Billy Bob Thornton is a dick.

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Billy Bob Thornton is a dick.

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Mr. Billy Bob Thornton is currently on tour with his band Boxmasters who are on opening for Willie Nelson.
Along the way they stopped in to QTV, a radio (and presumably TV as well?) show which is hosted by Jian Ghomeshi (one of the members of Moxy Fruvous).
Video is here.
Jian introduced them as a band, but made an aside about his acting career.
Apparently all producers from whatever interviews the Boxmasters have done have been told to not mention this, at all.
So, after the introduction, Thornton is completely unresponsive, and ends up coming to it in a primadonna type of way, where there is a bit of an exchange between Jian and Billy Bob. Apparently he is really offended whenever someone mentions that he has done anything other than be involved in music.
Note: The video has "blow up" in quotes, because it is hardly a blow up. Billy Bob barely even raises his voice. It doesn't change the fact that he is a real dick about it, and the fact that you can't even mention the fact that he has acted, which is why the band has the following it does, and it gives context to the band...

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: Billy Bob Thornton is a dick.

Post by smiley_cow »

Wow that was a really awkward interview.

Billy Bob Thorton answered with a lot of 'I don't know's' and not really answering Jian's questions. It makes me wonder if he wasn't entirely there.

And 'You wouldn't say that to Tom Petty.' was said a couple times as well. Though he was a lot better after the air was cleared, but it was still quite odd.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

So, I've done a bit of research, and it seems that Billy Bob does both vocals and drums (apparently on tour they bring someone who can swap in for him, so he can go up front to sing for some songs). I'd imagine that he wasn't supposed to play drums for the song at all, but to sing. Which means that even though they "made peace" he still had a grudge.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

About five minutes after I posted my last reply I've come across three different mentions of it (to be fair, two were on CBC websites). Apparently this is a bigger deal than I thought it was. Nonetheless I am still very amused.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Bad Santa is a crappy movie. Just sayin'.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:Bad Santa is a crappy movie. Just sayin'.
I can't give you a single movie I've liked him in. Well, other than Tombstone. But his was a bit part back when he was relatively unknown.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

On another note, I though Jian Ghomeshi was really classy. Even at Thorton's dickiest, he was still polite and didn't respond to any of his antagonizing.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

smiley_cow wrote:On another note, I though Jian Ghomeshi was really classy. Even at Thorton's dickiest, he was still polite and didn't respond to any of his antagonizing.
I agree. He was polite without being pandering.
The interview actually made me want to check out his show. I've always had a desire to, but I just don't often think about it. He seems like he might be almost as good of an interviewer as Strombo.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Bad news bears was ace.

'nuff said.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I listen to Q sometimes, though not regularly. Every once in a while it has someone on who I'm a huge fan of (I'm still bitterly disappointed that I missed his interview with Owen Pallett) but if it's not it gets so technical that I find I get bored easily. It's still a really good show I think, and it's refreshing to see someone who's not afraid to actually get into some of the more technical aspects that not everyone would be as interested in. Which is why I love that so many of the episodes are posted on youtube so I can pick and choose. :)

Plus he's the only person I know who actually interviews some of my favourite bands, which Strombo doesn't, despite the vast majority of them being Canadian, and him being a fan of them. Though I do still enjoy the hour, and I wish I was somewhere right now with a good enough Internet connection to actually watch some of the last few episodes.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

So apparently Billy Bob Thorton got booed in Toronto yesterday following his interview. Then he blamed it on Jian Ghomeshi. This is entertaining me more than it should.

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

smiley_cow wrote:So apparently Billy Bob Thorton got booed in Toronto yesterday following his interview. Then he blamed it on Jian Ghomeshi. This is entertaining me more than it should.
Not only that Cow (I'm calling you Cow now) he has decided to cancel the rest of his Canadian performances. I cannot find a link but Global news just told me so. Thornton is a dick.
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

MTV is doing a decent attempt to spin Billy Bob as a sympathetic character, at least as long as you haven't seen the interview.

As for his attempt to rationalise it as an appropriate response to the studio breaking the alleged promise not to mention his acting career, I just have to call bullshit. An appropriate response is to ignore questions that relate to his acting.

::edit::
According to Macleans, a note on Willie Nelson's site said that the Boxmasters were dropping out "due to one band member and several of the crew having the flu." Also, I find it hilarious that the caption of the photo on file for Billy Bob mentions his movie.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Edminster wrote:MTV is doing a decent attempt to spin Billy Bob as a sympathetic character, at least as long as you haven't seen the interview.

As for his attempt to rationalise it as an appropriate response to the studio breaking the alleged promise not to mention his acting career, I just have to call bullshit. An appropriate response is to ignore questions that relate to his acting.

::edit::
According to Macleans, a note on Willie Nelson's site said that the Boxmasters were dropping out "due to one band member and several of the crew having the flu." Also, I find it hilarious that the caption of the photo on file for Billy Bob mentions his movie.
But there were no questions about his acting. Ghomeshi is too professional to do that. It isn't a movie show.
And how many people think anyone actually has the flu?