The Olympics!

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: The Olympics!

Post by Apocalyptus »

O RLY?

We have winter, we just don't like it.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Closing Ceremony thoughts.

The opening poking fun of the fact that the cauldron didn't work at the opening ceremonies? Brilliant, funny, and really a Canadian thing to do.

Neil Young was actually live? Also very cool.

Buble and the whole Canadian stereotype parade was great. I would've been annoyed if everything wasn't just so over the top.

And I think most of the concerts were actually live as well?
Nickelback - Great performance, terrible band.
Avril - Fine.
Alanis - Great, and one of the few post-JLP songs of hers I can stand.
French girl - Fine.
Simple Plan - Awful band, awful performance.
Hedley - Meh.
K-os - Awesome, and after about 3 performances I knew he was coming. As we don't currently have many artists that aren't rock/pop.

Disappointment? I understand nearly everyone being there. Except Simple Plan. I'd really have loved to see them replaced with Great Big Sea. It would've mixed up the genres a bit, and would've showcased Canadia a bit better. I'd also have loved the Hip to be there, but I understand that they don't have the same mass appeal, even if I think they are one of the most distinctly Canadian bands.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Lethal Interjection wrote:The opening poking fun of the fact that the cauldron didn't work at the opening ceremonies? Brilliant, funny, and really a Canadian thing to do.
This is really true, Canadians will always go ahead with poking fun at themselves.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Closing Ceremony thoughts.

The opening poking fun of the fact that the cauldron didn't work at the opening ceremonies? Brilliant, funny, and really a Canadian thing to do.
Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with mimes.
Neil Young was actually live? Also very cool.

Buble and the whole Canadian stereotype parade was great. I would've been annoyed if everything wasn't just so over the top.

And I think most of the concerts were actually live as well?
Nickelback - Great performance, terrible band.
Avril - Fine.
Alanis - Great, and one of the few post-JLP songs of hers I can stand.
French girl - Fine.
Simple Plan - Awful band, awful performance.
Hedley - Meh.
K-os - Awesome, and after about 3 performances I knew he was coming. As we don't currently have many artists that aren't rock/pop.

Disappointment? I understand nearly everyone being there. Except Simple Plan. I'd really have loved to see them replaced with Great Big Sea. It would've mixed up the genres a bit, and would've showcased Canadia a bit better. I'd also have loved the Hip to be there, but I understand that they don't have the same mass appeal, even if I think they are one of the most distinctly Canadian bands.
Yeah, I would have really loved if they'd mixed up the genres a bit more, or at least instead of just getting better known artists, actually gotten a real mix because Canadia has some real talent.

I also loved that William Shatner and Micheal J Fox did a monologue.

And I really liked Russia's thing because it was pretty.

My two favourite comments of the night (because like a nerd I was following it on twitter too) was Kate Beaton at the end when she said: 2010 closing ceremonies music brought to you by radio stations' lazy adherence to Can Con regulations.

And Jian Gohmeshi at the beginning of Russia's performance: Russia kicks off it's 2014 Games intro w/ a supermodel. Very pretty. But do they have Spirit Bear? No. They don't
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

LordRetard wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:The opening poking fun of the fact that the cauldron didn't work at the opening ceremonies? Brilliant, funny, and really a Canadian thing to do.
This is really true, Canadians will always go ahead with poking fun at themselves.
It's great that the thing planned at the last minute more accurately portrayed Canadia than anything else from either the opening or closing ceremonies (at least to me). Other countries might've put it up prior to the show, during the show to "rectify" the mistake, or something like that. But I can't think of many, if any, that would make a joke out of it.
Made me think how brilliant it would've been if they staged it like that from the start (I'm sure they didn't but man did they come back on it with a force). Glad they brought Le May Doan back to re-light. Apparently Gretzky felt bad about her just standing there not being involved, but she got plenty of spotlight in the "fix".

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Wasn't sure whether to post this in News or here, but opted for here as it is topical.
Heard about it on the radio this morning.
2% upsetting, 98% hilarious.

Vancouver Olympics? More like Nazi Berlin Olympics!

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Fuck, we're all nazis. How does this keep happening to me? also this is total bullshit

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Perhaps you should get rid of the Hitler 'stache for one.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I can't actually grow one. I am so ashamed.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Your fellow Nazis should be ashamed.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Wasn't sure whether to post this in News or here, but opted for here as it is topical.
Heard about it on the radio this morning.
2% upsetting, 98% hilarious.

Vancouver Olympics? More like Nazi Berlin Olympics!
I'm not sure the U.S. is allowed to call Canadia overly patriotic. Also that article was pretty poorly written, the writer needs to organize his thoughts a bit better/make his points a bit clearer.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Are you kidding me? He's a newspaper opinion writer on sports! Rambling incoherently is part of their job description!
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Yeah, I definitely didn't take that article the least bit seriously.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

The 2% upsetting wasn't because I took it seriously, but because there are people out there like that.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's kind of what I thought, I just wasn't sure. Good to hear you're not One of Them (pigdog Amerikkkans).