Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Relatedly, I read somewhere that one of the Facebook changes occurring soon include event organizers (I assume) seeing whether or not people have actually viewed their event invites.
I mean ultimately this will just create an extra level of potential attendance. There will now be "Attending", "Not attending", "Maybe attending" and "Seen but non-committal". The difference between the latter two options being that "Maybe" means probably not but I feel obligated to consider it, and "Seen but non-responsive" means that I almost certainly won't be going but don't want to offend.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I'm suddenly offended I wasn't invited DR.

On a side note my musician sister has made it abundantly clear that I must mark all music gigs she invited me to as 'attending' even if I have absolutely no intent to attend. This is some sort of 'manipulate people into thinking it's going to be a banging gig' thing. I don't know, I just say I'm going then stay at home in my pj's like a smart person.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Manipulating people through social media, hooray. It is nice to see regular people doing it instead of just advertising agencies. I had some friends that bartended at a club. All the employees had to have facebook pages* and tell people when they were working and offer to put them on the guest list. There was no guest list. They would gladly charge you a cover if you were willing to pay it, but anyone could say they were "on the list" and stroll in for free. It was all set up just to make people like they were special so they would go to that club.

*The owners did let them set up a second page to promote instead of using their personal page, but promoting the club on Facebook was a condition of employment.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

People looking at their smartphones when you're spending time together (when unrelated to topic of conversation + other person not reading a book/on their computer).

It kinda makes me want to hurl their phone across the room.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:People looking at their smartphones when you're spending time together (when unrelated to topic of conversation + other person not reading a book/on their computer).

It kinda makes me want to hurl their phone across the room.
I don't really mind it so much, so long as the other person is paying attention and is able to engage properly. I do get pretty angry when customers pull that on me and are barely paying attention to the important stuff that I am telling them.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I get annoyed when it is a constant thing. Once an hour or less is ok, but more than that is really distracting.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

While that does annoy me, I also get very annoyed when I'm at work and trying to deal with work stuff via email or text on my phone and someone comes up to me and just starts talking. I know with some of the people it is because they didn't think about it since they don't use their smart phone for work, and so their natural assumption is that I'm just screwing around. But others are just rude.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Yeah, it's more than an hour.

I can't sit and read a book with one of my housemates while she crochets because she talks to me the entire time.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I can't sit and read a book with one of my housemates while she crochets because she talks to me the entire time.
I can't sit and read with anyone! I just assume they'll be big distractions. If it's too noisy at home I'll often get on a bus just to read.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

I tend to get really absorbed when I'm reading, to the point of not hearing things being said around me or even registering that anyone is talking at all.
I have missed out on many a thing Mx Apoc has tried to tell me due to this, which is annoying for both of us really.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Apocalyptus wrote:I tend to get really absorbed when I'm reading, to the point of not hearing things being said around me or even registering that anyone is talking at all.
I have missed out on many a thing Mx Apoc has tried to tell me due to this, which is annoying for both of us really.
Mrs Kaharz and myself are very familiar with this situation, but we both do it so we try not to get to annoyed with each other when we interrupt or fail to hear.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kaharz wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:I tend to get really absorbed when I'm reading, to the point of not hearing things being said around me or even registering that anyone is talking at all.
Mrs Kaharz and myself are very familiar with this situation, but we both do it so we try not to get to annoyed with each other when we interrupt or fail to hear.
Yes, often I will get annoyed at Mx Apoc for not remembering something I told them, only for ten minutes later it to happen again but the other way around.
Maybe we just aren't good listeners...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I don't know if this will resonate with any of you. It requires a particular type of facebook friend.

Basically there are quite a few of these images going around that essentially say "I wonder if I said 'Hello' on Facebook, how many friends would say it back". With the intention of people posting it to their wall to get a response. I've seen a few variations, including those that replace 'Hello' with 'Merry Christmas'. And some have something guilt-inducing with it like "I think I know who will and who won't".

I simply do not. It takes a real shitty person to post something like that.
1) It's a ridiculous cry for attention.
2) Not even even in a sad pitying way, but in a passive aggressive way.
3) Worst of all, though, it has the implication that the person posting doesn't give one shit about anyone else, but wants everyone to give all the shits about them. They won't say 'hello' to anyone save by posting this generic bullshit, but expect others to personally respond back.
I can't stand it.

Basically I wish they had a stronger tool than 'unfollow'. Something that would allow you to delete a friend and feel confident that the other person wouldn't know without a little research. No more showing up in newsfeeds regardless of shared friends, no more showing up in 'suggested friends' even though you only deleted them a few months back. Basically it would be like the ex-blocking that FB is apparently developing but a little different. Because I have at least 6 annoying coworkers who I accepted on FB only out of workplace civility.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

I've been back on Facebook for about 3 weeks. It became necessary in order to have a social life outside of sitting in bars. There is a way to "restrict" people so they will not show up in anyway or be able to contact you through Facebook. It is the harsher version of unfollow. I did it to a coworker before I figured out unfollow.

Also, Facebook is just as terrible as I remember it being when I stopped using it five or six years ago with the added bonus that their software is way better at stalking you. Having to be on Facebook in order to be socially engaged is a massive pet peeve.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I have a friend who I've known for a while but we haven't talked in a while. Every once in a while she'll post to facebook, "I'm purging my list of facebook friends! If we don't talk all that often post here to make sure I don't delete you!" I usually don't post, inasmuch as while I have nothing against her, I don't really mind if someone I haven't had a single interaction with in years decides not to be e-friends with me anymore. Even so, I have escaped this purge every single time!!

The other day I got added by some South African teenager, which is the sort of thing that used to happen to me in high school all the time but cooled off after a while. As far as I can tell it's some goof who's trying to inflate their friends count (or maybe their account got hacked).