I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Post by Kimra »

AHMETxRock wrote:So, like, what are you going to do? Just stop pursuing any degree? Take a break from the pursuit of any one?
Learn ballroom dancing?
Ballroom dancing if they are the only options.

I'm looking at some jobs right now, basically whatever pays.
But would really like to spend time writing, since I've put that on hold for so long and I miss it. A lot.
So I guess I'll see what fate gives me. If I happen to get a job, then I'll just do the things I like in my spare time. But there will be Spare Time, which Uni has never allowed me to have (yes I took time, but it was stolen time not actually spare so there was always this feeling of guilt associated with it).
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

HARDKORE wrote:If i had that much money i would just put it away with the rest of my jars of cash burried in the back yard. What is the point of having cash and not having anyone to spend it on.
Maybe you can buy a lady with your dirty money.

GET IT. GET IT.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

We've got the same kind of student loans here. I think the major difference is that US schools just cost a lot more to begin with, to the tune of $20-40K US a year. As opposed to what appears to be about $10-18K AU in Australia.
'cause we love us some capitalism.

In any case, I commend your courage. It takes a lot of it to jump the rails like you're about to do.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:We've got the same kind of student loans here. I think the major difference is that US schools just cost a lot more to begin with, to the tune of $20-40K US a year. As opposed to what appears to be about $10-18K AU in Australia.

In any case, I commend your courage. It takes a lot of it to jump the rails like you're about to do.
Done it. About four hours ago. Yay for decision making.
Not too courageous... more a knowledge that I was going to fail absolutely everything even if I didn't quit so I may as well make it look intentional. :D
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

In Canadia, uni's subsidised so we only have to pay about $6000. But scholarships are much harder to get, I was offered $1000 at a school that I didn't go to because of my very high calculus mark. And my school hasn't offered me anything for either year (my GPA fell 0.04 short of an automatic scholarship; I was rounded out of $1000). Still, it's a small enough amount that you can work construction or whatever for the summer months and have enough for school and books the next year. Anyway, my parents are paying for me, so not really an issue.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Here in Manitoba we could about 50% of what we spend on uni back in taxes over the next ten years because young people won't stay in the province when they're done. So that's alright, though I don't think it's worth living in Manitoba for ten more years. Also scholarships here (in Manitoba at least, I don't know much about the rest of the country) are very easy to get, a lot of them don't even get used just because nobody ever bothers applying for them.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

Ballroom dancing is easy. Safety dancing is not.

Schools suck here. You have to be smart in everything to get into them. At least he ones that I tried to get into.

Why would I want to buy a woman with dirty money. Woman who are after your money are a dime a dozen around here. That being said, I live so far out there is only about a dozen around here.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Well at least you can afford them all.

astasia
Is Totally a People

Post by astasia »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:We've got the same kind of student loans here. I think the major difference is that US schools just cost a lot more to begin with, to the tune of $20-40K US a year. As opposed to what appears to be about $10-18K AU in Australia.

Well...that's not really true. You don't get to not pay back your loans until you get a high enough paying job. You get 6 months to a year after you graduate. There is no guarantee you'll have a job.
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

astasia wrote:

Well...that's not really true. You don't get to not pay back your loans until you get a high enough paying job. You get 6 months to a year after you graduate. There is no guarantee you'll have a job.
Luckily, I've gone on interest relief, which our gov't student loans have the option for, if you don't get a job that can support the payments. I had a job out of uni, but a poorly paid one. So I applied and got it, so no paying back and no interest for me. You have to reapply every 6 months. I don't think many people actually realize the option. In hindsight, I wish I would've just tried to work it into my budget, because I do want to go back to school, but I don't want to go with a bundle of debt. The problem here is that I've come to a point where I don't know if what I had set out to do is something I want to do, and thus I just want to go back to school and begin to strive towards my longer-term goal of teaching uni. If I would've known this, I would've probably busted my ass to pay it all off, and I would already be back in school. Hindsight and all that. So, I'm now squirrelling away money so that when I come off of interest relief next time, I'll have a sufficient buffer so that I'll have no problem paying off quickly, hopefully.

Also, Astasia, she does already have a degree (a BA, I believe she said), she just has decided not to go for teacher's college. So she has a completed uni education, she's just opting out of continued education to be allowed to teach.

Snarky00
/shrug

Post by Snarky00 »

Kimra:

Unless you have specific plans that require it a degree is just a piece of paper. Persue whatever makes you happy and if you don't think that's teaching anymore then spend some time finding out what it is.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

astasia wrote:Well...that's not really true. You don't get to not pay back your loans until you get a high enough paying job. You get 6 months to a year after you graduate. There is no guarantee you'll have a job.
Oh. I should learn to read.

/ritualsuicide
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

Hey platinum princess. We can teach you stuff from all over the world. That is if you want.

I can give you a lesson in good old fashion Kentucky moonshine.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

HARDKORE wrote:Hey platinum princess. We can teach you stuff from all over the world. That is if you want.

I can give you a lesson in good old fashion Kentucky moonshine.
Boo Yah. Sounds like a plan. Party at Hardkores!
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I just worry that the party is going to end like Deliverance.

I still think it's funny