A Stylish Whirlwind

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: A Stylish Whirlwind

Post by LordRetard »

starling_bird wrote:
LordRetard wrote:They still publish some stuff in Latin, but nobody reads it so it's okay.
It's called 'botany'... I don't know what it's actually for apart from elitism for those who can pronounce the names.
This is one interesting thing I learned when I took German class. In English, the names we use for scientific terms, ex. bones and plants and stuff, are all taken from Latin, whereas German normally uses the original Germanic word. The word "xenophobia"* translates into "Ausländerfeindlichkeit", which most literally means "foreigner hostility". This is what makes German sound so funny and yet very easy to recognise new words!

*I confess that this is Greek, but honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of good Latin words that English uses. Oddly enough.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Television!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Oh that one's easy, it's der Fernseher, or "far seer".

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Telos is Greek.

Most anatomical things are Latin, though. Corpus Callosum, Scapula, Malleus/Inchus/Stapes, et cetera.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Malleus/Inchus/Stapes
These ones I think are known by their Germanic names mostly, Hammer, Amboss and Steigbügel.

linklidk

Amazing

Post by linklidk »

That is amazing.[url=http://www.crushermills.org/]Thanks.[/url]