Banishments of 2005 and 2025, The

Symposium Mandated Bibliognostic 'Cyclopedia
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Banishments of 2005 and 2025, The

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Early in the history of SMB City, when it was a mere collection of citizenry, it was deemed by Sir Zach of Wiztoast (later known as Zach The Magnificent and other names as he became more universally known) that the people needed a rudimentary police force. Sir Zach chose a marshal he could trust, and found a fellow web denizen to police the masses. Sheriff Dani, as she would be known to the population, was appointed as the lone officer to police the area.

At the time the population was mostly a rag tag group, not requiring any registration papers. However, this did not stop Sheriff Dani from asserting her control, and the power quickly went to her head, which began the Banishments of 2005. This recently unearthed document outlines one such banisment:
Sir Zach of Wiztoast wrote:Massive bias will be given to those who BOTHER TO REGISTER
Johnny B. Goode wrote:Would you rather us REGISTER TO BOTHER??????????
Sheriff Dani wrote:I'd rather you didn't. Two day ban.
It is estimated that Sheriff Dani banished over 120 people for things such as poor punctuation, terrible witticisms, as well as other trivial reasons during the span of 2005. Although it is noted that the bans were rarely for long term, and just a way for Sheriff Dani to show that she was, indeed, in charge. (Also note: the <<Hierarchical Society of Ancient SMB City>> mentioned at by Sir Zach) In early 2006 Sheriff Dani was shot by disgruntled peons and presumed by many as dead, and without any speedy return, she was mostly forgotten about.

Until March 2025 when she reappeared as a grotesque image of her former self. In order to save her life it was necessary for the doctors to combine her mostly broken body with the mechanical remains of <<spam-bots>>, eventually calling herself RoboSheriff. Upon her return banishments were no longer for the same trivialities and were occasionally permanent. Often they were reported to have been assigned by a random number generator. Other times citizens complained of being threatened with banishment if they did not insert links to Adobe or <<Phentermine>> into their punctuation marks. Even the <<Regulars>> were not immune to her wrath, with <<Lethal Interjection>> even being banned for several months until his petitions for reinstatement were accepted. The Banishments of 2025 were far more grand in scope than those two decades prior, with a total of nearly 2100 total banishments.

The scope of these banishments did not go unnoticed, and Zach the Magnificent soon rescinded her powers, and she was seldom heard from again.

Author's Commentary: I recognize that it would've been possible to create an entry about Sheriff Dani herself, but as her presence on the board was very highly tied to these events, I figured a report on the events was more pertinent to our compendium.

Author's Commentary (part deux): Some have suggested that Office31 was actually the lovechild of Office30 and RoboSheriff, however this has been seen as mere religious speculation.
Last edited by Lethal Interjection on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: Banishments of 2005 and 2025, The

Post by mountainmage »

(Out of character)
Why are there so many references? I thought we only needed 2 phantoms and 1 reference to a previous article for this turn.
(/Out of Character)
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Laneth
Plot of Hemingway and Gags

Post by Laneth »

mountainmage wrote:(Out of character)
Why are there so many references? I thought we only needed 2 phantoms and 1 reference to a previous article for this turn.
(/Out of Character)
(OOC)It was discussed in the Cyclopedia thread (I think, or Lexicon) that we can have several phantoms so long as we don't go overboard.
It was also my understanding that we weren't to reference phantoms that other people had actually referenced before. I count at least two that have been done before in other articles that probably don't need to be referenced here.(/OOC)
Laneth Sffarlenn
Almost like a memory, this phantasm has reappeared...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Only two of my references were properly phantoms. The rest were references to articles already slated to be written. I didn't reference SMB City and Zach The Magnificent because they are both pretty entrenched in the wiki already. And I linked Regulars and Lethal Interjection because they are already on the list for future topics, and this post doesn't really add much, if anything, to those actual posts (Regulars is going to already be a pretty general topic, and it would only need be a small footnote in the Lethal Interjection topic). I linked Adobe as my existing link, and Phentermine and the other one as my actual links. I just figured if anyone was going to rifle through this in future dates, it would be helpful for it to be decently self-referential so all you have to do is follow links to find out about certain topics. I mean already written articles can have links added (and has Ed already done this? I thought I noticed something like that) as the entries intertwine. That was my thought anyways. If nothing else my extra links can be editted out, but I see them as mostly harmless, and ultimately helpful to traversing this wiki.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I totally inspired the use of the word witticisms in your article. I CALL IT!
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I'm counting three new phantoms and two pre-existing ones, but absolutely no citations to existing entries. This must be attended to post-haste, as the rules state that you must reference an existing entry on every turn after the beginning turn.

While I personally believe that more than three links total is excessive, I understand your wish to make this 'Cyclopedia as comprehensive as possible.
Laneth wrote:It was also my understanding that we weren't to reference phantoms that other people had actually referenced before.
It is alright to reference something that another already has, so long as the reference makes sense and has not been over-cited. I understand that this does not give a clear limit, but I trust in everyone's judgement on this.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

One could argue that, despite the lack of actual linkage, the reference in the first sentence to "SMB City" could be relied upon as the reference to a pre-written article?
Laneth Sffarlenn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

From my understanding of the text, it's a reference to Ancient SMB City. As far as my research has shown me, that is what they used to call the precursor to what we know as SMB City.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

Edminster wrote:From my understanding of the text, it's a reference to Ancient SMB City. As far as my research has shown me, that is what they used to call the precursor to what we know as SMB City.
Ah, quite right, quite right. I stand corrected, thank'ee sir.
Laneth Sffarlenn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

No worries! When I referenced my 'research', I was talking about how Lethal pointed the very same thing out to me.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Sorry! The reference to Adobe was supposed to be towards the already written article. I partially didn't because I forgot to go back and edit the full title in, and partially didn't because the full title of the article wouldn't have meshed well with my sentence structure.
Which, unless I am mistaken leaves only Phentermine and Hierarchical Structures being the (properly) phantom entries.

Also, apparently I forgot to add the conclusion about Sheriff Dani's second fate, which I planned on including. A small edit, but seemingly necessary. And I added another commentary section.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

If I might split a couple of hairs:
  • I think "rescind" or "revoke" would work better than relinquish, which means "give up."
  • Is the third quote Sheriff Dani? It's a little unclear without an attribution.
  • "banishments were no longer for simple trivialities" makes it sound like she only banished people for serious offenses, which I don't think is what you meant.
  • In the following sentence, I'd replace "done" with "assigned," unless RoboSheriff deputized a random number generator and delegated her ban authority to it. Which could well be the case, but if it is, it could stand to be a little clearer.
It's a solid article otherwise!
I had not been aware of the possible RoboSheriff - Office30 liaison, and now that I am, I wish I weren't. The sacrifices we make for science.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:If I might split a couple of hairs:
  • I think "rescind" or "revoke" would work better than relinquish, which means "give up."
  • Is the third quote Sheriff Dani? It's a little unclear without an attribution.
  • "banishments were no longer for simple trivialities" makes it sound like she only banished people for serious offenses, which I don't think is what you meant.
  • In the following sentence, I'd replace "done" with "assigned," unless RoboSheriff deputized a random number generator and delegated her ban authority to it. Which could well be the case, but if it is, it could stand to be a little clearer.
It's a solid article otherwise!
I had not been aware of the possible RoboSheriff - Office30 liaison, and now that I am, I wish I weren't. The sacrifices we make for science.
Thanks for the suggestions/edits. They have all been fixed as such. Except for the third quote, which someone beat me to (I must've forgotten in my initial posting).
Off topic side note: I wrote this post yesterday afternoon. Last night I watched Wanted, which also had a random name generator (the loom of fate).