Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Post by Lethal Interjection »

DonRetrasado wrote:I have a friend who I've known for a while but we haven't talked in a while. Every once in a while she'll post to facebook, "I'm purging my list of facebook friends! If we don't talk all that often post here to make sure I don't delete you!" I usually don't post, inasmuch as while I have nothing against her, I don't really mind if someone I haven't had a single interaction with in years decides not to be e-friends with me anymore. Even so, I have escaped this purge every single time!!
Yeah, this is quite related to my post. I haven't seen one in quite some time. I have never, and will never, respond to such a post. Even if the friend was close (I don't think that's ever been an issue), I simply wouldn't play that game.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I don't know if this will resonate with any of you. It requires a particular type of facebook friend.

Basically there are quite a few of these images going around that essentially say "I wonder if I said 'Hello' on Facebook, how many friends would say it back". With the intention of people posting it to their wall to get a response. I've seen a few variations, including those that replace 'Hello' with 'Merry Christmas'. And some have something guilt-inducing with it like "I think I know who will and who won't".
Yeah, I see a lot of those. I really don't like any post that tries to guilt you into reposting. It feels emotionally manipulative. Though my facebook feed is all kinds of nuts anyways, it's usually half anti-GMO rants and cancer cures (like apparently garlic!) and people complaining about how it's OK to be racist against white people. So I think at this point I'm tuning a lot of it out.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Last week a boy (now age 34 or 35) with whom I was in 1st and 2nd grade (age 6-8) added me on Facebook and messaged me that he has been looking for me forever and that I'm his one true love. Yes, I'm serious. We were best friends back then, but still, this is creepy. I can kind of forgive him, he is developmentally challenged, in 2nd grade he could not read and write much and was still eating water colors, then he had to leave the school and go to a different one (inclusion of students with disabilities was not a thing yet back then).
Microaggression? Microaggression!

tuongtrante1

Post by tuongtrante1 »

No need to get fancy if it's just down the street.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:Last week a boy (now age 34 or 35) with whom I was in 1st and 2nd grade (age 6-8) added me on Facebook and messaged me that he has been looking for me forever and that I'm his one true love. Yes, I'm serious. We were best friends back then, but still, this is creepy. I can kind of forgive him, he is developmentally challenged, in 2nd grade he could not read and write much and was still eating water colors, then he had to leave the school and go to a different one (inclusion of students with disabilities was not a thing yet back then).
That sounds creepy. I understand he is developmentally challenged, but that would freak me out.
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

He also messaged that we supposedly kissed before I moved away in 3rd grade. I'm preeeetty sure we never kissed.

JohnReed

Post by JohnReed »

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down....))

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Discussing politics at family events. I'm on a brief vacation with some of my in-laws. My family has always had a rule that is rude to discuss politics at family gatherings. Both my parents have shut people down who brought up view points that I know my parents agree with a simple, "no politics at the dinner table thank you." They did that because they knew not everyone agreed and didn't want anyone to be uncomfortable. I don't know about my mother in law's politics because she never engages in that type discussion. My brother in law's mother in law on the other hand hand just won't shut up. And it is really hard for me to restrain myself. Even on the rare occasion I agree with her, her opinions are often so poorly formed and argued that it makes me want to jump in.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Corporate social networking aggregation sites (LADbible/Buzzfeed-esque minnow sites) that merely re-post humorous content and add the phrase "WHO DID THIS?? :lol: :lol: :lol: "

All it does is give them licence to share other people's original content without crediting them. I find it infuriating. You know exactly who did this, because you are a company who sources these kinds of things, and then use their hard work and creativity for your own self-promotion.

The problem is, if one does find oneself with a short but humorous video that has the potential to go viral, adding your copyright/handle to it looks pretentious and self-serving (and less likely to achieve popularity), but it's the only way you can really protect your content from these content leeches.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

People who have their work email set to automatically request a read receipt for every email they send. This is especially annoying now that someone has had our IT contractor disable my ability to set my email to automatically ignore all read receipt requests.

I'm considering whether I should just set my email to automatically accept read receipt requests so I don't have to deal with it or just click 'no' for every request as retaliation.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Felstaff wrote:Corporate social networking aggregation sites (LADbible/Buzzfeed-esque minnow sites) that merely re-post humorous content and add the phrase "WHO DID THIS?? :lol: :lol: :lol: "

All it does is give them licence to share other people's original content without crediting them. I find it infuriating. You know exactly who did this, because you are a company who sources these kinds of things, and then use their hard work and creativity for your own self-promotion.

The problem is, if one does find oneself with a short but humorous video that has the potential to go viral, adding your copyright/handle to it looks pretentious and self-serving (and less likely to achieve popularity), but it's the only way you can really protect your content from these content leeches.
Tack onto that meme-ing or reditting content. The first is capturing the video/picture but rehosting it with a border that has some banal headline/caption. Reditting is essentially the same thing but instead of the black border it has a thread of reddit comments below. Both are, intentionally or not, somewhere between standing in another person's spotlight and outright theft.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I marvel that those aggregators make enough money to be worthwhile. A couple of my friends subscribe to LADbible and similar pages. They pop up when they comment, always tagging a friend, alongside 60 thousand others doing the same. It's nuts. So I suppose no, I don't marvel that they earn enough.

Most of these friends are European or Australian.

On a related note, the existence of Buzzfeed News is really weird. It makes me uncomfortable when the telling of and the analysis of news aren't clearly separated. Or when people get their daily information from places like Reddit.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I get mine from Twitter.

I have never seen or heard of such a social media aggregation site before.

doberso

Post by doberso »

I was like, "lady, I didn't even *know* this guy, and besides, he's probably looking down on us and laughing--if there were such a thing as heaven (which, may I remind you, there's NOT)--so don't tell me where I can and can't eruct. These church walls make for great acoustics. Anyway, sorry I barged in. You may now continue with your service, Father."

doberso

Post by doberso »

Check what your friends do in a similar situation and compare with your actions.