Omens

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Omens

Post by Kovvy »

So in addition to my computer problems (a couple that I didn't mention involving homework), I think I might be about to die.

Haha. I kid. Probably. But if I do die tell people I saw it coming.

I'm not really superstitious but something weird just happened. All of a sudden outside my window there was a huge ruckus-- a bunch of crows cawing their little hearts out. I peer out the window and see a veritable cyclone of crows flying around, cawing, cawing. It reminded me of that scene, I think it was in Constantine? Or possibly Day Watch or Night Watch? Some movie about supernatural stuff. Where there was that huge murder of crows in a tornado-shaped formation circling above the building.
So they flew around in circles for, I don't know, five or ten minutes. I stopped watching after a couple minutes. It's quiet outside again...
It was just weird. I've never seen that many crows in one place before, and they were all so loud! There must have been at least a hundred of them.

Maybe the omen means I should do my damn homework and stop thinking about birds.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: Omens

Post by smiley_cow »

Hmm, omens of death you say? If you think you're about to die, you might also want to watch out for: Big black dogs (especially if they have glowing eyes and you can hear chains), a woman washing blood out of your clothes, three hooded figures knocking on your door (one will be a young woman, the other two old men), green dogs the size of a cow with shaggy fur and a curled tail, or a weird howling at night.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Oh no the Grim! And stuff I've never heard of before! Danger is all about!

I'll keep an eye out.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I've experienced the crow thing once after a crow get electrocuted on a powerline about 5 minutes away, and crows seem to have come in from every direction to fly around the site where it happened. I perceived it as a sort of mass funeral service more than a bad omen.

I've had memorable dreams about things happening that later happened as I had dreamt them, but they are always so vague that I can not predict when and where they would happen, but when it comes to detecting omens, I think they are or would have been useful as a way of determining one's own mindset when coming into important situations, as you're going to be far more likely to interpret somnething as a bad omen if you are feeling worried, even if only on a subconscious level, and intepreting a good open would only occur if you had as ense of optimism. It sort of helps the self-fulfilling prophesy.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

There was the craziest electrical storm going on at midnight before my twentieth (I think) birthday, with lightning jumping from one part of the clouds to another, never to the ground, over and over. From inside, it looked like there was a strobe light going off somewhere outside. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

So I did the obvious thing, which was to strip naked and go outside to lay in the grass and watch it until I started to get rained on.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Oh and also, we had a crazy storm earlier this year. It hit hardest around the university where I was in class at the time, and it felt as though the apocalypse had come. A lot of people say it was the worst storm they'd witnessed here in their entire lives, even the older folks say that it was the heaviest downpour of hail and ice they've seen, even though it used to downpour a lot more ferociously around 30 years ago. It coincided with some pretty crazy and terrible stuff happening to me that was going to be the feature of my NaNoWriMo entry until I stopped.I should really finish that damn story.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Sahan wrote:I've experienced the crow thing once after a crow get electrocuted on a powerline about 5 minutes away, and crows seem to have come in from every direction to fly around the site where it happened. I perceived it as a sort of mass funeral service more than a bad omen.
That sounds pretty plausible for crows for how social they are. They also only rarely commit cannibalism, which is kind of interesting (I just learned this, 'cause it was my first thought when you mentioned it).

I saw a pretty severe storm a couple years back. I'm walking to a friend's house, and the sky suddenly begins to turn black and grey in some parts... Soon after, the wind picks up enough that I can barely even walk against it. Things are getting knocked over and there are huge clouds of dust and garbage forming on the street. I can't see shit 'cause the wind is pushing dust into my face and it is actually painful. Suddenly, it starts to downpour and the wind totally stops. Worst storm I've ever seen.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.