Which Of These Ten Magical Items Would You Choose? And Why?

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

PyroPrav
The party don't start 'til I chime in

Which Of These Ten Magical Items Would You Choose? And Why?

Post by PyroPrav »

1. A pot that can produce 1,000 kilograms of any food a day.
  2. A bracelet that keeps weather perfect wherever you go and within a 250 kilometre radius.
  3. A necklace that allows you to touch books and instantly absorb knowledge from them, without reading.
  4. An unlimited bottle of perfume that will make you wildly attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex if you’re gay), which cannot be used on anyone you love.
  5. A watch that allows you to reverse time by a minute or less per day.
  6. A bell that when rang fixes any one object at a time, excluding living things, within a minute.
  7. A chocolate bar, with twelve pieces, that makes anyone who eats a single piece invincible and youthful until the age of 160.
  8. A no fuel required, maintenance free, eight person van that can take you anywhere on the planet within one second.
  9. A remote control that allows you and another person to change, superficially, into anyone you want; the effect lasts until you decide to revert.
  10. An immortal dog that poops out one gold coin every time it goes to the bathroom.
They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Re: Which Of These Ten Magical Items Would You Choose? And W

Post by carbonstealer »

I was going to choose number one, because it seemed like the ideal solution to my current financial problems. However number 7 seems to be the best bet, because 12 people just about covers how many people I like in this world, and if I'm invincible I can't die of starvation therefore - no need to buy food anyway! I get to afford to live and stay young and beautiful while I'm at it, also go on a super good diet. Really, the possibilities are endless. My wife and I contributing to the world for 160 years, and our children continuing on after us to complete our work, bringing on a golden age of enlightenment and correct use of apostrophes
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

PyroPrav

Post by PyroPrav »

Yeah, until someone traps you in a reinforced safe and drops you to the bottom of the ocean, where you spend the next good century drowning over and over, but never dying.
They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Ah... what part of army of immortal children do you not understand?
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

PyroPrav wrote:
  1. A pot that can produce 1,000 kilograms of any food a day.
    - Would be great for charity. Hop the globe giving food to impoverished people, funding yourself by producing expensive stuff like white truffles and selling them.
  2. A bracelet that keeps weather perfect wherever you go and within a 250 kilometre radius.
    - What is perfect weather? I wouldn't want this one. It isn't that often that I'm unhappy with the weather.
  3. A necklace that allows you to touch books and instantly absorb knowledge from them, without reading.
    - It has some initial appeal, but ultimately I like the actual act of learning that comes with actual reading. There are some benefits to it, but I'm not sure it is enough.
  4. An unlimited bottle of perfume that will make you wildly attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex if you’re gay), which cannot be used on anyone you love.
    - Again, there is some appeal to this, but I'm not enough of a player to make any use of it.
  5. A watch that allows you to reverse time by a minute or less per day.
    - I'd barely use this. And when I would, it would probably be something trivial that I'd use it on. I might have regrets about how something went, but the way I reacted is the way I am. Maybe not the way I wish something would go, but most likely I'd just end up repeating the same thing.
  6. A bell that when rang fixes any one object at a time, excluding living things, within a minute.
    - Has a "career" potential, and also has some charitable aspects to it (fixing expensive hospital machinery and the like), but it is a little too boring for my tastes.
  7. A chocolate bar, with twelve pieces, that makes anyone who eats a single piece invincible and youthful until the age of 160.
    - Some real appeal here, too. Ultimately there are too many intangibles and complications that come with this.
  8. A no fuel required, maintenance free, eight person van that can take you anywhere on the planet within one second.
    - This would be my top choice for sure. Money making potential, and just general awesomeness potential. Travel the world without the complications of wasted time on planes and such.
  9. A remote control that allows you and another person to change, superficially, into anyone you want; the effect lasts until you decide to revert.
    - I'm not really sure how I'd even use this. Impersonation? I guess it has dishonest money-making potential, but it would also have some really nasty side effects, and would really ruin the idea of celebrity if anyone caught on. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still.
  10. An immortal dog that poops out one gold coin every time it goes to the bathroom.
    - I'd feed that dog so much! But ultimately, I don't think even the most over-fed dog would poop enough gold coins to equal the money-making potential of a large chunk of the previous options.
Those are some of my thoughts on each.

PyroPrav

Post by PyroPrav »

Yeah, until someone traps you and the other 11 people and the immortal children and everything! in a reinforced safe and drops you to the bottom of the ocean, where you spend the next good century drowning over and over, but never dying.

Is that better?

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

At least the company will be fantastic

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Of course, there are some major potential problems with all of the options.
-One major solution is if the "magic" was not transferable. If not, I'd gather that you wouldn't have the item for very long, no matter what it was.*
-Even then, you would have people trying to get the item, and then hold it hostage.
-Then there is the mooching problem. There are a lot of these that would have any number of governments, charities, organizations, etc. knocking on your door day after day after day.

Those are just a few difficulties.

*Aside from maybe the chocolate bar, if you had the 12 comfortably chosen already.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I would personally pick number 3. It would save me so much time in the long run.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

yeah give me the fucking shitty watch
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

PyroPrav wrote:Yeah, until someone traps you and the other 11 people and the immortal children and everything! in a reinforced safe and drops you to the bottom of the ocean, where you spend the next good century drowning over and over, but never dying.

Is that better?

Who does that? Goes around putting people in safes and dumping them in the ocean?
She didn't even say she was going to use her new invincibility to go out and oppress and conquer.

Reinforced safes aren't cheap, you know.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

[*]A pot that can produce 1,000 kilograms of any food a day.
Useless, any money you could make with this would be negated by the sudden overabundance of the item you made. 1,000 kilograms of white truffles on the market would devalue white truffles too much. Plus people would become suspicious. It's also probably not enough to solve the worlds hunger problem (I don't know, it's all maths to me!) so if you can't fix it all...

[*]A bracelet that keeps weather perfect wherever you go and within a 250 kilometre radius.
Perfect weather? I agree with lethal. What is perfect weather? I actually like changes and variations. I think I'd even enjoy the cyclone blowing in, because it's different.

[*]A necklace that allows you to touch books and instantly absorb knowledge from them, without reading.
I like this, of course, but I also think it's not good enough. Absorbing knowledge and being able to use it are two different things, you'd probably end up being a know-it-all prat with no-one to talk to. Unless you could hand it around... but still I like the idea of earned knowledge.

[*]An unlimited bottle of perfume that will make you wildly attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex if you’re gay), which cannot be used on anyone you love.
This would be better if it worked on everyone, then you could enslave the world. Half the world is okay, but since it's a perfume they'd have to be in scent range... And I'm definitely not a player so this is, again, useless.

[*]A watch that allows you to reverse time by a minute or less per day.
I wonder if you can do much good in a minute? If your at the right place maybe, but the best it's going to do it give me back one line in a conversation. I've never said anything so damning that it's worth giving up the other options.

[*]A bell that when rang fixes any one object at a time, excluding living things, within a minute.
This could be useful. It's not limited to one a day. You'd certainly never have anything broken around the house. You could buy the cheapest of everything (except food) and just repair it all with a little bell ring. The more I think about this the better it seems.

[*]A chocolate bar, with twelve pieces, that makes anyone who eats a single piece invincible and youthful until the age of 160.
I'm pretty youthful (shut up), but I'm still fat. This doesn't specify my state of health, what if I end up like one of them blob creatures until I turn 160, and I can't die! Plus the other 11 pieces? That's a conundrum. Who to give it too, you would always regret who you picked and why you picked them. You would always wonder if things had been better another way. Though if I could be healthy, youthful and invincible... I think I'd pick this. Once you have those three things your doing pretty well (though the 160th birthday would be a bitch).

[*]A no fuel required, maintenance free, eight person van that can take you anywhere on the planet within one second.
Could be fun, and is a nice thought. I could go holidaying with my family at anytime anywhere. But besides from seeing the world it offers little.

[*]A remote control that allows you and another person to change, superficially, into anyone you want; the effect lasts until you decide to revert.
Blah. I like being me, even if me sucks sometimes.

[*]An immortal dog that poops out one gold coin every time it goes to the bathroom.[/list]
Would it be a coin on it's own? Or would it come in a pile of poo you had to wash away every day? This is... why bother with immortal, your not immortal, your not getting much out of this once you die. Besides the poor thing, shitting out a coin can not be comfortable. (You should have said a golden nugget!) And who's going to protect the welfare of this dog once you die? No-one it will probably be kept in a cage like a battery chicken.

THEREFORE:
Based on the information I have, I'm gong to go with the bell. May as well live comfortably while I'm around. Potential for money making, easy enough to hide, etc. Close second is the chocolate bar.

carbonstealer wrote:At least the company will be fantastic
You'd probably even get used to it. Not to mention it can't take 160 years to break through reinforce steal with your bare hands.
King Prawn

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I do like the bell idea. Show up at a junkyard and get a whole lot of brand new cars on the cheap.

The van would be handy for robbing banks.

I don't know how much volume 1,000 kilograms of cotton candy would take up, but I bet it's enough for some hijinks.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

[*]A pot that can produce 1,000 kilograms of any food a day.
-This one is tempting, though that's a lot of food. For me the issue here would be what would I do with it? Would I sell it? Give it away? Does all 1 000 kilograms have to be the same food?

[*]A bracelet that keeps weather perfect wherever you go and within a 250 kilometre radius.
-I'm sure I'd screw up something pretty big if we stopped having our freezing winters. Also I love the rain!

[*]A necklace that allows you to touch books and instantly absorb knowledge from them, without reading.
-I really like reading, that's taking out all of the fun!

[*]An unlimited bottle of perfume that will make you wildly attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex if you’re gay), which cannot be used on anyone you love.
-Maybe this is just me being weird, but I really don't see the point of this one. Why would you want to attract anyone you don't love? (Also this is a horrifying concept even without that clause.)

-This would make me obsessive.

[*]A bell that when rang fixes any one object at a time, excluding living things, within a minute.
-I'm with Kimra, this seems like a useful tool.

[*]A chocolate bar, with twelve pieces, that makes anyone who eats a single piece invincible and youthful until the age of 160.
-This one is pretty tempting, I think. More for the invincibility than the staying young part (though don't get me wrong, definitely a positive). All the things you can do with no worry of injury is pretty exciting.

[*]A no fuel required, maintenance free, eight person van that can take you anywhere on the planet within one second.
-I like this idea a lot! Not even just for travelling (though of course for travelling) but no more icy roads! Will it be able to start in -30 weather without a blockheater?

[*]A remote control that allows you and another person to change, superficially, into anyone you want; the effect lasts until you decide to revert.
-This one could be fun in the sense of I wonder if people will treat me any differently if I were the opposite sex/a different skin colour/blonde/etc. But I think after a while I'd get bored of it. Though very useful for super secret agent type work! (Why yes I was watching Insecurities today, why do you ask?)

[*]An immortal dog that poops out one gold coin every time it goes to the bathroom.[/list][/quote]
I think I like this one more for the immortal dog part than the gold coin part. Having a pet die on you is pretty upsetting.

It's a difficult choice but in the end I think I'd go with the chocolate bar.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kimra wrote:[*]A pot that can produce 1,000 kilograms of any food a day.
Useless, any money you could make with this would be negated by the sudden overabundance of the item you made. 1,000 kilograms of white truffles on the market would devalue white truffles too much. Plus people would become suspicious. It's also probably not enough to solve the worlds hunger problem (I don't know, it's all maths to me!) so if you can't fix it all...
It wouldn't solve the world's hunger, no. But it would help. 1000kg of uncooked rice? That goes a long way if you were to tour impoverished nations. White truffles might not be the best example, but devaluation wouldn't be as big of a deal if you were smart about it. Kobe beef one day, truffles another (I'm not really sure how much 1000k of truffles would be, so you might be right in the devaluation of that item), bluefin tuna another, and so on.
I wonder if you can do much good in a minute? If your at the right place maybe, but the best it's going to do it give me back one line in a conversation. I've never said anything so damning that it's worth giving up the other options.
Exactly. A short conversation, perhaps a stubbed toe, but it wouldn't really have that much effect, and might make you even more frustrated when things go wrong, seeing every problem as a series of minutes you could've reversed. And often you don't even know that you made a mistake until well after a minute.
Could be fun, and is a nice thought. I could go holidaying with my family at anytime anywhere. But besides from seeing the world it offers little.
This one has a fair bit of money making potential. You don't think there are suits for big corporations that would pay a mint not to have to sit in a plane for 14 hours? What's a first class ticket to Japan from the US? $1500? Even with a meagre mark-up of 30%, you would make a lot of money. I think it would be reasonable to expect $10000 for an 8 hr day.