A SERIOUS discussion about SOPA

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Keef

Re: A SERIOUS discussion about SOPA

Post by Keef »

They both help the rich and irresponsible while ignoring or punishing the poor and hard working.
If all the world was a stage, wouldn't it be flat?

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

SOPA and PIPA are about pirating and free speech, and was driven by pure greed from large parent companies like Viacom and Disney and would have had the power to black out a very large portion of the Internet. Too Big to Fail was about preventing a major economic collapse. Yes, the banks should have been regulated, yes, they should at least be properly regulated now. And yes, it was basically a band-aid solution that could very well create more problems without future proper legislation. But just because it also had faults doesn't make it suddenly comparable to SOPA and PIPA.
Last edited by smiley_cow on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Keef

Post by Keef »

That was very impassioned.

I still think they're comparable. Not necessarily because their foundations or legislative aims are similar, I'm aware they aren't. But they're both short sighted, narrow minded, selfish aims perpetrated by the government. I have not and will not support the government bailout of banks. If that money was to go anywhere it should have gone to keeping jobs in America through direct action rather than hoping the people that made the mistakes would see the error of their ways and clean the mess up. They didn't and from their attitude, through the crisis and since, it seems clear they've learned nothing but how to expect others to pay for their selfish behavior.

For years we've been told the lower and middle class American people are responsible for the economic crisis. I doubt many people actually believe it, but the message has been very blatantly broadcast. Now the people are attempting to correct what has been neglected by using ingenuity and creativity, the very things that founded America. No, these traits are not limited to America and neither are these efforts.

SOPA and PIPA would put a stranglehold on the ability for Americans to better their lives and improve the global economic situation. Those legislations would affect global economics, and most likely not for the better.

My comparison was not to say that SOPA and PIPA were the same as the bail outs. It was intended to show the ongoing trend of short sighted decision making still coming out of Washington in favor of corporate interests.

I do feel that corporations are a good thing. They're created through ingenuity and hard work, however just because you become successful doesn't give you the automatic right to stay that way. Your hard work needs to continue. If not, then you need to step aside and make room for the next person or group.

The bail outs were about keeping people in power and wealth who had stopped working to earn that power and wealth. In my opinion SOPA and PIPA follow the same principle. That is my comparison.

If you still think I'm wrong then I apologize. I'd be pleased if you'd explain your views to help me understand them better.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Keef wrote:My comparison was not to say that SOPA and PIPA were the same as the bail outs. It was intended to show the ongoing trend of short sighted decision making still coming out of Washington in favor of corporate interests.
Excellent damage control, Keef. 9/10
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Keef wrote: My comparison was not to say that SOPA and PIPA were the same as the bail outs. It was intended to show the ongoing trend of short sighted decision making still coming out of Washington in favor of corporate interests.
Not only are SOPA and PIPA the same* as the bailouts, every piece of legislation ever passed by Washington this century/last few years/decade is!

*Not the same, but whatever the exact relationship is.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

You know what I feel is really similar to SOPA/PIPA? The Beatles. I mean, they're like everything, you know?
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Hey guys you know what is exactly the same? Apples and oranges.

They are both delicious, both contain vital nutrients, both can be processed into a delicious juice, and get this: both grow on trees.

I can't think of anything more similar on this earth than apples and oranges.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Keef

Post by Keef »

I've got a friend who now thinks he's a rock because they're both made of minerals. Does that count?