funny....
...like cancer

Macabe

Post by Macabe »

Sheriff Dani wrote:Let me put this to fucking rest right the fuck now. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I?d like to address this issue for absolutely everyone, because I?ve heard this more than once.

Zach?s comic is not The Far Side, nor has he ever attempted to emulate The Far Side. I think you?re having trouble distinguishing SMBC from The Far Side because they are both single panel comics, and they are both funny. There aren?t that many single panel comics, and of those that exist, maybe three of them are funny. Just because Zach is successful should not give you the right to put him in your underdeveloped analytical crosshairs. It?s not his fault Gary Larson came first, and it?s not his fault that Gary Larson retired.

Why don?t you try being funny? Try it. Let?s see how far you get. Are you funny? Can you update consistently, every day of the week? Try it, I dare you. Not only that, but try drawing guest comics and ads for other sites in your ?spare time? after working a full time job at an agency like he does.

SMBC is original, creative, and really fucking funny. I don?t see any similarities between its content and The Far Side?s content at all. I think you?re just confusing two hilarious one panel comics because that?s the only other great one panel example that jumps to mind.

If you enjoy SMBC, it?s not because its creator emulates someone. It?s because you enjoy quality work and don?t settle for puns and political snooze fests. And if you?re too simple to distinguish good stuff from other good stuff, then I feel sorry for you.

In a way, it can be considered a compliment to be compared to someone so loved and talented. But at the same time, you should recognize the fact that Zach puts time and effort into his original jokes and art, and really stresses over its creations. You should recognize the fact that even though Gary Larson was talented and it?s nice to be compared to someone like that, it can also be considered very rude.

You?re not giving Zach the respect he deserves for being original; you?re just being lazy and lumping him together with someone else with no real grounds for doing so.
'

...were you a crazy dominatrix in another life?
-Joe

Sheriff Dani
Site Admin, Moderator

Post by Sheriff Dani »

What's this "another life" business?