lol hay guise ima terrorist!

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: lol hay guise ima terrorist!

Post by Lethal Interjection »

PETA be crazy. Do they realize that they've become a parody of themselves?

Also, in Canadia there are probably more than just Alberta and Quebec that prefer provincial politics. I'd imagine a good portion of BC, and most of Newfoundland, and perhaps NB and NS too.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote: Also, in Canadia there are probably more than just Alberta and Quebec that prefer provincial politics. I'd imagine a good portion of BC, and most of Newfoundland, and perhaps NB and NS too.
Oh definitely, it's just that I actually just finished an entire course all about Quebec issues around separatism/nationalism/autonomy on Monday and in the prairies you hear a lot more about western alienation than you do about other discontented provinces. So they're what popped into my head first.

Actually is BC really that much for more provincial autonomy? I seem to remember talk of some kind of separatist movement back in the nineties, but I never realised it was all that popular. Of course I was eight at the time, you tend to misjudge things at that age.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

smiley_cow wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote: Also, in Canadia there are probably more than just Alberta and Quebec that prefer provincial politics. I'd imagine a good portion of BC, and most of Newfoundland, and perhaps NB and NS too.
Oh definitely, it's just that I actually just finished an entire course all about Quebec issues around separatism/nationalism/autonomy on Monday and in the prairies you hear a lot more about western alienation than you do about other discontented provinces. So they're what popped into my head first.

Actually is BC really that much for more provincial autonomy? I seem to remember talk of some kind of separatist movement back in the nineties, but I never realised it was all that popular. Of course I was eight at the time, you tend to misjudge things at that age.
I have heard of it, too. More than anything, I think BC just prefers to do things their own way in-province, rather than seceding. At least at this juncture.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah that fits pretty well with BC actually. Man if John A. could see the provincial/federal problems going on right now he'd be rolling in his grave. He tried so hard to give us a strong central government. :P
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

No kidding. Interesting how within Canadia we've actually developed multiple political cultures. We aren't even that big of a country.
Quebec.
Ontario.
BC.
Saskatchewan/Manitoba.
Alberta.
Maritimes.
Newfoundland.
And even the territories, I assume? I don't know much about their politics.
Each of these has their own issues and unique ideas.
Hardly centralized.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

All I know about the territories if that they have a non partisan system and once all their MLA's are chosen they vote on who will be premiere. And that Nunavut has some kind of reserve status, but honestly I'm really vague on the details. But I strongly suspect from watching North of Sixty, Due South and Yvonne of the Yukon that they have a very well established aboriginal or Inuit community up there.

I think it's almost ridiculous how many cultures we have for our size. If you're born in Manitoba, which as a population of 1.2 million roughly (I should probably double check that, but I won't) you're first language could be English, French, German (different dialects too depending on whether your Hudderite or Mennonite), Cree, Dene, Dakota, Michif, or Ojibwe. And that's only with already established communities, it says nothing about a recent immigrants, of which there are quite a few here. I like to point this out every time somebody tries to tell me that Canadia is a melting pot. :D

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I should retitle this thread "Canadian Politics Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo".
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Lethal Interjection wrote: We aren't even that big of a country.
That's somewhat false. We're not a populous country, yet we have a large territory, with diverse ressources, wich leads to different ways to interact with wealth and to play politics with that in mind.

Also, the three (english, french and native) cultures that are in question are mixed with a bunch of others mentality and cultures that are not as assimilated as they are in the states, for example, which leads to even more diversity.

TL;DR French canadians and their hydroelectricity are bound to think differently from English people that exploit oil in Alberta.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

gave a copy of the site's printout to my history teacher.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.