Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I just spend 2 minutes looking for the whining thread.

Housemate, who is generally awesome, despite my bitching, thought it would be okay to wipe off acrylic paint onto other housemate's nice cloth hand towel. We both gently pointed out that that wasn't really their function, but he it didn't seem like he understood. We pressed the point a little more and he said, "gah! I'm sorry, I fucked up!" which was annoying because he hadn't actually apologized in the first place. The last part is really the peeve, though he had been using the nicely hung hand/dish towels to wipe up food spots or the floor.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I just spend 2 minutes looking for the whining thread.

Housemate, who is generally awesome, despite my bitching, thought it would be okay to wipe off acrylic paint onto other housemate's nice cloth hand towel. We both gently pointed out that that wasn't really their function, but he it didn't seem like he understood. We pressed the point a little more and he said, "gah! I'm sorry, I fucked up!" which was annoying because he hadn't actually apologized in the first place. The last part is really the peeve, though he had been using the nicely hung hand/dish towels to wipe up food spots or the floor.
I feel like I might be in the same boat as your roommate? I mean, I wouldn't use any hand-towel of any sort to wipe up paint. But I don't quite recognize the importance of linens as many others do.

I can't say I've ever used anything as a hand-towel, specifically. And I use my few dishtowels for any number of things, from floor spills to dish-drying to other cleaning. Granted, they never cross purposes. I just might launder them more than many would?

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

My wife didn't recognize the difference between my shop rags and the towels we use for all kinds of stuff. The towels get cleaned regularly because we will use them to wipe up spills, dry dishes, etc. But the shop rags get used for all kinds of really nasty stuff and don't always get cleaned between uses.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I think my main issue is that we told him he covered one of her nice cloth towels with paint and, after we told him that was a bad thing, didn't think to apologize.

A success story with him is that after 3 years of living in an apartment and house with him that has a dishwasher with only a bottom spraying arm, he finally understands that you can't put bowls and bowl-like things on the bottom rack because it makes the washer leave food residue on the top rack items. Then he would get mad at dishwashers for it. Or because he left food to dry on dishes for 2 weeks and wondered why the dishwasher didn't remove it.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Short version:

People who don't credit their source.

Long version:

I recently posted the Shia Labeouf video to Facebook for my friends' enjoyment. I really don't care about (but appreciate) likes or shares for said material. Thanks to this forum and it's international residency, I do occasionally find myself ahead of many of my national counterparts in some aspects. And when possible (if shared by a forumite I have on FB) I do give credit where credit is due (I think Sahan is probably my best witness in this respect).
But, with said Shia Labeouf video, I had a friend share said video without credit. Now 'friend' might be generous outside of FB. 'Friend of a friend' or 'former mutual acquaintance' might be more appropriate. Now, in perhaps a he-who-doth-protest-too-much way, I somewhat resent her not crediting me with her amusement with such a humourous video. Ultimately I'm just happy this fantastic video is getting more views. But privately I am curious as to why she refrained from actually crediting me from what I am reasonably sure must have been my source material (from her perspective, anyways).
I realize this seems really petty. And I hate using the social-network framework as being a personal pet-peeve. But here we are.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Non-apology apologies.

When I was little and forced to apologize for things I had done, I was spanked if I was insincere. I was punished either way if I did wrong, but I was punished more harshly if I lied about whether or not I regret my actions. As a result I don't say "I'm sorry" unless I absolutely do feel guilt and regret, to the point where I say 'my condolences' when sharing grief instead of the much more common "i'm sorry".

So a friend of mine (Rick O'Shea in the screenshots below) posted a link to the news report about Eric Garner's killers not being indicted with his own comment simply 'murder', it drew a bunch of police apologists out. This exchange is about seventy posts deep into the comment thread and it just thoroughly pissed me off. I'm Sue Shee in the exchange.

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

"If I don't stand behind the police's insane murderers then people will think I am an insane murderer!"
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Edminster wrote:Non-apology apologies.
Agreed. I bloody hate the current trend of public figures and companies reacting to a fuckup by something like 'I'm sorry if anyone was offended, it wasn't meant that way'. It's basically just saying that they are just sorry that people didn't like what they did/said.

Everyone screws up, but how you actually react to being called out on your screw-up says a hell of a lot about what kind of person you are.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I've skipped over this entire conversation, as I saw it first pretty late into the convo. I really need to remedy that this weekend. I imagine it will be quite the breath of fresh air to get some (mostly, at least?) reasoned responses to what's going on. Rather than the unthinking, repetitive nonsense I'm typically reading on Facebook.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

More than one Celtic punk song in a row. Housemate was blasting it for a good hour and a half last night and at least an hour today. She's cleaning all her crap in the kitchen though so I'm not going to complain.

All the songs are the same!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:More than one Celtic punk song in a row. Housemate was blasting it for a good hour and a half last night and at least an hour today. She's cleaning all her crap in the kitchen though so I'm not going to complain.

All the songs are the same!
You are correct, in a way. I don't know that I would appreciate it in that context. However a Celtic Rock cover band playing at a bar with half-price mussels and half-price pints of Alexander Keiths? That was nearly every Thursday in my first and second year of university!

Barrett's Privateers!

Okay, that's not Celtic Punk. Honestly they didn't play much of what I'd call 'punk'. But they did pretty much stick to Spirit of the West and Great Big Sea.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

When I accidentally click the "Contact" button on a website and my laptop starts trying to set up Outlook.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

OUTLOOK LOVES YOU
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I don't love IT :x

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:When I accidentally click the "Contact" button on a website and my laptop starts trying to set up Outlook.
Yeah... thankfully my browser somehow now knows to open a new window with gmail instead, which is very convenient.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."