Creationism.

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Creationism.

Post by Kimra »

Where they grow bananas is where they grow pot. Point in case, about 30min from here we have the Pot capital of Australia. Go Nimbin.
King Prawn

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Kimra wrote:Where they grow bananas is where they grow pot. Point in case, about 30min from here we have the Pot capital of Australia. Go Nimbin.
My neighbors have a banana tree, does that mean they have a pot farm?

Also, I believe the phrase is "case in point".
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Only in the northern hemisphere.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Yeah? That seems highly dubious.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Well I'm no linguist, but I'm going with this guys explanation.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I'm a linguist, and in my professional opinion these phrases rarely make sense, because they often rely on antiquated ideas and are sometimes messed up along the way.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Also my understanding of language is that it is an evolving thing, and English's versatility and ability to evolve is actually the reason for it's continued popularity and use. So therefore as long as it's understood, it is correct enough.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Didn't I say that to you already? Except that English's supposed versatility compared to other languages is all historical. Not that exciting when you look at why, actually. In fact, the popular opinion at the moment is that overwhelming use of English is crushing many languages where they used to be spoken by indigenous populations. I think that's a very dumb thing to say but it captures the real reason for English's prevalence and use better; it's because of the extent of the British Empire, back what when it was around.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Any dominate language / culture / other crushs the non-dominate. That is sadly a human characteristic we shall not get over in a hurry. But English is versatile and it does adapt (I fear for the future of people who can only type in text speak. It's kind of like Christianity* (except more popular), it has a hundred subdivisions that don't quite get along and don't necessarily understand each other, but all come from the same roots.
King Prawn

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

*A major world religion.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

LordRetard wrote:Actually, I think it comes from Jamaica. That's what I been told. At my high school we had this Jamaican connoisseur of marijuana, who could tell you what was bad and what was really good, but the weird part was that he was straight-edge and super-Christian*.
Actually I've been told that at the competitions in Amsterdam, B.C. consistently wins top prize for the best pot.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Kimra wrote:Any dominate language / culture / other crushs the non-dominate. That is sadly a human characteristic we shall not get over in a hurry.
Doesn't bother me in the least. It's life.
Kimra wrote:But English is versatile and it does adapt (I fear for the future of people who can only type in text speak. It's kind of like Christianity* (except more popular), it has a hundred subdivisions that don't quite get along and don't necessarily understand each other, but all come from the same roots.
The thing I don't think a lot of people get is that other languages are undergoing similar processes... All languages have their own form of "text speak", and the most obnoxious I've actually seen myself is the people who use Latin alphabets to type in Cyrillic languages, because they pick the letter that looks the closest but other than that don't really know any "standard" methods of romanisation or pay attention to how the sounds are different, and they mix in different caps because they can't tell the difference. It's "why on earth do you have so many N's in the middle of your words?"

Thomas Aquinas

Post by Thomas Aquinas »

LordRetard wrote:
Kimra wrote:Any dominate language / culture / other crushs the non-dominate. That is sadly a human characteristic we shall not get over in a hurry.
Doesn't bother me in the least. It's life.
Yeah, I don't see the problem with this either. This is basically how evolution works, not just humanity, and in humans it leads to a stronger society. Imagine how much better the world would be, for example, if everyone spoke the same language.
not actually a saint.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Tower of Babel, yo.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Let me think... have I mentioned Japan today? Because Japanese steals from every language. Just add a couple of extra vowels, destroy all r's and make them l's, and it's a Japanese word.

p.s. I can also talk about not having running water but after that I fall flat on conversation topics.
King Prawn