Works of Astounding Science-Fiction

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Works of Astounding Science-Fiction

Post by Edminster »

Well, we have a thread dedicated to purely "fiction", and one dedicated to purely "fantasy", so I figured (being a fan) why not one for purely science-fiction? I'm including Speculative Fiction as well, because it is closely linked to Sci-Fi.

List favorite books and authors here! I'll start.

Anything by Robert Heinlein, with the exception of I Will Fear No Evil and much of Friday
Any book in the Foundation Trilogy (and basically anything else by Asimov, for that matter)
Oath of Fealty, by Niven and Pournelle
Anything by Bradbury
The Difference Engine, by Gibson and Sterling (My first introduction to Steampunk)
Pulling Through, by Dean Ing (if only for the how-to guides provided in the latter half)
A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Hopefully you guys can offer up good future reading for myself and the other members.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Works of Astounding Science-Fiction

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I guess some distopian is sci-fi. My two favourite distopian would probably be Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey (which also happens to be my favourite book) and 1984.

The only other real Sci-fi I've read in the last ten or so years is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Fantastic, that.

Neglected Shoe
Oceanolobiolographer? I hardly know her!

Post by Neglected Shoe »

I think the Ender's Game books (Orson Scott Card) fall into this category pretty well. I've read the first book, and I highly recommend it.

Also, I read the first book of Foundation by Asimov, but I hear the rest of the books aren't as good - can anyone comment on this?
"Someone didn't pay attention in religion class."

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I was trying to think if I'd ever read any sci-fi, thanks for reminding me about Hitchhiker's guide. That's a great book, right there, and the sequels are just as funny.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I'm hearing a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy love here, and rightly so in my opinion, so I have two questions. First, anyone else here ever heard the radio series? It predates the book, and is actually a little different since Douglas Adams didn't have access to his old scripts when he was writing the book. Or the mini series for that matter? I they think came after the books, and actually I barely remember it, I was so young when I watched it. If yes, any opinions?

Secondly, has anyone else here ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams? I think this is one of my all time favourite books, and I may even like it more than Hitchhiker's. It's where I first heard of Schroedinger's Cat (I was 15 when I read it) and it's just horribly entertaining. The cover of my copy describes itself as a "thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic", now how can you resist that?
Last edited by smiley_cow on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Neglected Shoe wrote:I think the Ender's Game books (Orson Scott Card) fall into this category pretty well. I've read the first book, and I highly recommend it.

Also, I read the first book of Foundation by Asimov, but I hear the rest of the books aren't as good - can anyone comment on this?
I've read and loved the Ender series. The books that follow Ender are easily science fiction. They deal with some classic science fiction issues like personhood of other sentient life. The books that follow Bean don't fit as neatly in the sci-fi category, but they are awesome.
I also read Maps in a Mirror, which is a collection of Card's short stories. There are some truly great science fiction short stories included. "Unaccompanied Sonata" was probably my favorite. "In the Doghouse" is great too.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

smiley_cow wrote:I'm hearing a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy love here, and rightly so in my opinion, so I have two questions. First, anyone else here ever heard the radio series? It predates the book, and is actually a little different since Douglas Adams didn't have access to his old scripts when he was writing the book. Or the mini series for that matter? I they think came after the books, and actually I barely remember it, I was so young when I watched it. If yes, any opinions?

Secondly, has anyone else here ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams? I think this is one of my all time favourite books, and I may even like it more than Hitchhikier's. It's where I first heard of Schroedinger's Cat (I was 15 when I read it) and it's just horribly entertaining. The cover of my copy describes itself as a "thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic", now how can you resist that?
I am quite familiar with HHGTG history, I just haven't heard/seen anything else other than the five "canon" books. Oh, and I saw the movie. Which was disappointing, but I need to go back and rewatch it, because it usually takes a second viewing for me to separate the book and movie into two entities and base them on their own merits.
Though your recommendation on his other book will definitely be taken into consideration. Sometime soon I will go back to the library (I've been hesitating because I think I owe them some money, which means I need to be armed with change) and I think this will be atop my list of to-read.

rustypup
Indignant Newshound

Post by rustypup »

Lethal Interjection wrote:has anyone else here ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams?
an excellent series.

Missing from the list would be Frank Herbert, (Dune)..

most recently, I would add the book Anathem, (Neal Stephenson), as a very worthwhile read.. (admittedly, I'm partial to his work, so take this with a pinch of Nackle).
Half dachsund, half sneaky neighbour's dog - all nose.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. That book was odd at times, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

rustypup wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:has anyone else here ever read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also by Douglas Adams?
an excellent series.

Missing from the list would be Frank Herbert, (Dune)..

most recently, I would add the book Anathem, (Neal Stephenson), as a very worthwhile read.. (admittedly, I'm partial to his work, so take this with a pinch of Nackle).
I can't believe I forgot about Dune! I love those books. I guess what I'm trying to say is seconded on that point.

Rustypup, Have you read the sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? I'm aware there is one but I've yet to find it. Is it as good as the first? If so, I may have to suck it up and order it off Amazon.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

rustypup
Indignant Newshound

Post by rustypup »

mountainmage wrote:I read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. That book was odd at times, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.
Stephenson is marked by his level of preparation and research...

Anathem was, quite frankly, astounding - covering modern philosphical discourse, physics and a variety of math problems which serve to add flesh to the story... and get the reader thinking...
smiley_cow wrote:Have you read the sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?
Teatime of the Soul - yes - angry gods, evil marketing, fridges and unholy covenants. Pretty much all the plot devices necessary for a good read.

Sadly, he was apparently busy with the 3rd installment when he passed on....
Half dachsund, half sneaky neighbour's dog - all nose.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I think it is funny that we now have a rustypup.
Mostly because there was a couple on one of the other boards I used to frequent (the VA webboard) named "nastypup" and "wolfie."
Funny only to me? Yes.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I don't recall seeing any mention of it, but has anyone read Babylon Babies? I just watched Babylon AD, and the story intrigued me. Actually, my major problem with the movie was that it was too rushed, and did a piss-poor job of character development. It had a great plot/idea but it seemed like they tried to cram too much into the movie, and it left me wanting more (in the movie itself, as well as any continuations, as the movie left on a bit of a cliffhanger).

Actually, on the same note, has anyone read the books Jumper is based on. I have a similar problem with that movie, in that I enjoyed the plot, but there was backstory, and had the same kind of cliffhanger ending, both of which left me wanting to read some novels based on the idea/universe.

Osiris

Post by Osiris »

Neglected Shoe wrote:....Also, I read the first book of Foundation by Asimov, but I hear the rest of the books aren't as good - can anyone comment on this?
The books of the original trilogy are very good - Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation. The later ones were mainly ghosted AFAIK, and aren't of the same quality.

I also like Neal Stephenson - big sprawling books, very well written. William Gibson writes excellent cyberpunk, and Connie Willis has produced many good reads, particularly Doomsday Book and Passage. 8)

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Right now I'm reading Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson, and I must say that it has a strikingly similar tone to Heinlein novels. I also crushed through Feed by M.T. Anderson in literally a couple of hours, so I would say it's pretty good. After I finish Freehold I'm reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for the umpteenth time, so I guess I'm kind of on a 'Liberty through Hardship' kick.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud