RPG: Take 3 (Discussion Thread)

Where Fun goes to Die!

Moderator: Oldrac the Chitinous

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Re: RPG: Take 3

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

All right! I have electricity again. Game is going to start on time! (I'm thinking 6:00, but if I say that for sure, odds are that it won't actually start on time.)

New characters look good. Wouldn't be the 30's without a hobo and a Captain of Industry! I'll put up Jimmy now, and Tycoonpants pending Lethal's approval.
If you want to make a character and join later, Mage, that's fine with me. I think we've got just enough room for one more.

A couple of specifc notes:
Astatia - If you'd like, I'm willing to let you broaden your Dancing skill to Cabaret, so you'll also be able to sing and act, too. It's up to you, though. You might also want to consider a convincing-type skill to use in conjunction with your persuasion ability. Deception, Bribery/Seduction, or Argument might be good options.
LR, I'm going to say that you can use your "Business" Acumen to get around other parts of the underworld, too, not just those associated with larger organizations. You are not allowed to change the name of the skill, however.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:I looked through the thread, and all you've given me to work with is 'Newspaper Magnate' and 'Blacklight under the toilet rim'.
Concept wrote:XXXXX
Special Feature: Anonymous Sources (Once per game day, knows one piece of otherwise-unknown information that will help accomplish a task. For example, Paco's Jazz Club has a speakeasy hidden in the back, but unfortunately the password was changed this morning and none of the rest of the party know it. Luckily for everybody, XXXXX received that particular morsel of knowledge from an anonymous tipster earlier that day, and tells the muscle man that 'his wife has the DTs'. The tough obliges by opening the door, and the party is in!)
Class: Newspaper Magnate
Skills:
+ Newshound
+ Slander (published)
- ????
????

XXXXX is a butter and egg man if you've ever seen one. Maybe not the prime example, but this guy looks togged to the bricks as Rockafeller himself, and his attitude says people normally listen to him. What he's doin' in this gin joint you haven't the slightest, but you ain't snoopy enough to ask around until he flashes a roll of sawbucks the size of your fist. This guy might be worth dogging, if it means some of that cabbage floats your way.
Thanks kindly, sir. That's great. I added Slander (published) as a skill. The ability to publically humiliate.
I don't know what the negative skill is? So I don't know what to put in there.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

The negative sign is just there as a spacer, since the Forum clears out whitespace. It's just a skill that you have that was picked up in life, not related to your Profession.

Also, for you Spider-Man fans:
J. Jonah Jameson wrote:Slander is spoken. In print, it's libel.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

The negative skill is just one that isn't direcly related to your profession. So Macrame or Carousing or something like that.
I might also suggest for your special feature Filthy Rich or something of that character. Unless you want to be a Newspauper. (I just made that up right now!)
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Okay. And I very nearly changed it to libel. I just wasn't 100% sure of definition.
And filthy rich would be a good addition.
Okay, here is my final (I think).

William J. Phentermine
Special Feature: Anonymous Sources (Once per game day, knows one piece of otherwise-unknown information that will help accomplish a task. For example, Paco's Jazz Club has a speakeasy hidden in the back, but unfortunately the password was changed this morning and none of the rest of the party know it. Luckily for everybody, XXXXX received that particular morsel of knowledge from an anonymous tipster earlier that day, and tells the muscle man that 'his wife has the DTs'. The tough obliges by opening the door, and the party is in!)
Class: Newspaper Magnate
Skills:
+ Filthy Rich
+ Libel
- Ventriloquism (taught by his former-carny nanny)
????

William J. Phentermine is a butter and egg man if you've ever seen one. Maybe not the prime example, but this guy looks togged to the bricks as Rockafeller himself, and his attitude says people normally listen to him. What he's doin' in this gin joint you haven't the slightest, but you ain't snoopy enough to ask around until he flashes a roll of sawbucks the size of your fist. This guy might be worth dogging, if it means some of that cabbage floats your way.

I got rid of Newshound because I wasn't sure that it wasn't covered in my special skill and libel.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Actually, what I had in mind was Filthy Rich replacing Anonymous Sources. Being Rich doesn't really seem like a skill to me.
If you did that, I'd pick up Newshound again, to help recover some of your information-gathering capabilities.

A thing to consider!

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

J. Jonah Jameson wrote:Slander is spoken. In print, it's libel.
Hahah that's probably the best line in the film.

astasia
Is Totally a People

Post by astasia »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:All right! I have electricity again. Game is going to start on time! (I'm thinking 6:00, but if I say that for sure, odds are that it won't actually start on time.)

New characters look good. Wouldn't be the 30's without a hobo and a Captain of Industry! I'll put up Jimmy now, and Tycoonpants pending Lethal's approval.
If you want to make a character and join later, Mage, that's fine with me. I think we've got just enough room for one more.

A couple of specifc notes:
Astatia - If you'd like, I'm willing to let you broaden your Dancing skill to Cabaret, so you'll also be able to sing and act, too. It's up to you, though. You might also want to consider a convincing-type skill to use in conjunction with your persuasion ability. Deception, Bribery/Seduction, or Argument might be good options.
LR, I'm going to say that you can use your "Business" Acumen to get around other parts of the underworld, too, not just those associated with larger organizations. You are not allowed to change the name of the skill, however.
I would like to broaden to Cabaret, that would be great (I mean, she is an actress). Also, I'm totally picking seduction. Should I go ahead and edit my character, or do you want to?
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Hey what's this? Are we starting?

I've made a new thread for the official actions. This could either make things simpler, or impossibly complicated.

There are two kinds of scenes – open scenes and timed scenes. Open scenes are those in which it's not necessary to keep track of what everyone's doing at every moment. Whenever the official actions thread is unlocked, it's an open scene. If you want to take an action in an open scene, go right ahead. Narrate it however you want, but stick to narration - don't start talking about hit points and rolling. If you think there's a chance you might fail at whatever you're trying to do, narrate up to the part where you might succeed or fail. Then mention what you're planning to do in the discussion thread. I'll give you a number to roll against, and then you roll.

When it seems like there's a bunch of action to start, I'll lock the narration thread, and it'll switch to a timed scene. These are divided into rounds. Everybody gets one action per round, and they all happen at the same time, special circumstances notwithstanding. Tell me your actions in the discussion thread, and I'll give you a number to roll against. You've got 48 hours or so to get me your actions, otherwise you forfeit your turn. If there are any rolls that need to be made at the end of that time, I'll make them, and write up the outcome of that scene.

tl;dr, That's "this thread is OOC, the other thread is IC. I narrate the combat scenes, you narrate the rest."

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Re: RPG: Take 3 (Discussion Thread)

Nobody merge this, 'kay?

Here's what all of y'all are up to at the start of this here RPG.

Eddie: You've just finished making some minor repairs to the still in a shed on the edge of the property, and now you are enjoying a refreshing beverage.

Mimi: You're a dancer in the floor show tonight, and the understudy to the lead (playing Calamity Jane) in the big dance number. She hasn't shown up yet, but that's pretty typical for her. You're killing time at the bar until you find out what costume you should be getting into.

John: You've got a job here. There's a Phrasebook Amy here that you've squeezing, and it looks like she's finally going to give. You've never met her, but she's supposed to be here tonight. An associate of yours, Lou Yorba, is going to make the actual exchange; you're supposed to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

Marcie: Your fence mentioned a rumor that there was going to be some kind of valuable property exchanged here tonight. You're here to learn more. You don't know what it is, but you have a photo of a guy, L. Yorba, who's supposed to be one of the involved parties.

Jimmy: You're in the kitchen. This place is supposed to be generous with scraps, and it's been a while since you ate last.

William: You are here to have a drink.

What do you do next?

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Reminder!

I enjoy ham sandwiches, and so does Oldrac.
Last edited by Edminster on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: currently irrelevant information covertly destroyed
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

astasia
Is Totally a People

Post by astasia »

We'll be told when we need to use said dice things, yes?*

*I'm not always this ignorant. Promise.
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Yeah, we'll be told when we need the Dice server. Not sure why you bring it up, though.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Actually, what I had in mind was Filthy Rich replacing Anonymous Sources. Being Rich doesn't really seem like a skill to me.
If you did that, I'd pick up Newshound again, to help recover some of your information-gathering capabilities.

A thing to consider!
You'd probably know better (as you are running the story), but I would think that Anonymous Sources would be a very valuable asset in the way described. I'd prefer not to lose it.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?

WILL JIMMY REALISE THAT WITHOUT EDDIE CONTROLLING IT, DOG IS A STATUE?

WILL MIMI GET CENTER STAGE?

WILL JOHN AND MARCIE CROSS EACH OTHER IN PURSUIT OF MONEY?

DOES WILLIAM KNOW THAT SMOKING INCREASES THE RISK OF LUNG DISEASE?

TUNE IN NEXT TIME ON THE FORUM RPG: SEASON THREE!

gödel stop spreading fud