Book Suggestions

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Snarky00
/shrug

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Snarky00 »

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

If you've never read it, The Count of Monte Cristo is probably one of my favorite historical fiction stories of all time.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Ah, I finally finished another of Robin Hobb's trilogies, and once again I know she's my favorite fantasy author next to Tolkien.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I seriously and highly recommend you read "The Princess Bride" it is the pinnacle of comedic fantasy writing. The author is absolutly stunning (William Goldman).
King Prawn

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

I too love Jasper Fforde. Do you (or anyone else) know when the next Nursery Crimes book is coming out? It sees like it should be due to come out soon. The (Fforde's) website hasn't been updated in a long time . . .

Anyway, I'd recommend Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, by Douglas Adams.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

You could check Amazon, if it's coming out in the next six months or so it'll probably be on their list.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Ray Bradbury's pretty awesome, his short fiction is amazing e.g. his mars stories.
Also, I highly recommend Dan Simmons' Hyperion Series - it's pretty hefty, but worth it. Also his two book series about the Trojan war that is also set in the future in a weird (but excellent) way (Ilium and Olympos).

If you're more into Fantasy, a series by Traci Harding starting with the book Ancient Future is pretty interesting. Time travel, magic and a some sci fi later in the series too.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:If you're more into Fantasy, a series by Traci Harding starting with the book Ancient Future is pretty interesting. Time travel, magic and a some sci fi later in the series too.
Is this sort of like those Anne McCaffy (I don't care how her name is spelt) books about Pern, where suddenly it turns out that they are a colonized planet and that there are space ships? Because that was really lame.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:If you're more into Fantasy, a series by Traci Harding starting with the book Ancient Future is pretty interesting. Time travel, magic and a some sci fi later in the series too.
Is this sort of like those Anne McCaffy (I don't care how her name is spelt) books about Pern, where suddenly it turns out that they are a colonized planet and that there are space ships? Because that was really lame.
Eh no it's pretty different, although I haven't read any of the dragonrider series. It's more like, it starts off with this modern woman accidentally going back to pagan England, and throughout the series history progresses up to, and past the present. Also a bit of to and fro-ing of time travel and some new age-y magicy stuff.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Hmm sounds interesting. I'll try and remember it... *looks at pile of unread books beside bed* ... in a couple of years when I'm free again.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Kimra wrote:Hmm sounds interesting. I'll try and remember it... *looks at pile of unread books beside bed* ... in a couple of years when I'm free again.
Oh yeah, well I have TWO piles!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

LordRetard wrote:
Kimra wrote:Hmm sounds interesting. I'll try and remember it... *looks at pile of unread books beside bed* ... in a couple of years when I'm free again.
Oh yeah, well I have TWO piles!
Yeah? Well my pile of books is as very tall!
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Yeah, well my books are very thin! But with, like, big words and shit!

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

LordRetard wrote:Yeah, well my books are very thin! But with, like, big words and shit!
And shit!? I don't think I'll be borrowing any books from you in the near future...

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Well then you can't have them!