LAST DOT FM

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: LAST DOT FM

Post by LordRetard »

Probably not. Nothing was cool thirty years ago.

AmnioticDruid

Post by AmnioticDruid »

Rainbow wrote:I don't really like being told what to listen to. I've heard lots about this LastFM crapohol, but I don't really stay inside a genre or like listening to similar music, so I am not getting into it. Also, I'm lazy.
There is no forcefulness here, and I mean, you can clearly see I don't keep within any boundaries of music.
I keep mostly obscure and independent, not on purpose though.

And damn everybody's laziness.
Crucify the Eggo, motherfuckers.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I like Last FM because I have a semi-OCD tendency for liking to record what I do, read and listen to so I can look over it and gloat over how awesome I am. *sigh* I just realised how sad I am.
anyway, http://www.last.fm/user/Apocalyptus
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

fancybone

Post by fancybone »

AmnioticDruid wrote:
Rainbow wrote:I don't really like being told what to listen to. I've heard lots about this LastFM crapohol, but I don't really stay inside a genre or like listening to similar music, so I am not getting into it. Also, I'm lazy.
There is no forcefulness here, and I mean, you can clearly see I don't keep within any boundaries of music.
I keep mostly obscure and independent, not on purpose though.

And damn everybody's laziness.
Yeah, I don't understand people who treat suggestions as orders. And I don't exactly stay within one genre, either, but that doesn't mean that listening to Band X in Genre Y means that I will hereby forcibly ignore every other band from Genre Y, lalalalala, I CANNOT HEAR YOU THUMBS ARE IN MY EARS.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

I didn't really mean I feel ordered, I just am bothered when there is a suggestion that is utterly wrong, and I tend to think those suggestions always suggest the same thing. People that like this like this, but people that are me that like this like that. Also, lazy.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

AmnioticDruid

Post by AmnioticDruid »

Apocalyptus wrote:I like Last FM because I have a semi-OCD tendency for liking to record what I do, read and listen to so I can look over it and gloat over how awesome I am. *sigh* I just realised how sad I am.
anyway, http://www.last.fm/user/Apocalyptus
Wheee, friend. I should've checked here first.

@Rainbow: I get it, I guess.
Crucify the Eggo, motherfuckers.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Rainbow wrote:I didn't really mean I feel ordered, I just am bothered when there is a suggestion that is utterly wrong, and I tend to think those suggestions always suggest the same thing. People that like this like this, but people that are me that like this like that. Also, lazy.
Hahah I know people who signed up for some dating site called "eHarmony" as a joke, the one that's advertised by a really sleazy old guy named Neil Clark Warren. One of my friends got paired up with all sorts of nature-and-animal lovers and was saying, "what the fuck? I hate the outdoors!" So I guess I can understand somewhat. Also people will sometimes recommend books (sometimes music, but that hardly ever comes up) that I don't like but they see as being very similar to what I like. "Oh you're a big fan of Kafka right? You'll LOVE George Saunders!" "Oh you're a big fan of Camus right? You'll LOVE Sartre!" (I've bent on this one, and plan to read La Nausée) I think the more offensive notion is always that it shows how little that person knows about the books I like. Everyone compares Murakami to Kafka these days and I always wonder "have any of these people read anything by Kafka?" I don't think I'd be that bothered by a machine giving me suggestions, though, because it's just doing what it's programmed to.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

No one bothers to ask "What do you like" about the book or author. That's the real problem.
I like stories like 1984, Catch 22, and anything else that cautions of the power of the big government. However, it can't be just "blah blah Oppressive society". These stories use our justifications to not imagine a world where there are evil oppressors, but to open your eyes and show you that it is already happening now.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

You are insightful, Ahmet? You should get that checked out. It's a good point that the reason you like a book may not be because of the most noteworthy element or a certain element, it is because of whatever part you liked. There are a lot of cases where I like something of a category I usually avoid because it's proving a point that is awesome or it's written in a tone that is intriguing. I really hate the grouping of subject in books instead of plot or originality or whathaveyou. That's what attracts me in terms of books, especially.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Wait, was that sarcastic or sincere? I have two different responses, pending your answer.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

Flip a coin. I'm not sure myself.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I merely described an element I enjoyed. I'm thinking that if you can't sit with the person and have a half hour discussion on the books you enjoy, this person's recommendations isn't all that great to invest in, for either money or time.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

AHMETxRock wrote:I merely described an element I enjoyed. I'm thinking that if you can't sit with the person and have a half hour discussion on the books you enjoy, this person's recommendations isn't all that great to invest in, for either money or time.
Yes, I actually did sincerely agree with you before. It's bothersome when someone assumes you like something for the wrong reason. I feel like people are always going to do the 'Fight Club is similar to Some Shitty Action Movie' breed of comparison, instead of addressing what the personal reason you like it was.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I liked how the guys were fighting, but it wasn't homo-erotic at all. How they ripped off their shirts, and got on top of one another, and defiled the virgins among themselves, and that big man with those HUGE BREASTS...
Oh yes...

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

You just killed my soul.