New(s) Province of Moltemedea

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

New(s) Province of Moltemedea

Post by mountainmage »

Well Ed added news, since the other 4 didn't quite cut it alone.

I'll start off:
http://news.aol.com/article/montana-pla ... h%2F392643

Alternate link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Monta ... C-12_crash

I feel bad because I laughed at the irony of it all.*

Post all news in this subforum!

*I'll admit it was inappropriate, but what can I say. I have a morbid sense of humor, sometimes.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: New(s) Province of Moltemedea

Post by Edminster »

Pfft, just like the News Media to cover up the fact that there were literally hundreds more corpses found around the crash scene.

For clarification, this subforum is for topics which use a News article as their base.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Edminster wrote:Pfft, just like the News Media to cover up the fact that there were literally hundreds more corpses found around the crash scene.
Was that the irony you were referring to? Otherwise, I missed it completely.

Seems like the Science and Philosophy forum has been where we've been discussing news lately. I'm of the opinion that it's a more natural fit than this one.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Not all news is science and philosophy related, though.

The irony I was referring to was that the bodies wouldn't have to go very far to be buried.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

mountainmage wrote:Not all news is science and philosophy related, though.
Well, sure, but you're going to have to extend the scope of a category either way. And I think it would make more sense to extend Sci-Phi than Moltemedea.
'sides, this category is pretty overloaded already.
mountainmage wrote:The irony I was referring to was that the bodies wouldn't have to go very far to be buried.
Right. Okay. Gotcha.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Perhaps we create a News Subforum, and consolidate all of the News-related posts in it? There are plenty scattered throughout the Forum, after all.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

But news is media, and it would not corrupt the city's origins, whereas if I were to add it to Sci-Phi, it would.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I don't disagree with you on this, mage. I'm just saying that G/M/M/TV is rather crowded as it is. Besides, News does merit it's own category, in my opinion.

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Alright, if you're willing to do all the paperwork*, go for it.

*figurative paperwork, that is.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I'm not only willing to do the paperwork, I'm willing to dredge through the Archives to seed the place with appropriate topics.

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Have at it, then! :)

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

I would argue that any discussion of the News will almost certainly involve Science or Philosophy, since those are how we understand... things... that happen.
And the existing scope of this forum is limited to entertainment media; throwing news in here would be a worse corruption, I think.

Edit: Oh. Well, there you have it, then.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Honestly we're so tightly packed together that we'd fit into only one forum, we just don't have enough regulars at the moment. The only thing to keep separate would be the lexicon because it takes up so much room.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:I don't disagree with you on this, mage. I'm just saying that G/M/M/TV is rather crowded as it is. Besides, News does merit it's own category, in my opinion.
Indeed it is. While it hasn't had many active threads lately, it covers a vast area. Most webcomic forums would have it subdivided further. I don't think we should, at least not at present. But adding news would clog it considerably more.

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

I'm fine with having a news subforum, as long it is left up the the creator of a thread which forum it goes into. For example, consider the thread titled abuse. I know this wasn't the case, but if Astasia had intended to include the article merely as an example or a catalyst for discussion about relativism, then the topic would belong in Sci&Phi. As it is, I think her intention was to discuss the event itself. Consequently, it works fine in news.

Basically, all I'm saying is that we should have both forums but leave topic placement up to the thread's creator, within reason. Obviously, I could make a thread about how long and awesome my nipple hair is and put it in Sci&Phi. You would be right to move it to general or Outlandia. In the case of news though, when there is a question about whether we are discussing events or the philosophy/science related to the events, the poster should be given the freedom to choose which forum they prefer. It's an indicator of the vision they have for the thread. If a thread is in Sci&Phi, then the poster probably intends to discuss deeper issues than just the events.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde