I've been dabbling with GIMP...

For original creative work. For the love of Zach, read Rule 30.

Moderator: Kimra

CasualFriday

I've been dabbling with GIMP...

Post by CasualFriday »

And started making custom bumper stickers. I like using science as a central theme, so they're all tied to biology, physics, and chemistry.

^^This one isn't original, really. The original image was posted somewhere and I formatted it as a bumper sticker. It's currently on my truck.

^^This was the first one I did in GIMP. It's ATP, or Adenosine Triphosphate, which is used as fuel in most biological reactions.

^^That's Thomas Young, the guy who did the light-slit experiment. The results were one of the big steps in classifying particles as both waves and particles (dualities).

^^This is a play on string theory, which involves giant cosmic membranes, sometimes called "branes".
Isn't this where we came in?

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: I've been dabbling with GIMP...

Post by Edminster »

I think the ATP one would be better served by removing the Gas Pump, and placing the molecule in it's stead. I could be horribly wrong though, so don't blame me in the event that making the suggested change results in the death of your loved ones.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I might also suggest using Davisson and Germer, who did the original work with electron diffraction, instead of Young, who only worked with light.

(Whoa, Edminster. It's like you have an echo. A very pedantic echo.)
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

CasualFriday

Post by CasualFriday »

Edminster wrote:I think the ATP one would be better served by removing the Gas Pump, and placing the molecule in it's stead. I could be horribly wrong though, so don't blame me in the event that making the suggested change results in the death of your loved ones.

Changes made. Good suggestion, I like the simpler design. And none of my loved ones have passed yet!

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

That's some good stuff. You should sell that stuff to a funny shirt company or something, if that's possible, becuase I'd buy the duality or Schrodinger one amd wear it*. I really want to buy a funny shirt, not enough uni guys are making with the funny with their apparel. I think I only saw 3 funny shirts this week, I was expecting heaps more.
*If I had money, which I don't.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

CasualFriday

Post by CasualFriday »

Sahan wrote:That's some good stuff. You should sell that stuff to a funny shirt company or something, if that's possible, becuase I'd buy the duality or Schrodinger one amd wear it*. I really want to buy a funny shirt, not enough uni guys are making with the funny with their apparel. I think I only saw 3 funny shirts this week, I was expecting heaps more.
*If I had money, which I don't.

Unfortunately the Schrodinger design isn't my own work. I'm considering changing the duality design in accordance with the earlier suggestion.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

Oh

I thought you made this to talk about your new GIMP outfit.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Pulp fiction was a good movie.

"English, motha fucka! Do you speak it?!"

I feel like saying that to people sometimes.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Awesome bumper stickers, I'm horribly curious what your using to actually print them.. is it just a normal printer special paper or something more elaborate?

You know.. cause I've got this Toyota truck I'm legally obligated to cover in bumper stickers until it only reads "Yo".
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Asherian wrote:Awesome bumper stickers, I'm horribly curious what your using to actually print them.. is it just a normal printer special paper or something more elaborate?

You know.. cause I've got this Toyota truck I'm legally obligated to cover in bumper stickers until it only reads "Yo".
Hehehe. I wanna know what you're printing it on as well. Putting glue on your teeth and chewing the paper might be an effective method.
I use paint.net on most of my things. I'd like to be able to use photoshop though.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

CasualFriday

Post by CasualFriday »

Asherian wrote:Awesome bumper stickers, I'm horribly curious what your using to actually print them.. is it just a normal printer special paper or something more elaborate?

I'm actually just printing them out of a fairly low quality HP printer. I bought some label paper at Staples, and it's working out fine. I just need to put clear packaging tape over the stickers so they don't get all splotchy when it rains.

AmnioticDruid

Post by AmnioticDruid »

These are the types of bumpers stickers I actually wish I saw more often.
Funny/Intelligent FTW.
Crucify the Eggo, motherfuckers.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Closest thing to funny bumper sticker my car has is a 'This car has Trample' sticker. All the rest are various parking permits.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Edminster wrote:Closest thing to funny bumper sticker my car has is a 'This car has Trample' sticker. All the rest are various parking permits.
Neat I'll have to look into that friday, thanks. I used to make shirts the same way.

Ed.. that bumpsticker is pure class, very nice. I know my car has trample too.. took out a street sign and kept going just fine.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Edminster wrote:Closest thing to funny bumper sticker my car has is a 'This car has Trample' sticker. All the rest are various parking permits.
I am more entertained by this bumper sticker than I probably should be.

So, the consensus seems to be that people like amusing bumper stickers, but the don't want to put 'em on their cars. So, I propose we all get a bunch of bumper stickers, go into parking lots, and sticker other people's vehicles. It's not gonna do any kind of permanent damage, but they're still annoying enough to get off that at least some people probably won't make the effort.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.