Gabriel García Márquez

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Gabriel García Márquez

Post by LordRetard »

I just finished reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, from Oprah's Book Club (it says so on the book jacket!). I like Marquez's flowing, rambling, irrelevant style where he basically just talks about whatever is on his mind. It gives me hope that one day I might be a famous writer for being able to ramble despite lack of talent. Anyone else a fan? His short stories are fantastic; "Eva Is Inside Her Cat" was exceedingly clever, whatever that means (nothing).

Has anyone read his works in Spanish? I plan to read "Memoria de mis putas tristes" even though I don't know any Spanish.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Gabriel García Márquez

Post by Edminster »

My Spanish is faltering at best, but is that last title 'Memories of my sad Whores'?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Yeah, published in English as "Memories of my Melancholy Whores". It sounds exciting.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Note to self: LordRetard is 'excited' by people paid to cry.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

You can't PAY someone to cry, it's just not the same if it's not real.

:wink:

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

The only thing I've read from Marquez is a short story called A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings.
A fantastic short story, and one of the best I've read.
Though I've known about him for over 15 years. Thanks to Moxy Fruvous' song, Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Do people still listen to the Bloodhound Gang? I'm so far behind the times, I guess.

Thanks for the link, Lethal, I read about that story and thought "that sounds fantastic", I'll have to read that. Very old men with wings are one of those things that gets me "excited", I guess.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

LordRetard wrote:Do people still listen to the Bloodhound Gang? I'm so far behind the times, I guess.

Thanks for the link, Lethal, I read about that story and thought "that sounds fantastic", I'll have to read that. Very old men with wings are one of those things that gets me "excited", I guess.
Yeah, its a great title. I read the story probably 5 years ago and loved it, and actually wrote a paper on it and another that was set in Latin America (and written by a Latin American author also, I believe). I actually couldn't remember the title and had to search for it, and the story came up in the first few links. So I figured some people might want to read it.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:The only thing I've read from Marquez is a short story called A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings.
A fantastic short story, and one of the best I've read.
Though I've known about him for over 15 years. Thanks to Moxy Fruvous' song, Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors.
I love that song, if only for the line "Who needs a shave? He's Robertson Davies." (I love Robertson Davies' beard)

Man I haven't listened to Moxy Fruvous for ages, though my brother was playing Big Fish the other day and I happened to be sitting near him, so maybe that counts.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I was flipping through my copy of Sudden Fiction International when I noticed that one of his stories was included. 'One of those days', a short short about an unlicensed dentist and the Mayor of the town. Not that great, in my opinion, but it could also have suffered because of translation.

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Edminster wrote:I was flipping through my copy of Sudden Fiction International when I noticed that one of his stories was included. 'One of those days', a short short about an unlicensed dentist and the Mayor of the town. Not that great, in my opinion, but it could also have suffered because of translation.
I'm not surprised, I could see how someone could easily not like Marquez. Like most of the authors I read I stumbled on it because I was reading about Kafka, but they're not very similar in style, either. I don't think Marquez is like a lot of modern English authors; they tend to be more character- and plot-driven, whereas with Marquez everything is mostly somewhere... I guess that doesn't mean anything, but that's the closest to what I was thinking and I can't phrase it. I guess Marquez is less structured than other authors. But a lot of people say, too, that his work varies a lot, depending on what he is trying to write.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

LordRetard wrote:
Edminster wrote:I was flipping through my copy of Sudden Fiction International when I noticed that one of his stories was included. 'One of those days', a short short about an unlicensed dentist and the Mayor of the town. Not that great, in my opinion, but it could also have suffered because of translation.
I'm not surprised, I could see how someone could easily not like Marquez. Like most of the authors I read I stumbled on it because I was reading about Kafka, but they're not very similar in style, either. I don't think Marquez is like a lot of modern English authors; they tend to be more character- and plot-driven, whereas with Marquez everything is mostly somewhere... I guess that doesn't mean anything, but that's the closest to what I was thinking and I can't phrase it. I guess Marquez is less structured than other authors. But a lot of people say, too, that his work varies a lot, depending on what he is trying to write.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he's a bad author, I'm just saying that 'One of those days' was not a story that I enjoyed. The one about the fallen angel was fantastic, which just makes me think that translation may have been the issue that I had with 'One...'.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

smiley_cow wrote:I love that song, if only for the line "Who needs a shave? He's Robertson Davies." (I love Robertson Davies' beard)

Man I haven't listened to Moxy Fruvous for ages, though my brother was playing Big Fish the other day and I happened to be sitting near him, so maybe that counts.
I don't know much of their stuff other than the Video Bargainville album, which I love. First tape I ever bought, and I still love it to this day (though I lost the tape at some point, and finally found a used copy of the CD for purchase last year).

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
I don't know much of their stuff other than the Video Bargainville album, which I love. First tape I ever bought, and I still love it to this day (though I lost the tape at some point, and finally found a used copy of the CD for purchase last year).
I have three of their albums, Bargainville is probably the best one though. Big Fish is a really good song, it's on the B album and it's about premiere Mike Harris. The other album I have is, I think, called "You will go to the moon" (I'm not home right now so I can't really go check), and except for the title track it actually sounds really different than all their other stuff, but it's good too if you ever come across it. About three years ago Moxy Fruvous was my favourite group, so it's actually weird that I haven't listened to anything by them in such a long while. I should remedy this. *goes to look for iPod*
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.