The Olympics!

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: The Olympics!

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote: So that was MacIsaac. I thought it was, but I don't know him well enough to be sure.
I was a little surprised, but ultimately happy. The fiddling they were doing was his, and at the end they did Fire In the Kitchen when he came on. I also don't know if it was intentional, but they definitely represented the gay community. Two of the major performers (ultimately 2/3 if you count Furtado/Adams as one and don't count the anthem singers)

I've always quite liked KD Lang, though I'm really disappointed she couldn't be singing live, she's pretty good live. (In case you can't tell, I'm really pretty disappointed about the whole not trusting performers to actually sing bit.) I am also very happy to report that the only cover of Cohen's Hallelujah that I have ever heard is KD Lang's, and I don't want to change that because that is an amazing song, and I don't need to hear it by any other artists, it's perfect as is.
Did they all sync? Because this one I thought might not have been. Also funny that they didn't trust the performers and then the torch screwed up.
I can't say I'm fond of Ron MacLean as an announcer.
Ron Maclean is still with CBC. It was Brian Williams. And I hate him. When CTV got coverage, I thought, "Thank God, we don't have to hear Williams blather on and on all Olympics long..." And then CTV picked him up. Ughhh. I'd much, much, much prefer Ron McLean. My favourite Williams moment of the night? Gretzky's on the back of the truck, Williams is to busy listening to his own voice, and then the topic of conversation comes to the torch itself, and it's life span, etc. He says, "Boy, this must be some specialized torch to have this life, as they only had about 15 minutes of life through the relay" while having missed them swap out torches about a minute prior. And then he goes on about the torch and continues on how this one must've been made special, and how it has been going for 20+ minutes... Idiot.
I couldn't figure out if my favourite thing about Measha Brueggergosman was her hair, her dress or her voice.
True.

Oldrac wrote:I think the Canadian Olympic Committee dude could benefit from a bit of perspective. I found all the talk of heroism and the great good the athletes were doing a little bit hard to swallow. Also, his French was abominable.

Apart from that, I liked what I saw of the ceremony. The bit with the mountains was my favorite.
The mountains bit was great too, for sure. The projection they had on it looked really sharp.
And the French of that guy was bad. My favourite was "un ay kip". I'm sorry. You mean "une equipe"?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote: Did they all sync? Because this one I thought might not have been. Also funny that they didn't trust the performers and then the torch screwed up.
According to Jian Ghomeshi they did. He even tweeted about KD Lang's performance specifically, saying she could easily handle singing live.
Lethal Interjection wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:I can't say I'm fond of Ron MacLean as an announcer.
Ron Maclean is still with CBC. It was Brian Williams. And I hate him. When CTV got coverage, I thought, "Thank God, we don't have to hear Williams blather on and on all Olympics long..." And then CTV picked him up. Ughhh. I'd much, much, much prefer Ron McLean. My favourite Williams moment of the night? Gretzky's on the back of the truck, Williams is to busy listening to his own voice, and then the topic of conversation comes to the torch itself, and it's life span, etc. He says, "Boy, this must be some specialized torch to have this life, as they only had about 15 minutes of life through the relay" while having missed them swap out torches about a minute prior. And then he goes on about the torch and continues on how this one must've been made special, and how it has been going for 20+ minutes... Idiot.
My mistake, sorry. My mom told me it was Ron MacLean and I just believed her, it should have occurred to me he was a CBC employee. Still really unimpressed with the announcing.
Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Y'know, I don't think Hallelujah was a great choice. It's a terrific song, but it has too much bitterness for the occasion. Bird on a Wire would have been a much better pick.
I'm not sure KD Ling sings Bird on a Wire. Also I suspect they chose it because it was a really well known song and didn't even consider what it was actually about.
Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:I couldn't figure out if my favourite thing about Measha Brueggergosman was her hair, her dress, her voice, or her name.
Fix'd
Agreed, that is an awesome name.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

The best part about Romeo Dallaire was that he was played by Nick Nolton and Nolton is a fucking nut. Okay maybe that's the second best part but hey.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

The only person I know who's ever played Romeo Dollaire is Roy Dupuis, who's Nick Nolton and when did he play him?

Edit: Back on topic, medal counts are in! Albania is no longer winning. :(

I wonder if Canadia will manage to win a gold medal this time round. Third time's a charm, right?
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Okay, I've made a couple of factual* errors.

1. The actor's name is Nick Nolte, and he is a compulsive liar. He has been convicted for selling counterfeit documents and appeared in a hilarious mugshot for a DUI in 2002, since he used to look like the guy on the left.
2. He doesn't actually play Romeo Dallaire. Oops! I guess that's an important detail. But his character Colonel Oliver in Hotel Rwanda is definitely based on him, no question about it. Well there might be I don't really remember the movie or the actual situation that well. But that's what Wiki says so I'll stick by it.

*Factual is a codeword for "irrelevant".

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Ah. I've never actually seen Hotel Rwanda, so even had Dallaire been a character I'd still of had no idea. I've only ever seen Shake Hands with the Devil which was based off Dallaire's autobiography, and the event in the Rwandan Genocide.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Hmm I know we have a copy of the book at the library. Not much for non-fiction, is it good?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

The movie is surprisingly well done; I've never read the book, though I've been meaning to for a while, but I'm told by others that it's really good. I'm also told it's really shocking and disturbing at some points, but so was the movie, and that's really not a deterrent where I'm concerned, though it might be for others.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Woo! Canadia won a silver in Women's Moguls! I have no idea what that is!

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's like Citizen Kane right??

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think so.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Except with women instead of newspapers.

He's like This Guy.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I htink the olympics are dumb. It was done just to ease tensions after the whole "oh my god world wars man" panic.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Of course, seeing as they rediscovered the Olympics before World War I and all.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

There's been a war raging in my mind this whole time, though.