Book Suggestions

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by LordRetard »

It's easily done by accident, but it takes a heart of darkness to do it on purpose.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

LordRetard wrote:It's easily done by accident, but it takes a heart of darkness to do it on purpose.
You would know. ++
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

LordRetard wrote:It's easily done by accident, but it takes a heart of darkness to do it on purpose.
Although I can't really picture Kurtz doing that sort of thing.

In case anyone is confused by my oh-so-cultured literary reference - link
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I'm thinking of actually bothering to read some Conrad. I didn't like him at all when I read The Secret Sharer for school but I read the first page of it again and I find it way more bearable now.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Well the only thing I've read of his was Heart of Darkness (for school). It is really good, but yeah not exactly uplifting. I don't know how he managed to get away with writing such an accurate, unflattering portrayal of European colonisation exploitation at that time without being censored.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:Well the only thing I've read of his was Heart of Darkness (for school). It is really good, but yeah not exactly uplifting. I don't know how he managed to get away with writing such an accurate, unflattering portrayal of European colonisation exploitation at that time without being censored.
I found myself extremely confused by bits in the book. Maybe my head wasn't screwed on properly, but I would be halfway through the next chapter before I realised, superficially, what happened in the previous one.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Reading the Wiki on the book made me think that I might read it in the future.
The fact that some friends in an english class read that and watched Apocalypse Now to discuss made me apprehensive, because I did not care for that movie at all (or at least, not the second half).

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:Well the only thing I've read of his was Heart of Darkness (for school). It is really good, but yeah not exactly uplifting. I don't know how he managed to get away with writing such an accurate, unflattering portrayal of European colonisation exploitation at that time without being censored.
I found myself extremely confused by bits in the book. Maybe my head wasn't screwed on properly, but I would be halfway through the next chapter before I realised, superficially, what happened in the previous one.
Nah, it's pretty dense - you have to read it a few times to get it I think, and I'm not confident enough to say I do fully 'get it'. We watched Apocalypse Now in class too - I liked it, although the bit wherethe bull gets hacked into pieces is a bit full on...

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:although the bit wherethe bull gets hacked into pieces is a bit full on...
And it was made before animal welfare was in place for movies... This movie helped my sister become a vegetarian.
King Prawn

thatAdamskid

Post by thatAdamskid »

If nobody has mentioned it yet: Douglas Adams. Absolutely. And although I haven't read it yet, I've heard a bunch of good reviews of slaughterhouse five. I really have no idea what it's about yet though.

Once again, sorry for disrupting the flow of the thread. I know how much you like your comebacks... well... carry on.
Zelda + Black Holes = Zelda: Ocarina of Spacetime.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's not a disruption of flow, that's just a necropost. But not many people care about it so it's okay!

Douglas Adams is a pretty cool guy, I read the five Hitchhiker's Guide books and they're all great.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'm sorry. I have to say this. But Zach's reading list... it's freaky. How does he fit that many books in? I don't care what he says, thats a lot of books.
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Maybe. All I know is I got through the books Dangerous Games, Space, Inc., and Children of the Atom in the past three days. Right now I'm starting in on ARC Riders but have Dreamships, Trouble And Her Friends, and Starship Troopers queued up when I finish it. I expect to be done by the end of the week.

It also helps that I can read swiftly and that two of those seven books were short story compilations.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I've mentioned this a couple of times before but it's always kind of embarrassing that my mother and my two brothers read so much faster than I can. Only my father reads slower than me. I don't think I can even read as fast as an average person.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

LordRetard wrote:Everybody loves Terry Pratchett but I'll confess to not having read a single thing by him.
Yeah, really old quote. I'm sorry.
I recently read some of him. It really is great, and I think this fits with what Tundra's looking for. Read the Discworld novels. The first is The Colour of Magic.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.