Costume Ideas

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Re: Costume Ideas

Post by Kovvy »

Olax wrote:I will make puppets that look like you, and then transfer your soul to them. Then, I will make marionettes from your lifeless bodies. But I will name them differently*, so no one will link those modern Pinocchios to your mysterious disappearance.
Will that be acceptable?

*I will name them all Grundlefunk, except for Edminster's; his body shall be called Derby.
Haha, well, it made me laugh and that is probably the same thing as agreeing. Damn and blast.
But I lost my soul years ago-- will this be a problem?
Lethal Interjection wrote:
Kovvy wrote:A fetish?

But really I just want to know what I'm getting into.
Because I don't want to be killed to be made into a puppet.
Then you clearly have pretty tame fetishes.
:\ I blame my lack of a soul. It makes me relatively prudish, oddly enough.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

No soul? That means Olax's plan won't work.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Olax
something about a horse and a face
Location: The Hague, Netherlands, about 1.5018×10³ m below the surface

Post by Olax »

Well, an assistant doesn't need a soul. I can live with one puppet less.
I'm not dead. Just mysteriously absent.
I mysteriously reappeared. Shazam.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Oh! I can be an assistant too?
And I read some reviews of that book on Amazon, and what I remember most is that you (you evil puppeteer, you) will ultimately find love in the end. <3

Edit: BUT WHICH ASSISTANT WILL YOU CHOOSE??

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Considering as how I also am lacking a soul, I think that makes me the competition.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Olax

Post by Olax »

Kovvy wrote:And I read some reviews of that book on Amazon, and what I remember most is that you (you evil puppeteer, you) will ultimately find love in the end. <3
I don't. The book is quite a depressing story.
The movie Disney made out of it, on the other hand, has this happy ending you talk about.

And I think I can make an ironic reference to the book if I abuse seven assistants, and make money with just one doll.

An anus on a stick, probably.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I would like to see this puppet!

Here's the review from Amazon:

"This slender little novel is possibly one of the most beautiful love stories ever written. Inspired by puppeteers Fran Allison and Burr Hillstrom (to whom it is dedicated), this haunting tale by Paul Gallico weaves a spell of wonder, pain and enchantment. It is a love story in which innocent love (personified by the gamin, Mouche) and cynical hatred (embodied by the evil puppeteer, Michel Peyrot) are locked in mortal combat for the ultimate prize of the man's soul. Peyrot, who goes under the stage name Captain Coq, had a nightmarish childhood and adolescence devoid of human love. His bitter view of his fellow man is only solidified by his experiences in a war. He decides that God deserves nothing but his mockery, so to mock his Creator the man carves puppets, forming them into all of the facets of his complex personality. There are seven dolls: Ali the clumsy giant, self-absorbed and jealous Gigi, world-weary Madame Muscat, kindly Monsieur Nicholas, the bookwormish Dr. Duclos, efficient and clever Carrot-Top, and the thieving fox Reynardo. At first carved to amuse the guards when Peyrot is a POW, the puppets begin to take on a life of their own. This is shown when the girl Mouche walks toward the Seine River to end her miserable life. The puppets call out to her and draw her into their magical world; she interacts with them as though they are living beings like herself. Mouche is so charming that she becomes part of the act. Unfortunately, the master of the puppets is a cruel man who has given himself over to an existence devoted to evil. He despises the girl for the very innocence that makes her such a successful part of his puppet show. To her face, Peyrot shows the depths of his cruelty, even raping her in a vain attempt to debase her to his level. Yet though he can ravage her body, he cannot touch her soul, which is healed anew every day by the love he shows her through his puppets. His inability to reconcile his hatred for general humanity with the unwelcome tenderness Mouche arouses in him leads to schizophrenia, which is manifested by the schism between himself and the puppets. After a time, he does not control them; they compel him to change. In the end, when Mouche prepares to leave, he reveals his plan to commit suicide through the dolls, who plan to destroy themselves. She then realizes who the puppets truly are, and her love for Peyrot brings him back from the edge of the pit into which he'd planned to fling himself. He weeps in remorse, his deformed soul at last becoming human. Feminists would doubtless be upset by her forgiveness of this man's cruelty, but women have long possessed an amazing ability to embrace men's imperfections.(Which is not to say that women are perfect.) Long before psychobabble such as Martian Men and Venusian Women surfaced, this story served to beautifully point out that men and women may be equal, but they are certainly not the same. This is a magical tale, woven by a master story-teller. I highly recommend it. "

Maybe this is just in the English version?

Olax

Post by Olax »

Hm. Curious. I was quite sure the girl fell in love with another man, and the puppeteer was lonely again. Perhaps I'm confusing this story with my own life...

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Wikipedia wrote:Helen Deutsch's adaptation is [somewhat] true to the essential core of Gallico's story, but there are many differences, and Gallico's book is far, far darker in tone. In the book, the girl's nickname is Mouche ("fly") rather than Lili. The puppeteer is named Michel Peyrot, stage name Capitaine Coq, rather than Paul Berthalet. He is not a crippled dancer, rather "he was bred out of the gutters of Paris." Yet something moves him to save the potential suicide.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Olax

Post by Olax »

Yeah, but according to that same Wikipedia both film and book have a "happy" ending. The film has a more Disneyesque ending.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I know nothing of the story to be honest. It seems interesting.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Heehehehehe... "Captain Coq"...

PoogmaPaigh

Costume Ideas

Post by PoogmaPaigh »

So girls and boys... with halloween coming up, i have noticed a lot more costume threads popping up, and someone always has a fancy dress party to go to... so i thought that i would start this new thread... the..

Fancy Dress / Halloween / Costume Ideas Thread
If everyone can post their costume ideas, and if you can include pics then we will get a whole list of ideas Also, if people go to costume parties, please feel free to post pics

Olax

Post by Olax »

That's such a good idea!

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Halloween's not coming up!
Wait, it is... in just a few months! Like, 10!

Okay, so, uh, Harley Quinn, Leela, one of the nurses from Silent Hill, uhh... I dunno!