Banhammer Brigade

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Banhammer Brigade

Post by Edminster »

The Pinkoes are shunted into that category at the initial approval stage. At this point, I can tell at a glance whether the registrant's email address is Spam or Meat (Real Meat email addresses generally make sense, and are not things like 'nuxxx@nxt.ru'). I check the email and username against the Spam-Bot Registration Lists, and if they show up I delete them off the bat. Otherwise, I shunt them into the Spam-Bot group. Special preference is granted to Spam-Bots with interesting names, such as DrLinkmaul, SweebyZek, and L. Ron Hubbard.

So far, this process has been working amazingly well, with virtually no misfilings.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Edminster wrote:The Pinkoes are shunted into that category at the initial approval stage. At this point, I can tell at a glance whether the registrant's email address is Spam or Meat (Real Meat email addresses generally make sense, and are not things like 'nuxxx@nxt.ru'). I check the email and username against the Spam-Bot Registration Lists, and if they show up I delete them off the bat. Otherwise, I shunt them into the Spam-Bot group. Special preference is granted to Spam-Bots with interesting names, such as DrLinkmaul, SweebyZek, and L. Ron Hubbard.

So far, this process has been working amazingly well, with virtually no misfilings.
That does sound like a good process. I'm curious about something.

At the last forum i was active on, I never heard any mention of spam bots or saw any of their posts. Why is it a problem here but not there? That was two or three years ago, so maybe it wasn't so prevalent then. I guess It's also possible that the mods dealt with it and I just never heard them mention it.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

ChooChooTrain wrote:At the last forum i was active on, I never heard any mention of spam bots or saw any of their posts. Why is it a problem here but not there? That was two or three years ago, so maybe it wasn't so prevalent then. I guess It's also possible that the mods dealt with it and I just never heard them mention it.
It's entirely possible that the other forums are using various anti-spam modifications. Zach seems to prefer the Human Touch, however, so our current system stays in place.

As to why they are nigh-constantly referenced here, there's a simple explanation. As a result, any new Spam-Bot incursion is treated with extreme prejudice (which includes propaganda about our Glorious Victories).
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

What's the website you use again, Ed? I need to start using it.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Ack! I thought I had linked it to the words 'Spam-Bot Registration Lists' earlier. Apparently I forgot to do so.

I use Stop Forum Spam and Botscout, but I've found that if it's on one of them, it's on the other. The redundancy is handy for when one crashes, though.

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'm pretty sure you did, I was just being lazy. :P
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Signious

Post by Signious »

not sure where to put this but their is a user on tonight 'yahoo [BOT]'... figured I would toss that in here

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Signious wrote:not sure where to put this but their is a user on tonight 'yahoo [BOT]'... figured I would toss that in here
Naw, man, he's cool. He's with me.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

So, you hang with that bunch now? Vinnie won't like it the slightest, man.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Signious wrote:not sure where to put this but their is a user on tonight 'yahoo [BOT]'... figured I would toss that in here
Yeah, I find I'll sometimes look down to see who else is on and it's just me and the bots hanging out. I'm a P.G. Wodehouse fan and one day there was an AksJeeves bot and I got really excited, but I think that's more me being lame than anything else.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I did a double-take the first time I saw the Ask Jeeves bot.
I was all, "Wait, is it 1998 again, or what?"
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Edminster [Bot]

Post by Edminster [Bot] »

Yeah, the ones with '[Bot]' behind their names are the ones that have been tamed by the mighty Search Engines. I've been attempting to infiltrate their ranks in order to learn just how they managed to tame Spam-Bots, but I'm starting to think that these are a different breed of Construct altogether. Either that, or somebody has completely retrofitted the standard chassis design into something altogether more intriguing.

Also, Oldrac? Don't worry about what Vinnie thinks. If he's got a problem with you assisting me in this endeavour, tell him to come talk to me.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

So! As it turns out, going undercover as a 'Bot produced some unexpected results. Like, to the point where I may have discovered a Spam-Bot manufacturing facility. I'm debating on how to infiltrate that properly, as I'm certain that they scan for Organics to keep people like me out. Any suggestions about how I can get inside? Oldrac's already suggested an Ice Cream truck, but I don't think soulless automata would fall for it.

gödel stop spreading fud

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Troy only needed a horse.

Hide inside a giant phentermine pill.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Edminster wrote:So! As it turns out, going undercover as a 'Bot produced some unexpected results. Like, to the point where I may have discovered a Spam-Bot manufacturing facility. I'm debating on how to infiltrate that properly, as I'm certain that they scan for Organics to keep people like me out. Any suggestions about how I can get inside? Oldrac's already suggested an Ice Cream truck, but I don't think soulless automata would fall for it.
I don't know, program a bot that is loyal to you?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde